1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why don´t the forum allow editing after 5 min?

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by korsakof, Mar 4, 2019.

1. korsakof

korsakof Member

Something how to solve this issue.. It is annoying. :(

Happy Monday!.:)

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

It's not an issue, it's a design decision to keep threads readable. If this wasn't the case any people could edit their replied indefinitely then you could edit your post and replies would then possibly not make sense. If there is something you want changes one of the mod team can do it for you, report your post and mention what you want changed.

korsakof and Wibble like this.
  3. korsakof

korsakof Member

It´s because sometimes i need to use the diccionary to be understood and i change the message. I´m not english native speaker and it blocks or i think later how to write better to be understood and also it´s block or even a link broken. But i can understand.

4. John F

John F Active Member

I have no problem understanding you.

korsakof likes this.
  5. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Korsakof, your English-language skills are much better than virtually all UK peoples' Spanish (or any other foreign language!). We are notorious for communicating with foreigners in English, if they don't understand, in ENGLISH. What is worse, schools are reducing their foreign language classes!
    Fortunately, we are usually very forgiving when others make mistakes in English.

korsakof likes this.
  6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It should be 10 minutes. Is that not the case?

As @jb2cool says, just let us know and one of the mod team will change it.

korsakof likes this.
  7. korsakof

korsakof Member

Thank you!:)

Thank you!. Me english is quite rusty. Long time not using continuously.

It´s says 5min if i remember correctly. I don´t want bore people for a post in a forum but it´s ok. I had an idea, i will write firstly in notepad and then copy.xD

Thank you guys! :)

8. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I see it as an issue and I reported it as an issue some while back.

It wasn't the case when I joined and I see it as an issue. Whilst it is possible to email admins to make changes it is annoying and does not scale.

I had previously used this forum for selling stuff and edited the initial post as things sold. That is no longer possible.

On TDF I had posted a length trip report 'Diving in Ireland' which included a lot of pictures. Some months later photobucket changed their rules and the images no longer appeared.
    I left photobcket and rehosted the images and was able to edit the posts. It was an annoying process which required a fair few iterrations to get the images in the correct location.
    If I had been required to email the changes and I would not have bothered and the report would not look much good.

9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

korsakof likes this.
  10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

OK... It was changed to 10 mins last year. I know it works with 10 mins as I've edited up to that time. I don't think I'm "special" in any way with the Wibble account.

I'll try editing this in a few mins...

4 mins...

5 mins...

6 mins...

#10 Wibble, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  11. korsakof

korsakof Member

Probably what I saw it was the time left to lock the post. Cheers!

12. Graysyid

Graysyid Active Member

And if they don't understand, talk slower and shout louder

korsakof likes this.