1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WOW! A smart diving mask?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Davon Hui, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Davon Hui

Davon Hui New Member

Hi all! We are a group of university students from from Hong Kong.

As part of our research project, we are working on a smart diving mask that have a transparent display. Therefore, we are conducting this survey to gain a better insight of the scuba divers' issues. This questionnaire would take less than 5 minutes to complete. It will be great if you can help us out and fill that in.

We sincerely thank you for your participation.

https://goo.gl/forms/CBKsEqEInaQqhsYC3

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Two issues.

Masks are very personal pieces of kit with many varieties. The main requirement is fit as there's no such thing as an average face, hence you'll see a wide variety of masks on a dive boat.

Second thing is information. It's easily seen on a wrist computer or pressure gauge. With the exception of the rebreather community -- who are well served by Shearwater's NERD -- most divers don't need a continuous display of data because they need to be aware of what's going on around them, in the same way as someone driving their car off a cliff because their SatNav told them to.

As @jb2cool said, the datamask failed. Probably for those reasons -- plus expense, reliability, utility...

Research rebreather HUD units which use flashing lights (JJ, Inspiration) or single lights (Sentinel)

4. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

5. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well TBH their is a market for a display of sorts, but less of a mask and more an addition to
    an existing.

KISS principle of some form of micro-clipon to an existing mask that displays just two lights.
    Wireless from the 1st stage. One for depth and one for air. Set the cylinder sensor to whatever
    depth and gas you want. Doesn't even need to be to involved. Have it fixed as 30m/50bar or
    simple screwdriver switch to say 34m/70 bar etc.

Go diving 2 green lights :) Hit max set depth light goes red, hit low gas set, 2nd light goes red.

Ok the purists say should monitor gas etc. but been saying that for decades and still divers
    come up short or go below MOD for Nx.

Simple easy to make and cheap it will sell loads, well until some Chinese knockoff does a copy
    and wipes out the sales.

6. nickb

nickb Active Member

Transparent diving masks?

They'll never catch on.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Oh, don't forget the old gits either: they can't read anything up close!

8. John F

John F Member

That’s the problem I would have. Being an old fart, I have to put lenses into my mask to be able to read my computer on my wrist. No way I. Oils see something that close.

9. SimonL

SimonL New Member

How about an adaptation of the deaf telephone? :hilarious:

Wibble likes this.
  10. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah that would work :)

Two of the biggest and related contributors to diving incidents is going too deep and running
    out of gas, so a simplistic reminder system that might prevent both by a visual warning makes
    sense.

11. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

You mean your backup computer beeping away happily when you’ve left it on air for a long dive, or on nitrox 36 for a deep dive isn’t annoying enough??

12. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

What backup computer?

The vast majority of the worlds divers which equate to the greatest number of incidents (many unrecorded
    due to commercial concerns) dive with hire rigs and often not even a main computer, let alone a backup.

Then if no ordinary computer chances of a air integrated, even less so.

Sure we already have solutions, a quick look at an analogue depth gauge and SPG will suffice and they
    already have those, so how come so many go below planned depth and come up short on gas?

Better education? Well that's failed. Better toys? Well the all singing dancing ones like the Datamask and
    the talking Mares Computer failed, but what's never been tried AFAIK is very low-tech and basic.

Simple cheap solutions have often had greater success then way more expensive and sexy versions.
    Pity to dismiss the basics without even considering that it might just possibly work.

phantomlurker likes this.
  13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Take away the air integration and think of a small device - computer if you like - with simple lights and a buzzer.

Green = good
    Flashing green = nearing limits
    Amber = ascend
    Flashing amber + buzzer = ascend faster
    Red = stop

I like the deco idea of the Sentinel: white light (I think it was) = stop at the ceiling until the light goes out. Obviously never tried it.

Is there a market for novices?

Or get a captive Orca to tell you to ascend. Hello...

14. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nah too involved and buzzers can be cancelled.

IMO it needs to be STOP and change what you are doing now.
    That means a simple low intensity green for ok and a brighter red for OMG act now !!!

15. Davon Hui

Davon Hui New Member

What do you think is the reason it sells bad? Is it too expensive?

Really thanks for your input! It seems a good idea to implement simple LED lights in the mask.

It seems we need to adjust the projection distance well too

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Look at your markets; recreational divers spend *some* money, but it's one of many things for their new hobby which they might do a dozen dives a year. Technical divers spend *lots* of money on their hobby, doing 100+ dives a year, but don't need this kind of device and they're a small part of the market/community. You're competing against standard wrist/SPG mounted computers which are cheap, work very well and are understood by the "thought leaders" (a.k.a. DiveMasters) who'll guide the buying process.

The DataMask didn't sell because it was flawed and expensive. The trend these days is for large glass masks to maximise the viewing angles which makes mounting a display difficult. The DataMask lost a large chunk of the RH side for the electronics.

BTW the place to mount this kind of thing, if outside of the mask, is on the breathing regulator. These also come in all shapes and sizes.

Finally, if you're going to use lights, remember that holiday divers (who do circa 10 dives/year) tend to dive in warm and bright locations; the sun is pretty bright.

17. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Actually, an even simpler red amber green light system would be useful, particularly with new divers - an amber slow down and red stop rapid ascent light.

One of the most common problems with new divers is they finish a dive, otherwise safely, and just think “up”.

Also, anyone who had done rescue training, lifting another diver, will know how hard it is to watch your wrist mounted computer while dumping from someone else’s inflator hose. Not a problem in every day diving but common enough in training lakes.

The light would be a useful prompt for everyone to look at their computer, but if set with an internal ascent rate, it wouldn’t even need to be integrated with one...

18. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I think making it integrated with the mask is a mistake. the general advice if anyone asks "What mask should I get" is "the one that fits your face."

I know someone who has a NERD and he says it's fantastic. It mounts on the mouthpiece and is unobtrusive to look past, but look into it and it's like having a 15" computer screen hanging in the water in front of you. That might be good as a standalone dive computer product.

19. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Is he on OC or CC?

20. Depthdevil

Depthdevil New Member

The Sentinel light system is very good. It reminds me of a trial for some aga masks a while back. We had a green and blue light embedded in the nose bridge of an aga. The test was to assemble nuts and bolts, all different sizes. That kept you occupied, until you eventually lost focus on the lights. When you hadn’t responded to the lights, the trial was stopped. In sport diving, I think most people would eventually forget about the lights, due to all manner of reasons. So my guess, is that even a simple “solution”, would fail eventually. I’ll quite happily admit that sometimes I forget what my po2 was, or when I last looked at it. Buzzers, now that’s the way forward with alarms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk