1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wreck/Cave diving

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Graysyid, May 17, 2018.

1. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

So after completing my drysuit course at Stoney last weekend, I went on to do the wreck speciality. Totally basic skills. Started off with mapping a wreck on a slate, finning skills (still shite) and then using a line and markers. I was all over the place with the line tie offs and putting the markers on, but it was good fun and have a total admiration for the way cave and wreck divers do it. I was told wreck penetration involves blackout masks, unplanned mask removals and "lose your line, lose your life" May pass on that atm

2. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Sounds fun. Get booked onto some wreck dives now !

jps likes this.
  3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The more you practice the easier it gets.

Have you dived on any wrecks in the uk?

4. nickb

nickb Active Member

I can count on the fingers of zero hands, the number of times I've ever lined-off on a wreck at 'recreational' depths or ever seen anyone do the same.

Wreck penetration is well beyond the remit of a 'wreck speciality' course. An orientation in basic marine architecture and ship layout would be of much greater use than fucking about with lining-off when you will either never use it or worse get yourself in a world of pain trying to do it and screwing it up.

5. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

I have, once. It was only because a fog appeared and a skipper still wanted to get paid so the dive went ahead and was return to shot.

Otherwise, totally agree, it ain't the way we dive wrecks.

6. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Having done the 'advanced wreck' course, with Mark Powell, that does involve a lot of lining off and the instructor making life 'interesting'. We did it in Malta. After doing the essential skills, and some repetition, we aborted the course (after buddy refused to accept any yet more unlikely failure), and dived the Polynesia cos that was a better idea.

7. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Lining a wreck is useful if

a) it is a big wreck
    b) it hasn’t decayed or been adapted specifically to have lots of daylight exits
    c) you have a serious intention to penetrate it

Most diving in the UK, these conditions barely exist. There are probably a few places.

If you go to the Zenobia or the Thistelgorm, virtually all of the holds and top decks are wide open (and laying a line would be a danger to others).

There are bits though, where the guides won’t take you, where you can get deep into their bowels and it might just about be worth line laying. I wouldn’t do it on a single cylinder, though, and that’s what most visitors are diving...

8. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Good point above from @Alex Denny - if you need to lay a line with markers/cookies (cookies on a wreck??!), then doing so on a single cylinder, even with a small pony, is daft.

I’ve used a ‘distance’ line before, but only once in typically atrocious Dover vis, with a fair current, where the skipper was adamant we return to the shot line as there were a couple of ‘tec’ divers on the boat who wanted an extended run time, so it wasn’t intended for penetration as such. I could see this posing difficulties for divers that have no experience of it, so covering it on a basic wreck course is not necessarily a bad thing.

Just get out there on a few shallow wreck dives and build up your experience - you’ll love it.