1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When does recreational diving become technical diving

Discussion in 'Technical Diving' started by Iain Denham, Jun 2, 2016.

1. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

This! :D x

2. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I just wondered if you were aware of the considerations as to what would be a good gas and why? x

3. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

It only starts to make sense when you are doing 2 90 minutes dives to 48m and use 100 bar of dil and O2 and £12 of lime.

becky9 likes this.
  4. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Its interesting, a Fundamentals course taught by James Sanderson (Badger) earlier in the year which I interned on. We had a student who, along with a bsac and scientific and medical background was on the verge of argumentative if not a bit bolshy. We have a lecture on Breathing gas dynamics.... and I shall always remember this particular lecture from James, as it was delivered with passion, knowledge and such panache. The light dawning on what James was saying was fantastic, light bulbs suddenly going off in the students head. Most effective turn around and grasp of understanding I've seen since I started diving. I'll always remember it x

5. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

OK.
    So Sports Divers don't engage in mandatory decompression according to the '88s then?

I'll remember that when/if I go back to a BSAC branch.

6. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Not 100% no, which is why we use Dive Leader as the default.

Sport Diver the grade (not Sport Divers) is at the completion of the course still a 20m non-deco level.
    It needs a combination of progression and repetative diving AFTER the course before getting anywhere
    near deco and many BSAC Sports Divers don't ever get that far, being quite happy doing typical club
    20m-30m non-deco dives .

Which is why it's safer to use Dive Leader as the default for a deco diver and look at each individual if
    they have Sport Diver grade.

You can check that when/if you go back to a BSAC branch :p

7. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Round here, the seabed has mostly been swept to 30 metres, hence Sports Divers in the clubs I have been a member of have to do their progressions, otherwise they would spend most of their time ten metres or so above the seabed and the rusty bits.
    And thirty minutes at thirty metres yields mandatory deco... unless you use nitrox (for which gas mix of course there is no call in UK club diving).

ANYWAY - all I was trying to do was to point out that for various historical reasons the boundary between "tech diving" and "rec diving" in the BSAC world is somewhat differently placed to the boundary in the rest of the world, as exemplified by the CMAS definition. The UK club diving scene does deco, and hence trains divers to do deco by default, therefore by the CMAS definition, all Sports Divers and above are trained to do technical diving.

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Wotever.

You've missed my point by a country mile. I can barely be arsed to restate that a dive below 40 metres requires deco and used what I'd read about Ratio Deco purely as a neat "tool" to support that point.

But if you want to go off on one over me restating info from Garf's article, then fill your boots.

Anyway, on my 40 metre dive on the Mendi today I used Multiplanner -- like I was taught -- and had a great dive albeit with poor vis.

9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

MultiDeco?

10. Doomanic

Staff Member

I use ratio deco on my deathbox. It's a little (2 or 3 minutes) more conservative than my (Becky's) Shearwater set to 30/85.

11. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Sigh x

12. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Is it still working ok? :D x

Doomanic likes this.
  13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Yes. Typo.

14. Doomanic

Staff Member

Yes, now I've cleaned the battery contacts... :whistling:

15. MarkW123

MarkW123 New Member

Perhaps the answer is, you've reached technical diving(equipment wise) when you start building you rig from modular components. The R-Vest harness I have is one only normally sold to commercial divers. I've never seen another one being used. It is truly industrial grade.

16. Doomanic

Staff Member

Nope.

17. snowman

snowman Active Member

I'm not advocating it, but LOTS of people have dived to 50M on air.

Until relatively recently it was the only way to do so realistically.

I think becky9 got the 'tech' definition about right for me.

M

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Nothing like a pot dive (recompression chamber) to 40 or more metres to demonstrate just how narcosis affects one at depth. Ours was to 40 metres and I miserably failed the "test" questions; couldn't do simple arithmetic and definitely couldn't read my own writing afterwards. A huge eye opener.

Am I allowed to say that all dives to 50 metres or below, be it on air or other gas, require decompression stops?

19. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I think that you become a technical diver when you can bicker endlessly about breavers, boxes, deco, narcosis, sidemount, trimix and, even, the definition of a technical diver. Of course, this means that you don't actually have to get wet! :joyful:

20. Doomanic

Staff Member

I think we have a winner! :D