1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When does recreational diving become technical diving

Discussion in 'Technical Diving' started by Iain Denham, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

Is it just as simple as depth related, say over 40m becomes technical?

Or is it the kit that`s used/gas mix used?

or a mixture of the above?

As a DL and i have had the progression dives I can dive to 50m on air (do I want to as a norm? NO!) but I wouldn't class my self as a technical diver (in fact quite the opposite)

I have Nitrox training so if I used a weak mix to say 45m would I then become a technical diver or would it be with the introduction of He (I am not trimix trained)?

I have the use of a twin set if required so if I used that going to say 45m with a weak mix would that make it a technical dive?

EDIT: or am I just rambling on because I am bored?

2. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Probably ;) - the answer in short is whatever you choose it to be. There will be numerous different definitions from numerous people. No one answer will be 'right'.

I would regard it to be using mixed gases, and where a direct ascent isn't possible (deco obligation) and using specific deco gasses - i.e. accelerated deco. I wouldn't bother arguing about it though, just how I view it. x

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

ISTR PADI defines "tech" as any overhead where there's more than 40m (?) or no direct view of the sky (cavern), or where there's a virtual ceiling (deco). It's extremely simplistic, but seems to work for a lot of people.

BSAC seem to extend that to some deco (15 mins?) and a maximum of 35 metres (?)

4. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Since BSAC 88 tables for use with air go down to 51 metres, and since the BSAC open circuit diver grades "qualify" down to 50 metres on air (lol - 3 minutes at 9 and 18 minutes at 6 after a bottom time of 26 minutes - lol), I would suggest that the BSAC boundary is a bit further on that that @Wibble.
    The BSAC tech boundary is not well defined, but looking at what they call their "technical" Skills Development Courses, it is approximately where multiple gas mixes are used for accelerating deco, where helium comes into the equation, where rebreathers are being used.

Twinsets are very much part of normal rec diving.

5. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Easy awnser

Non-deco = Recreational diving

Deco = Technical

That doesnt mean 5 minutes of deco makes you a well-hard tech diver though, just means you are
    akin to a baby still in nappies :)

6. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Say what???

Baltic gives me 78 minutes of air deco for 26 mins at 50m on air...
    Even on fiddy it's 41 minutes.

Zubar likes this.
  7. furryman

furryman hmmmm

Yup!
    Mind you, remember that bottom time is measured to arrival at your first deco stop, so it's not 26 mins on the floor.
    Bend and mend, dear Sherlock, bend and mend.

8. furryman

furryman hmmmm

No such thing as a non-deco dive: it's just that some allow you to do your deco at zero metres with only a neligible probability of ill effects.:whistling:

9. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Totally such a thing as non-deco as in no "in-water" decompression stop required :)

The fact that you'll be off-gassing on the surface is irrelevant, it still means you can go direct to the surface
    at any time during the dive.

10. furryman

furryman hmmmm

Isn't that what I said?

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Is this the spec for BSAC Sports Diver?

BTW the PADI tables go to 42 metres, but it's "not supported" as your max depth for the Deep Speciality is 40 metres. On a single -- and with additional stage cylinders and weights hanging from the boat. Hmm.

One of the reasons I moved to a twinset was to dive at recreational depths + durations, but with all the redundancy that a twinset brings. This is rather important in UK diving conditions where a buddy relationship can be transient. It's also great to practice all the skills required for when a bolt to the surface is not an option.

Tecreational as I call it. Yeah, it's a bit bolx. But it is good practice.

12. furryman

furryman hmmmm

Looking closer at the problem.it's pretty similar to a dive to 51 metres, leaving the bottom at 20 mins,. and using a straight Buhlmann 100/100 profile (1@12, 2@9 and 19@6).
    Check my calcs using V-planner/Multideco, and then shake your head.

What's more frightening is calculating the volume of gas required.

13. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Better described as "No stop" rather than "No deco" perhaps?

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

But even the loonie berzerkers wouldn't class 50 metres as recreational?

Even a bounce dive to 50 metres would require a stop? At the very least it would demand a slow and controlled ascent. That isn't recreational.

I know that BSAC ploughs their own furrows, particularly when it comes to deco tables (BSAC 88's are secret - kind of apt given the stupidity going on in BSAC HQ, I digress), but the PADI tables stop at 42 metres with 3 mins bottom time. Also in Ratio Deco theory, 45 metres is a 1 to 1 ratio where each 3 metres beyond that gets an additional 5 mins of deco, i.e. Ratio Deco would mandate 10 mins of deco for a bounce dive.

15. furryman

furryman hmmmm

@Wibble
    Read my posts.
    Then comment.
    Tech is defined.
    Everything else is rec.

16. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope, it's very clearer defined as non-deco by agencies, many countries official bodies (some that define
    their own depth limits)
    and others like insurance companies. This is to keep any diving within a safety zone
    that no stops (be they mandatory deco or "just in case" safety) are neccessary and the diver can go direct to
    the surface at any time.

17. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

FFS wibs Ratio Deco is not a theory, nor does it mandate ANYTHING because its a tool to be used not a dictat that must be followed. Is there any hope at all that you'll stop spouting bollocks? x

18. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Diving's diving. IMHO "tecnical" is a commercial term from agencies and manufacturers to sell stuff. You choose the dive/diving you wanna do make a personal risk assessment and utilise training and equipment to mitigate them risks.

19. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Padi did go through a phase where it was no stop diving rather than non deco. Maybe it still is? I'm not sure tbh x

20. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Prolly a lot more truth in that than all the rest of the posts here :D x

furryman likes this.