1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTD: Twinset

Discussion in 'Personal Ads' started by Nick Ward, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

Hi all

So I think I might - over the next month or two - be in the market in the market for a twin set.. Not 100% sure if I want to get a ready built second hand set, or get the cylinders, wing etc separately and build my own...

Has anyone one got either a full set up or components they're looking to sell?

tia

Nick

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Do you know which types twinset you're after? The dumpier Fabers or the taller, generally white, 'Euros'? Euros are available with round or 'flat' bottoms which does make for easier handling.

3. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Might know someone in Essex selling Faber twin 12.

4. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

I don't - and to be completely honest, I'm not even sure I know what size I'm going for. I'm hoping to try a couple out in the very near future (certainly trying out twin 7s and 10s) - I have dodgy knees, so the 12's may be a smidge too much for me too lug around.

Figured I'd start looking now, see what was available and see if it could work for me...

5. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

One twinset is much the same as another once you've got the weighting right, and in the right place. My first two were Fabers (12s with boots) and they needed a tail-weight, for which I needed to cut a chunk out of the boots. The Euro16 were the best to dive but were stupidly heavy and always needed to lean against something to avoid them falling over.

I'd not bother with 7s, as they add nothing over single and pony. I'd also question the value of 10s, when you bear in mind that reserve needs to be enough for your stressed and gas-hungry buddy, irrespective of your gas consumption.

Nick Ward likes this.
  6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

There's many styles of twinsets and manifolds available. The big difference is moving to a rigid backplate, wing and frequently a one piece harness. Twinsets have many advantages including gas volumes, trim, balance and of course redundancy.

Whatever size or type of twinset you get, do ensure you can manipulate the valves. It's a knack but a bit of practice makes it easy.

But never as easy as sidemount!

7. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Which like any other bit of diving equipment is the right tool for the right job. Nothing more.

Sent from my iPad using Timmytalk

Wibble likes this.
  8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

BTW been reading your excellent blog on your Advanced Trimix course. Both interesting and very useful. Seriously contemplating it for later this year *if* I feel ready as I'm sure this isn't a course that one 'passes' easily. From reading your blog, I can see it's one to be very prepared for -- exactly the point of deep 'mix dives.

9. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

:smuggrinCome to the dark side , ohhhhhhhhhh, come to the dark side , come on in its warm , shhhhhhhhhh, come on it's quite , mmmmmmmmm, come to the dark side:smuggrin

10. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

I *think* I'm sorted for a set of twin 12's now thanks....

Dave Whitlow and Vanny like this.
  11. Dave Whitlow

@Vanny, :eek: how can diving proper S.C.U.B.A. be the dark side? I'd view diving a noisy, gas-limited, helium-wasting solution to be the dark side!

CCR must be the light side :D

For the first time since 2010, I recently dived a twinset and was surprised (horrified) at just how heavy it was. I reckon the weight was similar to my Inspo with 4 x 3l cylinders on it, but offered nothing like the same capacity to support life.

12. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

Are you not conveniently ignoring the weight of your bailout cylinder(s)?

13. Dave Whitlow

No. If I'd put 4 x 3s on the unit for harbour dives they'd have stayed at home :)

14. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

@Dave Whitlow , Jedi master you correct , we are firmly in the light , anyone considering OC advanced mix must be well and truly in the dark :droid:

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Not yet booked, but TBH that's not the point. The main thing is to study and practice as if I were to do it. The best of it is the theory's very applicable to the 'light' side, so none of that would be wasted.

Also one doesn't aim for the deepest; it's a slow build up/down to deeper dives as techniques are developed: bottom stage, hypoxic, travel gas protocols, three or four stages, ascent control, team working.... All interesting stuff and very applicable to shallow dives as well as deep. i.e. stuff I call fun!

16. Dave Whitlow

:eek: Doing it wrong I must be. Diving for fun do I!

17. JasonP

JasonP Active Member

You're doing it all wrong. You're suppose to practice endlessly in muddy puddles, building up to the big missions that you never actually do

Doomanic, Wibble, JohnL and 1 other person like this.
  18. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

New style of diving , DIW. Doing it wrong. DIR is so over rated. For a mere £500 you do funnymentals with my new tech agency GWD (globally wrong diving), Apply soon demand is expected to be high.

JohnL likes this.
  19. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

and here's me thinking the "W" stood for Wibble...

;)

Wibble likes this.