1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to buy reef safe SPF cream on the UK high street?

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Futurekubik, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Futurekubik

Futurekubik New Member

I am going abroad in a few days to do some reef diving and I need to get hold of some reef-safe sun cream before I go as it’s not guaranteed I’ll be able to get any at the place I’m going and it’s too late for me to order online and get it delivered on time.

Any tips about the best high street shops in the UK I could nip into?

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hi there.

Wasn’t aware of this as a problem. Is it a big issue?

3. Futurekubik

Futurekubik New Member

My instructor is coming on the trip with the club and we’ll be on a live aboard, he’s added info on his site about reef-safe lotions but they’re all to buy from online afaics, so it’s obly a ‘problem’ insofar as the news to be able to find somewhere in your average UK town centre where it could be picked up the same day. Thought any info on where to go might be useful to other divers who find themselves in this position too.

4. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

The problem is that the typical creams contain preservatives (parabens and so on) that are harmful to the reef microorganisms (and the various oils etc don't help): you only have to look at some of teh popular carribean snorkelling spots to see the damage caused as the nasty green algae cover up anything pretty.
    I've only ever found the reef-safe stuff online, or out in Mexico.

(Mind you, some of you lot would probably support spraying antimicrobials on the wrecks, so that the smelly fish wouldn't get in the way of those rusty portholes and engine blocks :whistling:)

Wibble likes this.
  5. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

6. Suffolkmatireland

Suffolkmatireland New Member