1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wibble's CCR odyssey

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Wibble, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Had a wonderful dive today on a submarine. Beginning to feel comfortable with the rebreather and enjoy the dive and what’s happening outside, not just focusing on the box.

Fish seem to be far less bothered with CCR than when blowing bubbles.

I’ve a real soft spot for blennys and this wreck is covered with them. One though had a penchant for nibbling on our dry gloves if you invade it’s space.

Reviewing the dive log, the ascent seems reasonable. Seems that the time spent on the platform has paid some dividends.

2. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

An interesting sub?! Which one was that ? I recently revisited a memorable (for me) sub dive (HMS Sidon was my BSAC Sports Diver 35m progression dive, and the first time I saw a SAR helicopter in anger!). I found it was as dull as I remembered (long tube with a lump on top) and went gathering a bag of scallops as compensation. The ascent was useful practice for holding stops. I even followed my recent advice and let go of the reel and used it as a reference point, rather than a buoyancy prop :)

Just remember when ascents go wrong on CCR (as I've seen they can - never tried it myself :) ) there are more things to put right so the wrong is harder to correct. On CCR, as the diving is so simple, it is usually complacency that creates the fateful incident.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I find submarines both sad and interesting. Their only purpose is death and destruction. They only appear as a dive site as the tables were turned and they were the prey.

The are the pinnacle of contemporary technology at that moment.

Now getting the hours and ascents in. Definitely not complacent yet — still very new.