1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wish me luck!

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by hillie, Jun 13, 2010.

1. hillie

hillie New Member

Hi all
    Following a horrible buoyancy episode at the end of my OW course (in Sharm last October), I have built up the courage to do a scuba review and sea dive (to be followed by OWA next month) in our cooler waters. So, on Tuesday evening, I'm taking my new kit and going to the pool and am going to try and face my demons.
    I've been having nightmares about expansion injuries and uncontrolled ascents since we got back, so I need to do this so I can get some sleep, as well as getting back in the water!
    It's making me feel really sick with nerves, even though Kate - from divejersey who's taking me in (with my other half - also doing the review) - has been really patient with me and I'm confident about her ability (shame about mine!)
    Wish me luck - I can't wait to get it over so that I can go back to enjoying the idea of diving.

2. Bobco

Bobco Active Member

Good luck and keep your nerve, so much of diving is about self control, keep yours and all will be well

Bob

3. Flower36

Flower36 Member

Good for you Hillie, I had a scare myself when I got cold at 30 metres and my breathing went up the wall... I got straight back in on the advice of my instructor, but every now and again when I'm going up the motorway to Cappers it comes back to me, so your not on your own.
    Just take your time, try and relax, the more you do the more confident you will become.
    Let us know how you get on.
    All the best.

4. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

Good Luck Hillie, just take it nice and slowly. Start with nice easy dives dives, and do lots to build up your experience. Dont rush to go deep if your interested in sea life most is in less than 10m and last week I was playing with seals on the safety stop.

5. Craig20two

Craig20two Member

Good luck Hillie. I'll cross my fingers for you! But I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Enjoy yourself! Thumbs Up

6. Snuffy

Snuffy New Member

Good luck, I hope it goes well.

S.

7. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

Good luck and remember to relax

8. aquanaut

aquanaut Well-Known Member

You'll be fine. Relax, stay calm. Plenty of air, plenty of time.

9. DaveS

DaveS Play nice. Enjoy UKD

Good luck. Just remember that most of us here have been there and it can take a few incident free dives to get over scares like that.

I had one on the first dive after completing my OW. Luckily I was doing an extra dive with my instructor on the same day as completing OW4. I got to the Wessex at the back of Capernwray and it suddenly felt like someone had smacked me around the head with a steel bar. My heart started racing and my breathing increased dramatically. My instructor was superb and kept me close, face to face, and watched every move. Just having that calming face 6 inches away was enough to help me calm down after a couple of minutes and complete the dive safely. I think it was probably a combination of cold, over-exertion and low visibilty since it was October, I was in a semi dry suit and it was late in the day after everyone else had stirred up the silt near the Wessex.
    Does it ever come back to haunt me? Sure it does; but I've leart to control my feelings of panic and deal with them in a more sensible manner than wanting to shoot to the surface.

10. hillie

hillie New Member

Thanks for the support and advice, guys, I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.
    I need to revisit my scuba tune-up book in my lunch hour tomorrow (left it at work ... grrr ...) and get my kit sorted out (I'm sort of subconsciously avoiding it all, I think ...) :eek:hmy:

11. hillie

hillie New Member

Well, I did it! We spent 2 hours in the pool and practised skills and then had some time to pootle around. Kate, our instructor, was fab and let me just get on with doing the fin pivot and 'buddah sit' in mid water and I did it! I didn't realise what a rush we must have done everything at when we did OW, but then that might just be the way I'm looking back at it. I have realised (even though I know it's different in such shallow water) that I take massive breaths trying to keep myself neutrally buoyant and it just makes me go up and down a lot. When I relaxed, I was able to keep my position much more easily, oh, for at least 15 seconds! She did say that she thought I was going to be a nightmare after all my flapping about it, but that I wasn't at all and did really well. I'm looking forward to doing our sea dive now (we took the additional sea dive with the scuba review, just for a little treat!) and getting some sleep!
    Night all :)