1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you all up to?

Discussion in 'Off Gassing' started by splinter, Mar 25, 2020.

1. splinter

splinter Active Member

So how is everyone keeping themselves busy in these strange times?

We closed up shop at work yesterday after finishing up a couple of kitchens for customers, so today I'm looking to keep myself busy to avoid going nuts. I've got one kitchen to plan for when we start back again, which I can do at home but that's only a couple of days work.

I've got a long list of jobs to do on the house and garden, as long as I can get the materials to do them.

GCSE year for my youngest, so even though no exams, she still getting emailed lots of school work, so will be helping with that.

I'm lucky to have a really nice patch of woodland 20 minutes walk away, so the dogs got a good long walk this morning. Nobody around at 7.30.

I've already serviced most of my regs, but still have a couple to do if I can get more service kits. The rest of my kit could use some attention too after not being used for the last year.

Just started the free trial of Disney+ (for the kids, honest!) and am watching Draining the seas on the nat geo section. Bit Americanised, but interesting none the less.

So, who's doing what? Any good suggestions for keeping busy?

Tim.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Just been sent this Government Information Video

Big Joe and splinter like this.
  3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

At the moment work's staggeringly busy. Deal with hundreds of gyms and healthclubs who have just seen their income stop. Once that's over completely unsure what's happening; depends if the strategy is invest to improve systems or hibernate the business. If they'll invest then there's loads of development work which will keep me busy for many months.

If the latter then I've got loads of work to do on my boat; varnishing, painting, possibly updating various things; all to get ready to sail away from the zombie apocalypse. Was going to sell her but now going to keep her for the time being.

BTW it's interesting some of the conversations on the sailing forums about people who are sailing long distance and having problems arriving from ocean sailing! The Belgians have also banned any pleasure craft from sailing though any of their territorial waters -- which is so true to form for the Belgian bureaucracy!

Aside from that, we live in the countryside, so lots of space for nice walks, nice scenery, riding pushbikes. Wife likes gardening, so happy pottering in the spring weather. Nice to see the roads are quiet.

Welcome to the world of carbon neutrality!

splinter likes this.
  4. splinter

splinter Active Member

Nicked that to pass around. Very good!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Oh, and just found out that the marina's locking the gates, so can't get access to the boat during the lockdown.

What a royal PITA - the lockdown is primarily aimed at the city wallahs, less so those who already live in social isolation!

6. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Bit of forward planning for the jobs I was planning to do when I returned from Cyprus in mid May.
    • New shed (resin) delivered assembled and fitted into place
    • Lots of fence paint for the garden fences delivered and painted where the new shed went. Remainder of fence to do.
    • New waterproof electrical socket installed.
    • Load of composite decking and timber supports delivered over the weekend
    • Old shed part dismantled (now on tea break) and when fully dismantled to be stored for future delivery to daughter. (Guess who will get the re-assembly job)
    • Nearly 30 square metres of decking to install
    • Bought a decent pre-loved DSLR to see if I can teach myself photography.
    • Loads of e-books and recorded TV to catch up with.
    That should keep me busy until tea time. ;);)

Was also supposed to be having a new right knee when I came back - I am assuming that it will be on hold for some time to come.

Stay safe and don't give in to boredom.

splinter likes this.
  7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Which camera did you get? I've just updated my ageing Canon 40d to a "pre loved" Canon 80d for a massive saving over the current 90d.

8. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Canon 760D. I've found out how to switch it on. :):)

9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Working from home but still have work on, currently working on a project repurposing one of our laboratories to take on covid testing, expecting 15k samples per week.

Wibble and splinter like this.
  10. John F

John F Active Member

Just about finished moving my workshop. I work alone and can go all day without see anyone, so as the lease on my old workshop runs out at the end of the month, I have to get it done. But i don’t think there will be any Motorsport this year so I won’t have much work. And no diving. A tough year, but others have it worse.

Wibble and splinter like this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Sounds really interesting. What's involved with testing a sample for Covid19? Is it some form of DNA analysis? Does it take long to run the test - anything to "grow"? And... is it expensive?

12. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I don’t 100% know as I don’t work in the lab but likely RNA extraction and purification followed by a PCR amplification step before testing for the presence of a gene (I don’t know how this bit is done). Positive samples will then be gene-sequenced to check relationships with other samples to try and trace who infected who and to see if there is more than one strain going round.

the PCR thing is relatively quick but the gene sequencing takes a bit longer (about 24 hours). Gene sequencing can create A LOT of data and processing this can be quite computationally and memory resource heavy.

gene sequencing is expensive too, less than £1000 per sample but not massively less. This is just to create the raw data, processing this data is extra.

#12 jb2cool, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Wibble likes this.
  13. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I’m working from home so at my PC most of the time, though I’m also able to get out into the fields/woods for my daily run.

I was supposed to be diving in Tenerife (liveaboard small sailing boat) last week and fell foul of the marina’s closing. If we had set sail we wouldn’t have been allowed back.

I’ve also, since, been doing some garden bits - scrubbing the patio, digging out some slowly sinking paving stones, and I have wood seal for my shed and fence to do this weekend.

I’ve also been doing a lot of online training - nautical archaeology stuff, marine biology etc. There is loads of good academic stuff to keep busy with. I also ran some dive leader lectures by phone and over the web yesterday for a couple of people in my club.

14. snowman

snowman Active Member

Working from home, as usual, so less of a change for me than most people, although work has slowed to a trickle (not good as I'm a freelancer, paid by the hour, not on a salary).

Not diving, obviously, but I just bought a Conshelf XIV reg set to play with when and if we're ever allowed back in anything deeper than my bath! :D

Done some chores around the home, I'm the part-time caretaker at my local school, too,so I'll be fixing some guttering there in the next week (once the key worker's kids are on Easter holiday).

I was supposed to be on a plane to Cyprus for 5 days, diving on the Zenobia, RIGHT NOW, but that rather pales into insignificance next to my daughter's June wedding being canceled! :(

Watching planned trips get canceled as the days pass, too...

M.

15. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

This is the current test: the goal for mass testing is a more straightforward antbody/antigen test (bit like a pregnancy test) that can be done quickly and outside the lab.

Ther's a few companies on the right track, but sensitivity/selectivity selectivity seems to be the challenge. Recent reports in Spanish papers suggest that the tests they bought from China to trial are only give +ve results 30%/50% of the time. When positive they are right, but they are just not sensitive enough.

16. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

I got a call from the Council coordination team yesterday asking if I could deliver some food packages to people self-isolating.

It was bit chaotic at the distribution hub but understandable given that it is normally used for library books and one of the first guys I spoke to was working in the parks last week.

I got there before the packages were ready so I was helping out with whatever needed doing before my deliveries were ready. There were at least 8 people wasting their time dividing rolls of 200 disposible aprons into rolls of 50, presumably ‘cos there ain’t enough to go around. Took me at least 15 minutes to split one roll into 4!! What a waste of the already limited resources.

And the Government are trying to tell us that the delivery of PPE equipment is ‘ramping-up’.

The only people there with masks were those that brought their own.

I spent the whole afternoon getting just 6 deliveries out. The scale of the problem is going to be unsustainable. It’s gonna need flat bed trucks and teams of hundreds, not half a dozen volunteers with their own motors.

Dave Whitlow likes this.
  17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

If the test isn't sensitive enough, but IS accurate, then this Shirley has to be a really useful test: if you test positive for the antibodies, you should be able to get back to work! This is especially the case for those who've had mild symptoms and may not be aware they've had CV. For those who the test didn't positively identify, it's fail-safe, they're not "cleared".

Or is this too simplistic?

18. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Good effort. My wife is in a higher risk group so I I'm staying at home.

In view of surface transfer possibilities I really I hope a lots of hand washing is being done!
    https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/new-coronavirus-stable-hours-surfaces

19. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I've just disconnected the cells in my rebreather and removed the batteries. I don't think it will be getting used any time soon.

20. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Good thinking.

Stick the cells in a ziplock bag and flush it through with helium. That'll put them virtually to sleep.

Wibble likes this.