1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to position low pressure hose valve?

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by BorisUK, Jul 3, 2017.

1. BorisUK

BorisUK New Member

I do both scuba diving and white water kayaking. I am going to have a dry suit custom made and would like to have one suit for both kayaking and diving, if at all possible.

Problem is with the position of the low pressure hose valve, which should be on the chest, but that is where buoyancy aid is during kayaking. Can I have the low pressure hose valve somewhere else, e.g. shoulder or arm?

Many thanks
    Boris

2. nickb

nickb Active Member

No reason you can't have two valves or have one positioned wherever you like as long as it's easily reachable for both pursuits. But, would a diving drysuit be suitable for kayaking and vice-versa?

3. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

the buoyancy aid should sit over the top of the inflation vlve without too much of a problem, they are not huge bulky things

4. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

When the weather is miserable, I wear a buoyancy aid over my drysuit when driving the rescue boat for the local sailing club and never had a problem.

5. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Bouyancy aid can be placed over the inflator without any issue - it is sufficiently low profile to not both you.

Personally I'd be more concerned over the compromises you will have to make to design a suit that will do both activities.

6. BorisUK

BorisUK New Member

Thanks guys for all the replies.

Regarding the design - I have questioned the design and material with the supplier, and got the following reply:

This is not a problem. The fabric we use in all of our most popular kayaking suits is a diving grade fabric and we produce approximately 20% of our diving suits from that fabric.​

But I am still not sure whether this is a good idea.

7. clique

clique Active Member

Hiya Boris,

I'd talk to Dennis at Predator in New Milton; he makes pretty good drysuits for diving (he made mine!) and also surfs / kayaks. I've seen one of his 'surface' suits a few years back and it looked good, but I was too new a diver to appreciate the differences.

Hope this helps,

Mike

8. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

You'd need to think about the cut of the suit. Can you ask to see both a diving suit and kayaking suit from the same supplier and look at the difference. I would have thought that a kayaking suit would need to allow a lot of flexibility in the upper body/arms/shoulders that could be too loose and hold too much air that would be difficult to dump from a diving perspective.

9. BorisUK

BorisUK New Member

I emailed Predator (using the address from their website) but have had no reply. I also tried to call them a few times, but only get to voice mail. Do you know if they are still in business and what is the best way to contact them?

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Dennis is sometimes quite hard to contact! @jps has recently bought a suit from him - delivered on time.

Early in the morning is often said to be a good time to get him.

BorisUK likes this.