1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WOW! A smart diving mask?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Davon Hui, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Buzzers also need to be accurate. Thinking of the irritating beeps from the Suunto for no reason - I don't even hear it nowadays. Like those motorway matrix signs that suggest 50 mph when there's no reason.

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

So, you're one of those people that scream past me when I reduce speed.:jawdrop: I'd love to know how you know that there's no reason. And how much time you save by not slowing down - a minute, maybe two?

3. Depthdevil

Depthdevil New Member

When a buzzer is rattling you’re eyeballs around your head, I think that should get your attention? Someone mentioned turning alarms off! Is that really the point of an alarm? If the problem is solved, then the alarm will self cancel. But until that point? The old Sentinel, and consequently redhead and bare etc, seem to have the alarm bit sorted? I take notice of flashing lights, but if I have got involved with something, the buzzer is a game changer. It focuses you very quickly to your situation. Anyway, gotta go, I’m off diving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

i have seen quite a few masks lost/left behind/ not stored correctly so get broken. My mask I wear in the pool, bung it in a case when I go on a non diving holiday in case I get a chance to snorkel or dive, I might be reluctant to wear such a mask when teaching on a rescue course or training. So cost would be my main concern as I already have computers etc. Students tend to buy what there instructor recommends and as we already have our own kit we unlikely to buy one so wouldn't be able to recommend one. With students learning with computers dive schools are unlikely to buy an intergrated mask as they already have the computers etc.

5. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

There used to be a simple ascent rate alarm that fitted on your dive mask advertised in dive mags when I was learning. Instructor at the time said if you need one of those then I have failed as an instructor in teaching you to dive safely.

6. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Expensive is a fail which is why the Datamask and Nerd is also a fail.
    However the market for such items is not the diver that knows what they are doing and follow
    protocol, but the exact opposite.

Depth sensor driving a small LED that flashes red when close to 30m and goes full red when over.
    Small first stage sender with a single function of sending a signal when gas reaches 50 bar and a
    second light goes red.

If way more than that can be in fitted into a watch how small can a clip-on to a mask get?
    Build that small and cheap and it would sell loads to a market that doesn't go over 30m and surfaces
    on 50 bar, which would be about 60%+ of the worlds divers.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Just to be clear, I'm referring to the old matrix signs that can display two digits, generally on a pole in the central reservation.

Over many decades of driving, I've seen these with a 50 for no reason, maybe 95% of the time. Why they're left on when the incident is long cleared I've no idea. This only acts to undermine the credibility of the information; crying wolf.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.
  8. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

In the case of the Nerd I believe you are wrong. CCR divers opt for that redundancy against the potential of losing a single set of electronics and I have yet to meet a single Nerd owner unhappy with their backup. Rather than the Nerd I went for an independent OSTC cR performing the same role.

9. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Sorry Wibble, that won't do. How do you know when to slow down for the 5% that are reasonable? We divers take precautions to deal with the 1% problem - we waste a third of our gas every dive in case our buddy or we have a problem. Drivers kill many people each year, a fact that seems to be accepted by the general populace. Lose a minute or two by complying with the speed limit - what are you going to do in that time anyway. :whistling:

Just in case you think I'm a slow coach , I do go reasonably quickly when conditions allow, but never more than 150mph so far.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Of course I could continue to dig here...

My point is that warnings that cry wolf all the time become normalised as inaccurate, so ignored.

My Suunto d9TX beeps because it thinks that deep stops are important. Can't turn them off. It also beeps because it's mis-calculated the MOD of gas (they subtract 2% just for a laugh), so you have to use 1.6 to stop the thing from moaning.

If something's warning you of a problem, it needs to be a 'proper' warning, not some bloody elfinsafety CYA bolx.

11. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Read my post again. The Nerd might be billy-whiz in the land of CCR, but it's a niche and fickle market
    leading to big buck sales to be viable, hence the £2k price tag.

My POV is focused on the typical holiday diver who if even 25% of the certs awarded by PADI alone in the past
    ten years are still diving, would leave a market of around 2.5 million divers. Throw in all the other agencies
    combined and that figure could double to 5 miillion !!!!!!!!.

Do the maths. A 50% markup on an extremely simple LED warning unit to this market costing say no more than
    a decent backup torch or a D-Timer (say £50-£70) gains a minimum return of £30-£35 per unit easy, but quantity
    equals lower manufacturing so that return could be greater. .

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Trouble is, unless it's *really* cheap, the typical £150ish Suunto's got that market sewn up, with the £250 price band for colour screens.

Unless you could buy a simple 'alarm' flashy light buzzy thing for, say £50, you'd just push to a wrist computer. To retail at £50, you need to make it for £10.

Where these things could make a market is in the holiday dive centres, attaching them to the SPG? Although there's the off-gassing problem to contend with.