1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried about diving

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by RosieB, Aug 6, 2017.

1. RosieB

RosieB New Member

Hey everyone,

So I have signed up to do my open water and I have done the indoor pool sessions and paid half the money for the course. I did the indoor sessions last October/November, and due to a combination of factors I still haven't done the open water dives. I absolutely love being underwater in the pool and I have even managed to conquer my fear of taking my mask off underwater but something about the thought of diving in the sea and not being enclosed makes me feel nervous. Also, I have IBS so I am worried about the possibility of starting to need the toilet while I am underwater. The divemaster isn't the kind of guy I would feel comfortable talking to about this so I dont know what to do.
    Does anyone have any advice?
    Many thanks

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hi Rosie; welcome to the forum.

It's often said that you need to pick the right instructors. One who's demeanour suits your requirements. Main thing is to take it easy; we don't need dramas underwater.

Where are you thinking of doing the sea dive? There's a vast difference between different locations in the UK.

3. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You don't say where you are based, but assuming the UK we have a fair few inland sites which also have good and
    easily accessible facilities. Might be an idea in the circumstances to see if you can do the open water element at
    one of these first and then maybe look at the sea once the stress of the course is done.

The only trouble is the current dive outfit may not use these sites and have costed the course for the sea.
    I'd have a word with the Instructor (bit confused about the Divemaster comment , he's not supposed to teach)
    and explain clearly your concerns.

Worse case you might even be able to switch this to a referral which means you can go to another dive outfit who
    does use inland sites.

4. Cornish Joss

Cornish Joss New Member

Hey Rosie.

Would definitely recommend speaking to your instructor. I used to teach sailing and it made life for both parties much easier knowing if there was worries cropping up!

As for feeling nervous.. just relax when learning and enjoy it :) sure you'll be fine

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

RosieB likes this.
  5. RosieB

RosieB New Member

The east coast of scotland, in a very large firth estuary

6. RosieB

RosieB New Member

Sorry, please forgive my ignorance, I just thought a divemaster was an instructor. Thanks for the suggstion, I'll maybe see if there is anywhere inland I can do it.

7. RosieB

RosieB New Member

Thanks for your reply, I'll try and pluck up the courage to talk to him :)

8. pitdiver

pitdiver Active Member

Rosie, did you sort your concerns with your instructor. The reason I ask is that when I was doing the training I would suffer from sleepless nights. so worrying is not just you