1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whites/Aqualung/Apeks Fusion Drysuits.

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by speed098, Nov 16, 2017.

1. speed098

speed098 Member

Anyone use these drysuits, and what are your thoughts/opinions on them after using them?

Looking at buying my first Drysuit, I have tried the Scubapro Everdry 4mm and Large was too tight and XL was too long in arms and legs. I have also looked at the ROHO range and their Commercial is way too stiff a material and seems quite restrictive, the X-Flex are starting to get too pricey. Budget is for now about £700 max, but they do have a light version under £700.

Initially I was looking at secondhand suit or a Typhoon new but as I am not an off the peg fit secondhand may be quite difficult or at least work out just as expensive as buying new.

I admit I am unfit at present to my shame, but I have started back diving and skiing plus a few other activity's and so I expect to loose a few stone over the next year or so, which could also mean a new suit, the Fusion range look to be one of the few that if I do loose the weight will still fit, so no need to change till it starts getting to the end of it's life.

I would like the suit to be light enough to take abroad, I really want a good range of movement, and still open to other options but really would like some feedback from anyone using the Fusion range especially the "One" and the "Sport" models as the "Bullet" is out of my price range for now with xmas just round the corner.
    I like the front "U" shape zip on the Sport and Bullet models rather than back zip but it is not a deal breaker, is it worth holding out and hope for a Bullet in the sales or just go for the Sport or the One.

I run pretty hot anyway other than feet and hands and cold on my legs is not an issue as it helps regulate my temp, so again this is something drawing me to the Fusion range as they seem to fit more snuggly than most drysuits.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

If you lose a couple of stone, this may (or may not) come with a dramatic change in shape and so you may find that your suit does not fit you.

If I was you, I would hold off buying new (plenty of decent second hand suits available - calling @Tel) and then change in 12 months.

Personally I have no experience of the suits you mention and have not heard any reports (good or bad) about them.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Within reason, loosing weight isn't an issue with a drysuit. Gaining weight definitely is a big issue as drysuits don't stretch. You also need to allow for some space for thicker underclothes in the cold.

Only Whites do that 'U' shaped zip (AFAIAA). The most common zips are the back entry and the across-the-front entry. I've heard some people don't like the 'U' zip, although some others do. You don't see many of those suits around though. IMHO front-entry is much better.

It's worth looking at a bespoke made-to-measure suit. It's important to go to them to be measured as it's their liability to ensure it fits once made. There's two types of made-to-measure: one where they can shorten/lengthen the limbs, the other where the entire suit's custom made for you.

Buying a suit new, there's several manufacturers but O2, Otter and Seaskin spring to mind. Steer clear of brands as they're subject to brand tax and can have average quality. Definitely steer clear of non-UK based brands - at least one horror story of a Hollis suit which took months to get a zip replaced after sending abroad and still leaked.

Second-hand is a good option but it's caveat emptor. The second-hand value of a drysuit isn't great so there can be some good savings to be made. But... it must fit. It must not leak. The market is small, so you can struggle to find them second-hand. Keep clear of ones that "just need a little repair" unless it's an obvious repair and not on a clapped-out suit.

4. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Scubapro Everdry is not a bad suit, but it;s off the peg, so any adjustments will cost, pushing the price up
    and sometimes effecting the way the suit works.

Robin Hood er. No - just don't. RoHo suits seem to struggle with the concept of this century. Personal
    opinion sure, but they need to employ someone who knows about tailoring and add a few more cuts rather
    than make it out of large slabs of material. That's how suits "used" to be made :)

Typhoon - Excellent neoprene entry level, cheap and gets toes in the water, higher end membrane ok, but
    the market gets way bigger past £600.

Fusion/Bullet range, well yes good, but at that price they should be :p

From that lot it's clear that you've been to RoHo.

IMO
    First off if you want light then a neoprene is usually not the best idea unless it's compressed thinner types.
    That means either cheapo tech wannabees which are not that resilient or OMG break the bank state of the
    art which for most divers are OTT+.

Which tends to lean towards membrane :)
    These are rugged, light and will do hot and cold climes by adding more or less layers.
    Off the peg sounds like it's an issue, so MTM is the way to go.

So we want a membrane that's MTM, doesn't totally break the bank and is local enough to RoHo to go back
    and get measured etc. and tweak If the body shape changes.

That's an easy one, just go about 25 miles north to Bradford and go see John Junior at Otter :)

https://www.drysuits.co.uk/?gclid=C...fciN4f5oCDqIy-uLqHs6xLlOU0dczKGkaApLiEALw_wcB

5. speed098

speed098 Member

Hi

Thanks for the info so far yes had a quick word with Otter as they are just up the motorway other side of them thar hills, reading other threads some seem to recommend Seaskin as well but not ND. Looked at 0'Three and yes they look great and not really seen any bad comments.

MTM is my only other option unless if I go and try on some Typhoon suits and strike lucky. Once I loose the belly, off the peg may not be as big an issue with membrane.

Hopefully trying on a Fusion within the next week so will have a better opinion after that about them as to if they will be right for me.

I have no issue with secondhand other than spending anything from £80 or over £300 to then find it needs a good couple of hundred to get it fixed or worse find it just does not fit and have to resell.

I have just started back after 25 years away so in the end I will end up with two drysuits ( any more than that I will strongly deny the presence of for self preservation lol ) but at present it is balancing qualifications with buying gear and trying to get back in the water ASAP and as often as possible.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I was very happy with ND, so's another poster on here. They don't do custom built suits though (AFAIK)

7. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Reading your post and subsequent comments I would look towards an otter. Get a suit you can confidentially use now, I.e a good fit. Ask otter about slimming the suit down when you lose weight. I'd be surprised if they wouldn't alter it. I have an O3 and have had a few changes made over the last 4 years. I expect O3 would be a bit too heavy for travel. Wave some pound notes or whatever your local currency is up there under their nose and go for a deal. No one seems disappointed with the product.

8. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I would not degrade Otter by using it in the same sentence as Seaskin or ND :p
    (Apart from just then of course :) )
    O3 very good for neo, but as Vanny has said, weighs a ton and not a travel suit, worse when wet.

As for s/hand, yes some real bargains to be had, but only if you are prepared to take a gamble.
    In this respect the best option is to go for a cheaper s/hand off the peg suit.

If it was cheap in the shop newer versions will be very cheap and still be good condition.
    If it's off the peg then easier to take a punt on a known size.

Buying someones idea of an MTM rarely works. I buy a lot of suits and about 1 in 5 are totally
    different to the size advertised. I don't care because it just goes in stock, but if it's just this one
    suit you are buying ...........

S/hand is a 50/50 gamble, so be prepared to get burnt or don't play :)

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

BTW what's the considered opinion of the 'U' shaped Whites zip?

10. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

If it was a good idea, everyone would be copying it ;)

Wibble likes this.
  11. speed098

speed098 Member

Maybe but equally Dyson had a good idea and non of the big brands wanted to know.
    Now they are all copying him.

I have while looking seen a couple of comments re the zip failing once on the shoulder and for another person a few times at the bottom under the inflate. So maybe not an issue but maybe needs some more investigation.

The idea of this type of entry does seem a lot better than a back zip and also possibly a bit better than a front diagonal zip. To some degree these suits remind me of the scene from the film "A knights tale" where he walks out in the new suit of armour the other knights laugh till he just so casually mounts the horse. Just maybe this is the next evolution in drysuits. But then it may be a dead donkey. Will be trying one on next week and hopefully soon after a pool session but I do not really have anything to compare it with other than 6.5mm steamer. So feedback/views by way more knowledgeable divers would help.

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The 'U' zip's been around for some time and it's pretty rare in the wild.

The diagonal zips work well. Easy to don and doff the suit and do up the zip unaided as the closed zipper is at the bottom and you have full strength to close it. I would think -- but never tried -- that the fusion zip would be fiddly to close that last centimetre and double check that it's closed. i.e. may need a buddy.

Then again, some people need some help with opening their diagonal suits when the zip's longer and goes behind the shoulder. Mine's fine but some have issues.

There is a fourth zip type which I've seen once. This is kind of like the back zip but on the front where it's rolled up and clipped back.

13. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Some front zip suits actually zip from the bottom to the top, my black suit does this. I like it as you can visually see that the zip is fully closed as it's right on your shoulder so you just have to glance over to it.

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Interesting. Isn't it a bit awkward to close as you're pulling it backwards over your shoulder?

15. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

You get used to it. The DUI Quick-Zip closes that way where as the readitional zip goes the other way, they do cut the suit marginally differently though to accommodate it. The zip finishes on the shoulder rather than over the back of it.