1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you lot carry your expensive dive gear around in?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Stu @ M Developments, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Stu @ M Developments

Stu @ M Developments Active Member

Hi folks,
    Was on a dive boat yesterday and, amongst other things, one of the things that crossed my mind is just how harsh it can be on your most fragile and expensive dive gear.

Things like your dive computer, underwater camera, umbilical torch, O2 Analyser, and of course your wallet, phone, wrist watch and other expensive stuff you tend to have with you etc etc.

So, since I plan to get lots more boat diving in, and its only going to get rougher, I am going to sort something out for mine, current best plan is a carry case with foam lining so I can give each item its own space as I saw one done to good effect recently... but, for the sake of inspiration, show me what you guys have done? (If anything of course)

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

If you're really worried, shell out on a Peli-Case from www.peliproducts.co.uk/
    Even if you don't want a pelicase, check out the staff bios...

3. Doomanic

Staff Member

I have no idea why that text is green... :confused:

4. Stu @ M Developments

Peli is indeed what Ive been looking at.
    Not sure what you mean by "Staff bios" though?

5. Doomanic

Staff Member

Staff profiles, top right of page, someone has a sense of humour.

6. Stu @ M Developments

Just spent 1/4 hour reading those, brilliant! LOL

7. Roy

Roy Active Member

Small 5l dry bag for drugs, wallet, phone and keys usefull to grab if you leave the boat in a hurry, e.g. lifeboat or helicopter.
    Computer on my wrist, O2 Analyser? do that before getting on boat, torch on kit, camera in pocket or on top of mesh bag with remaining gear in it.
    Please do not take a large kit box on the boat.

8. Badknees

Badknees Meg Pilot (retired) and Forum KGB

One 10lt dry bag and a mesh goodie bag.

Only take what you need to on boats. Make sure your kit is in good order before you board. And leave all the crap you don't need at home.

BK.

9. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

For HARD boat diving my kit is assembled on shore (less change of me turning green), and carried down in one unit. Also reduces the chance of me leaving something in the car and gives me the oportinuity to mend/borrow/buy spares if something is broken/forgotten.

Stage cylinders are assembled on land and are tidily stowed under the bench directly under MY kit with my weightbelt.

Masks in fin pockets (no boxes to loose) and fins, dSMB, reel, spare torches and other "stuff" that can get wet are in a large mesh rucksack bag which again goes under my bench. I have a smaller mesh bag inside this with computer/slate/strobe etc

Usually our rather large tool box goes in the cabin, but gasses are all analysed in comfort on dry land and cylinders marked up accordingly.

I have a rucksack drybag which we use as a grabbag and also for gloves/hats/food and other "bits" which need to be kept dry. The agreement is that this also contains my handbag and that if one of us is evacuated they take it with them (money, debit card, phone, car key) whilst my partners keys, phone and wallet stay on the boat so the other person isn't stranded.

Depending on the weather I may also carry my undersuit on (if it's cold I wear it!) in it's drybag, and unless it's a very short ride out my suit will be (again under the bench) in it's bag.

It sounds like alot of gear but I dive with full technical kit including 2 stages but if I'm organised it only takes me 3 trips from the car to load on the boat :cool:

10. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

Same as Roy there is no room on most uk boats and if your on a rib even less assemble kit and a mesh bag for fins, mask, hood gloves etc. As for getting to the site a B and Q crate for dive kit and for camera kit a variety of bubble wrap in a snap lid box (klipfresh). The advantage of the boxes is they weigh next to nothing and Ive transported camera gear in hand luggage perfectly safe.

11. Stu @ M Developments

Thanks for all your input folks, its given me food for thought.
    Just seems crackers that some folk have £2k+ worth of reasonably fragile items rolling about the deck just waiting to get trodden on / soaked / lost / stolen when there must be a decent solution.
    And its not just on boats, even on shore dives and inland trips we all tend to just fling all this expensive stuff in the car and do comedy miles with big heavy cylinders etc potentially rolling around in a rampage too.

I will update this topic with my solution as soon as its all sorted.

12. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

First of all I don't RIB dive.

On hardboats my cylinder etc is tied down securely so it can't fall and get damaged. Smaller items are collated in a mesh bag (under the bench where my kit is) so they can't get stood on - nobody likes a messy dive deck.

In the van cylinders are strapped down securely to the anchor points, these will not shift or roll around in transit. Majority of kit is in two (one each) large boxes which protects the gear and keeps it all in one place, again are strapped down anchor points of the vehicle. The remainder wedges nicely between the cylinders/boxes, so the whole lot has very little potential to move/shift in transit.

13. puddle fish

In Transport its in boxes, on boats its on me, or cliped to my harness which is secured, the rest in a small mesh bag under the bench in over 300 dives no problems. When on a boat the less you have to do the less likely you are to drop and brake something. Ive had some very bumpy rides back from sites. Camera kit assmbled before I get on the boat and best on the floor in a corner with a weight belt to stop it moving. It helps that I dive with divers that do similar and dont walk about a boat fully kitted up but remain seated until ready to jump in.

14. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

+1 (phew, saved me typing all that out!) :D

15. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

+2

16. Dennis Jacobson

Dennis Jacobson New Member

A hard case that protects everything is appropriate for transport, but these large cases are often just in the way on a dive boat. For a day boat, I use a mesh bag, but I do have a special slip cover for my computer/gauge console, and the whole regulator and console set up is protected in a soft but padded bag designed for that purpose.
    DivemasterDennis

17. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

I travel a lot to dive destinations and so a heavy foam-lined case is out of the question with flight weight limitations. I carry my camera kit in my hand luggage except the strobes. I have foam lined wraps for the strobe heads and I keep them in the midst of my dive kit surrounded by the BCD, fins and wetsuit. Afer damaging a couple of wheeled dive bags in-between, I have gone back to the £29 (back then) the old but strongly built Aqualung Classic bag that holds my bit nicely. For what it is worth, I get them to stick "Fragile" stickers on my dive bag at flight check-in and so far I have been lucky.

18. galiton

galiton New Member

I have a rucksack drybag which we use as a grabbag and also for gloves/hats/food and other "bits" which need to be kept dry. The agreement is that this also contains my handbag and that if one of us is evacuated they take it with them (money, debit card, phone, car key) whilst my partners keys, phone and wallet stay on the boat so the other person isn't stranded.

PeterT likes this.
  19. Gareth Burrows

Gareth Burrows Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a tough mountain equipment gear bag. When I go into the mountains I throw all my scrambling gear into it and chuck it in the car. When I go diving, I chuck all the dive gear into it and throw it in the car. Think it cost about £50

I don't treat any of my gear, mountain or diving, as "precious" or "delicate". If it's not tough enough to withstand the abuse I throw at it then it's the wrong choice of gear for me. I want gear that will work in all conditions, not stuff I have to put in padded boxes. Anyone who has done coaching with me will know that I don't stand for nonsense from kit because I'm too busy. It either works or gets replaced with something that does. I like to think the fear keeps it working :)

Fundies is funny because on day 1 people are bubble wrapping their kit like it's their newborn child, but by the end of the course they are just throwing it all in the back of the car. :)

20. puddle fish

Your Car :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy: