1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What’s the current trend in gradient factors?

Discussion in 'Technical Diving' started by Zubar, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Ta. Edited.

My training/instructor made the point that a lower GF-low will mean that you're still on-gassing in the slower compartments even though the faster compartments would be off-gassing, which has the effect of extending your overall deco time as it's the time for all compartments to get below the bubble generation level.

Your point about diving to whatever suits you is well made. I've done a lot of deco dives over the past few years and found that 50:80's worked for me, with the exception of the tiredness. Changing the last stop depth, extending the final stop, or coming up really slowly seems to have fixed that.

@nickb - what's your final stop depth? Do you add on any extra time? What's your final ascent time from the last stop?

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

100% agree on this

3. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Just watched This. Very good, took a while to get going but explains a lot. Looks like I may be using 50/75 or 80.

splinter, Vanny and Wibble like this.
  4. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Last stop is always 6m. Anything shallower is a ballache on a rebreather.

I sometimes pad if the song I'm listening to is worth waiting for, otherwise WTF? If I wanted to pad it out, I'd choose a lower high GF. I don't go in for all that 'does my deco feel clean' nonsense.

Ascent from 6m is usually a minute or so. I used to do all that 1m/min cobblers but not in the last 10 years or so.

I should add that all this voodoo, that I do, is formulated on always using at least 30% helium in my diluent, preferably more.