1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter socks for wearing under a drysuit

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Wibble, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I've drysuit socks fitted to my drysuit which are ~6mm neoprene and use with rockboots.

Underneath I've been wearing a pair of thick walking socks. Feet got cold the other day.

Any recommendations for a pair of socks to use? I have a pair of the Fourth Element (Arctic?) socks, but not keen on these as they're a bit loose and ruck up a bit when walking.

Recommendations for winter socks?

2. speed098

speed098 Member

There are so called "Hot socks" not sure how good they are as never used myself but relatives swear by them.

I have always preferred layering so have you tried a thin sock either silk, or a ski sock designed for race boots and then a thicker sock over them ?
    I have done this when out walking in deep snow when well below freezing and my toes have stayed warm.
    The idea is the thin sock traps a very thin layer of air just as a wetsuit traps water and so your body can heat this air up with little loss and the thicker layer provides insulation which on it's own would still allow air to move freely around the foot.
    One of my friends I walk with does the same but uses SealSkin socks as they are waterproof as the first layer most times and as a mid layer between the other two when really cold and swears by this system. So maybe a bit of playing around layering will give you the best result.

SealSkin do have sales/end of line promo's every so often on their website, I bought some motorbike gloves for skiing and they are more than warm enough plus waterproof at a fraction of the price of my main ski gloves.

3. splinter

splinter Active Member

I'm using a pair of thick walking socks and the O3 PBB socks at the moment.

In the past I've used merino socks with heat holder socks on top which are pretty good for about 7 or 8 quid a pair.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

6mm neo and socks ?! Golf is what you need :cigar:

5. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

+1 for Hotsocks. Dirt cheap in JD Sports (if you can swallow your pride at supporting the organisation).

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Have been using two pairs of socks in the cold weather. No problems now. Nice simple solution!

7. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

My feet are always cold, but always a little sweaty at the start of a dive, so I’m thinking about swapping to dry socks before kitting up. Might help.

8. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Kwark socks are so much better than my Fourth Element ones. Those plus a thinner pair underneath seem to work fine

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

9. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Gelert Hot Socks from Sports Direct. Super-fluffy, very warm and £5 per pair.

furryman likes this.
  10. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I always liked simple rugby socks.

11. Tom46

Tom46 New Member

Fourth Element Arctic socks, that fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk