1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Is Your Top Wreck?

Discussion in 'Shipwrecks' started by Mosta Dome, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Mosta Dome

Mosta Dome Beer is proof that God loves us.

I recently read a dive travel guide which included HMS Maori as one of the world's top wrecks. I've dived Maori, managed to get in and out on the jagged rocks.......just, poor viz and I nearly ended up with another group! The wreck is okay.......but no more. Well that is what I think.

My favourite wreck dived so far (as I have Thistlegorm next month for the first time) is Faroud.

What is your favourite wreck (and why)?

Cheers

2. Gnomey

Gnomey Well-Known Member

If you are going to Malta then try the SS Margit in Valetta harbour. A fantastic dive and great REAL wreck.

3. mala

mala Member

in malta it would be "le polynesiene"

nice and intact.

4. Mosta Dome

Doesn't have to be Malta..........................anywhere on the globe!
    Cheers

5. Mosta Dome

Maybe a tad too deep for me?
    cheers

6. big si

big si Well-Known Member

my favourite diving paradise is the UK, the best for me is moldavia followed by M2, and U714 then the german fleet of scapa flow. also rosalie moller in the red sea, if she was in the UK then she would be top of the list.

7. AndyA

AndyA Member

Maybe not the best wreck, but my best wreck dive was the Tile Wreck in the Red Sea, the one they think is either the Marcos or Chrisoula K. It was my first Red Sea wreck dive and the first wreck I had dived on so thats why its my best

8. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Me......................... or Zenobia. Big, loads to see, lots of wild life and warm, clear water.

9. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

I think I would have to say the Rosecastle in Newfoundland.

It's was diving her that bent me, so we are bound to have a close bond - and she is far too good a dive to bear a grudge against ;)

(photos by Mike Ward and stolen off Divernet)
    [​IMG]
    The telegraph in the engine room , at 42m that was what bent me
    (actually, no it was the PFO which bent me - not the diving)

[​IMG]
    The Marconi Radio still intact - there was no need to even penetrate the wreck to see this and with being at deck level it is well within recreational depths.

Also Gin clear water (makes the Red Sea look murkey), wrecks which are only recently discovered so haven't been trashed by divers (plus a strict "no take" policy) puts the diving in a league of it's own :thumbup: Just wish the water was abit warmer :cold:

Mosta Dome likes this.
  10. Phil O

Phil O Member

My top wreck dive was on Big Brother - drop onto the Aida and then scooter round the reef to meet the Numidia at 50m. The Numidia is on a nice slope with its bow at around 10m and the stern deep down around 80m. We would enter the wreck around 45-50m depth and begin our ascent inside her moving from holds to engine/boiler room compartments with a gas switch at 21m before exiting the wreck. All our deco would then be done on the fly around the reef. Magical... particularly seeing sharks on the reef :)

Craig20two and furryman like this.
  11. Bobco

Bobco Active Member

City of Westminster, Runnel Stone, Cornwall. A real cracker

12. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

Numidia is the best wreck that I have ever dived. Extending from just over 9m to 90m, it offers a large variation in depth exploration. There is plenty of colourful coral and fish life and penetration into the engine room is possible with due care. There are small surges here and there where the damaged woodwork allows water to channel through.

Thislegorm is OK but too 'touristy' for my taste. A great wreck that I have heard about but not yet dived is the Liberty in Bali.

13. Mosta Dome

That really looks a fantastic wreck and as you say.........so clear!
    Impressive.

Cheers

14. mala

mala Member

DSC_4118-Daryl-and-Fin-on-the-bow-(B+W)-1.jpg i might have a pic of the poly bow

15. Mosta Dome

Also impressive. I'm going to You Tube it. How deep is it and where does it lie off the coast of Malta?
    Cheers

16. mala

mala Member

its about 5 miles offshore from valletta.

guess the starboard rail is about 50 at the bow getter deeper to the stern.
    its quite big and most of the wreck is between 55 and 65.
    sea bed about 65 to 70.

17. Mosta Dome

Hmm! Don't think I will ever get to see her first hand but she looks an excellent deep wreck.
    Cheers

18. bottlefish

bottlefish Super dooper member
    UKD Supporter

For me, has to be the HMS Southwold, also in Malta. A WW2 destroyer sunk in 1942 during the Malta seige, she sits in two sections, both at around 70 metres. The attached video was compiled over a number of dives;

The Southwold was sunk after striking a mine just off the shores of Malta, whilst trying to manouvere in to assist the striken Beconshire, and allied supply ship that was bombed by the axis forces. It is the tragic culmination of one of the Malta Convoys. Four supply ships left North Africa, protected by a fleet of naval boats under the protection of Admiral Vians. They managed to survive the Second Battle of Sirtes, a sea battle against Italian forces, including their battleship the Litorio; whilst the Glan Campbell was lost at sea, the other three supply ships, the Pampas, Breconshire and Talabot all manged to reach the shores of Malta. However they all then sustained huge damage during sustained air attacks from the Axis forces, resulting in 80% of the supplies being lost.

This was a crusing blow for the Maltese population; it was the first supply run to get that close for a number of months, and the last one to get anywhere near Malta until the seige was eventually broken on the 15th August 1942 with the arrival of the Ohio, and subsequent ships.

You can find the original hand written navigator notes from the Breconshire, detailing the events of the day, including the Southwold's attempt to pull them out of the trouble, at the Imperial War museum. I have met the Navigator of the Southwold, one of the last people to leave the wreck, and seen the corresponding handwritten notes from the Southwold's log.

Seeing a wreck like that leaves me full of contradications. Despite the iyllic conditions in Malta, it's still a very challenging dives, especially when you add in the logistics and extra equipment of filming. The wreck portions are fantastic to see, covered in life; shoaling fish, and clad in soft corals and anemones, the guns still stand proud, and the surrounding sand if littered with debris, bullets etc which thankfully, divers leave behind. She's quite beautiful, and has become a haven for nature life.

But she arrived there due to man's conflict, a result of our destructive forces, she sits as a hidden monument to the supply convoys, and the history of Malta, the fortitude of the Maltese people during that time. The position of Malta was hugely important to the direction of the war; the seige was almost succesful, and Malta almost fell into Axis control, had this had happened, we may well have seen a different outcome to the War.

Malta, still, to this day, remains the most bombed place in the world. During March and April of 1942, there were twice as many bombs dropped on the 7 mile long island as there was dropped on the whole of London, during the worst year of the Blitz.

Big Joe, Doomanic, Mosta Dome and 2 others like this.
  19. Mosta Dome

That is excellent and a big thanks for showing the video and providing history behind this wreck. Very interesting indeed
    Cheers.

20. divewench

divewench Well-Known Member

Obviously, here in Bali, it would have to be the famous USAT Liberty at Tulamben, closely followed by the Japanese wreck at Amed. I'd put photos on if I could get around the glitches I'm having with the new website :C