1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Twinset course?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Nick Ward, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

So - being in the process of assembling my first twinset, I figured it would be useful to get someone to show me how to use it properly...

What's the latest thinking on courses? Has the BSAC course improved now that some instructors are able to teach primary donate, or is it still the view that one of the intro to tech type course such as the TDI ones still a better option?

I've pretty much ruled out fundies for now - cost/time are both prohibitive for a while...

tia

Nick

2. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Bsac hasn't rolled out primary donate yet, the course (anywhere) will only be as good as the instructor. If your in a bsac club and think the guys who will teach you are on the ball, for me that's diving a similar config to what you've chosen then it's a easy bit of learning, probably more like mentoring. If not then a day or so with a decent instructor will sort you out pronto. The bsac course waffles on about loads of different types of config, if you've already chosen kit you just want to know how to use that kit properly.

3. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I'd grab a TDI or GUE instructor for a day of 'coaching'.

Edit: in terms of actual instructors, I've found Mark Powell and @timmyg from TDI to both be very good.

As for GUE, I've used JohnKendall and Gareth Burrows, but heard good things about Neil Powell, Richard Walker and Marcus Rose.

4. Nick Ward

Nick Ward Active Member

it kinda semi-has.. theres a small number of BSAC instructors who can teach it on the TSC....

5. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Re BSAC twinset & PD. This is what I posted on this thread on another forum.

When the materials are released officially the who, what, whys and how's will also be released. For the time being only those who have piloted the course new course or who have been involved in the development have the PD status. Unfortunately I am unable to give you a date.

I appreciate that there are probably lots of people that could teach it now, but like any agency, it would be irresponsible to release anything before it is finalised.

Sent from my iPad using Timmytalk

6. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

To the OP, I posted my response on the other forum, but to add, I can teach the TDI & BSAC versions of the very similar course. Happy to chat off line no obligation about the pros & cons of each.

Sent from my iPad using Timmytalk

7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

A day of coaching with someone like @timmyg (BSAC or TDI), @Herrhair (GUE) or Mark Powell (TDI) would be a good place to start. They can talk you through the basics of what a manifold is, now it works and the processed needed for safe diving as well as going through some drills.

Nick Ward likes this.
  8. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Don't forget, in the very simplest case, a twinset is a very effective 24l tank! So long as you make sure the manifold is open, analyse your gas and monitor gas contents you will rarely go wrong!

Nick Ward likes this.
  9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

As above plus if you've had some coaching then make sure you dive with people who care about the protocols and who will practice them. With a bit of luck you'll probably go through your entire diving career without having to do a shutdown outside of a course. But... being prepared and practised for when it happens means a nice story or mild inconvenience, as opposed to a serious life-threatening incident.

People who care quite like to do practice shutdowns to keep the muscle memory fresh.

JPasquette likes this.
  10. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

Manifold? What’s that??? ;)

11. Samantha CoolBeans

Samantha CoolBeans New Member

You are from Leicestershire so i assume you will be doing training at Stoney Cove?

Last year i was in your position after buying a twinset and needed training... I went with Adam Wood at Divemaster Scuba and did the SSI Extended Range Foundations course over 3 days.

we spent many hours in the water perfecting my trim, weighting, body positioning... all very technical stuff. We covered multiple techniques for shutdowns and drills, everything explained in detail afterwards with a 360 degree video debrief.

I dont suppose theres much difference in courses... i do believe there is a big difference in the person training you.

I respect and trust Adam's training so it was a no brainer to go with him. You should find someone you get the same feeling from. This person will probably then go on to further train you so building a relationship is important.

Mark Powell, John Kendall... both respected instructors. John Kendall is doing a GUE Fundies course in March at Divemaster Scuba but if i remember rightly, when i enquired about going down the fundies route i was told that twinset specific tasks were not covered.

12. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

Setting up a twinset/BP/OPH/wing and shutdowns are covered in GUE Fundamentals.