1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Is Your Top Wreck?

Discussion in 'Shipwrecks' started by Mosta Dome, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

I have read about the Liberty wreck and would love to dive it. A Bali liveaboard (with an overland visit to Tulamben) is one of our options for August 2012 (the other option is a Fiji Liveaboard). We will be in Bangalore just before and so can make either trip via Kuala Lumpur on Malaysia Airways.

2. Mosta Dome

Mosta Dome Beer is proof that God loves us.

Must see pics!
    Cheers

3. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Mine would be The SS Yongala. Firstly because it is the first and ony propper wreck I have dived so far but also it was so good it spurred me on to move diving from an occaisional holiday sport to a full time obsession:thumbup:

A propper wreck, 99m long intact, still pointing on its headding, no survivors :( the only body found was that of a race horse that was cargo! A current was flowing stern to bow so we swam up onside and drifted back to the shot!

C

4. divewench

divewench Well-Known Member

It takes me long enough to reply to a thread, I couldn't even TRY to attach a photo, sorry Mosta, my connection to UKD isn't good since the new site started :C

5. indyblade

indyblade Member

love to see them divewench can't you email them to one of the mods and let them post them

tony

6. codhead

codhead New Member

Having dived on both the brother wrecks, the thistlegorm, the scapa big 7 and the zenobia, my favorite wreck is the salem express. The tragic loss of life and the amount of personal artifacts left behind make this wreck a very moving dive.

7. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

Whilst I agree that the Salem Express is a very moving dive, personally I didn't really enjoy it. It had been on my "to dive" list for years, but diving it just felt wrong as she was too recent a loss and added to the emotions of the crew I felt uncomfortable diving her.

8. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

The King Cadwallen in the Scilly isles I realy did not want to surface looking at this one so much life could have spent a week on it.
    Its an uneasy feeling on the Salem Express, I remember the grief of a colleague at work who didn't know how many of his family had perished. It was also the first time I saw a frog fish so it was a huge see saw of emotions. I wouldn't not walk through a grave yard but I would do so showing respect, so diving one is no different.

Attached Files:

9. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

I have dived several designated war graves, plus numerous other wrecks where lives were lost and as you say I personally don't have a problem with diving such sites providing you are respectfull.

Not sure what makes the Salem Express different, possibly the fact that it is clear that she was a recent tradgedy and the constant reminder in the form of personal posessions that lives were lost - on most wrecks all personal posessions have long since been "grave robbed" by divers. Also the thanks to the crew the dive deck had a different atmosphere that morning, not unpleasant but abit like diving the Thistlegorm at 1am on the aniversary of her sinking the atmosphere was more solemn and as such so was the dive.

10. Steppenwolf

Same here. I am fairly hardnosed nut there was an eerie atmosphere about that dive with recognizable moden stuff scattered among the wreckage. I am not going back on that dive.

11. Flower36

Flower36 Member

Have only dived the Zenobia, done 10 plus dives on her now, latest one was the car decks. Absolutly fab dives, very clear viz and lots to see from 30 metres up to 16.

12. gunner

gunner Member

The german fleet in Scapa Flow gets my vote. You can't beat big guns!

That and the Leopardville off the coast of France. Its a deep wreck but the current keep it silt free and its quite intact.

13. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Was chuffed to see this on the most recent episode of The Great Barrier Reef, it was even better in real life.

C

Doomanic likes this.
  14. Steppenwolf

I am going on the Truk Odyssey liveaboard exactly a year from now and there should be some good wrecks out there. And at some stage in my dive career I hope to dive the USS Liberty in Bali. But I think it will take a lot to displace my own favourite wreck thus far - Numidia in the Red Sea.

15. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

ooh, I'm planning to go to Bali this year, to werner lau near the Liberty, house reef and boat trips, and a Spa for the missus.

16. Steppenwolf

When are you going to Bali? If you have not booked the trip already, they to be in Denpasar on Saturday 9th June. Traditionally, the second Saturday in June is the day of the spectacular opeining parade of the Bali Cultural Festival.

We are hoping to do Bali in June 2014. Long way off!

17. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Was thinking September! Need to save up.

C

18. PAUL WHITTALL

PAUL WHITTALL Member
    UKD Supporter

It has to be the Illinois for me. on 49.59N and 2.20W. 75 metres max. Superb....as it's settled on rock, the viz can be superb. It's so intact it's hard to believe it's 1st WW.