1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you wear under your neoprene drysuit

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Jason, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Jason

Jason New Member

Just wondering if a normal helly hansen etc base layer set would be ok under a neoprene drysuit, i have seen the xerotherm sets, and with what i have spent over the last month its not exactly in the budget.

2. Air-Guzzler

Air-Guzzler Cannot spel and I cannut delet your post :-)

i use the fourth element dry base and unless its brass monkey weather have been fine

3. gunner

gunner Member

I use a 4th Element Arctic top and tracky bottoms with a thick pair of socks. Never been cold.

The top is only because my drysuit does not fit perfectly and I get a drip down my arm using an smb!

4. divingdoc1

divingdoc1 Active Member

artic from spring to summer, xerotherm in hi summer, xerotherm and arctic in winter or in quarry. Dont believe in being cold unless i have to

5. Jason

Jason New Member

I've been looking at this one

Cimatec

I have the everdry suit and its not a bad price

6. Coldhands

Coldhands New Member

I have a Weezle which you can see here
    It keeps me toasty and I am a grade A wimp in the cold (I have my username for a reason!)

7. camelweed

camelweed New Member

I find Nike Pro Thermal is good for most diving here in Ireland.

8. marks61

marks61 Member

Speedos under a 5mm full and shortie combo :thumbup:

:rolleyes: poofs :tongue: ;)

9. Bobco

Bobco Active Member

Not much under mine for much of the year, layers, thin, some on when its cold, some off when its warm

10. rainbowannie

rainbowannie New Member

I have a standard neoprene drysuit, not the compressed version and I've been using cheap thermal long-johns with a long sleeve t shirt. Wasn't cold at all even at 5 degrees. I am on the look out for some thin wicking thermals though to try to stop me getting damp on a warm day!!

11. bubblehead08

bubblehead08 New Member

Depends really but quite often just a pair of boxer shorts. If it's really cold then a set of long johns.

12. bottlefish

bottlefish Super dooper member
    UKD Supporter

I use the fourth element drybase and artic undersuits, in a variety of combinations, depending on the type of dive I'm doing and water temperature.

I used to use a weasle undersuit, absolutely superb, sadly it no longer fits under my dry suit. Its in excellent condition, up for grabs if you are any one else is interested.... suitable for an average sized bloke, complete with silly socks :)

13. Badknees

Badknees Meg Pilot (retired) and Forum KGB

I've just got a BARE tech suit and it's the dogs dangleeeeees, I found i only need the thin fourth elements and can drop 3 kg in wieght.

BK

14. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

Neoprene suits should provide a reasonable amount of insulation themselves so you will need less clothing than with membrane. The golden rule is to avoid cotton, you need something which will wick moisture away from your skin and also provide reasonable warmth even when wet.

Fourth Element certainly are good, last weekend I was diving in a set of the artics under my membrane suit and was comfy for two 45+min dives. A good pair of thermals are a good place to start but make sure you get a good overlap round your midrift as coming untucked will soon get you cold.

15. Jason

Jason New Member

Well i have decided to go for the climatec, the xerotherm combinations are just another expense for now so maybe in the future..:D
    Lightweight, water-repellent, breathable, 2-layer soft material, ensuring comfort and warmth.
    Double-ended front zipper, ankle stirrups and thumb loops with Velcro neck closure and zippered pockets for easy access, wear and convenience
    [​IMG]