1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the pros/cons 10 litre twinsets?

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Jimnibimnibob, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Jimnibimnibob

Jimnibimnibob New Member

What are the pros/cons 10 litre twinsets?

Hi,

I am debating whether to go for either a 10l or 12l twinset. I understand that standard 10l twins can be a bit too short, making resting them when sitting on a bench and shut off drills awkward.

However, Vitkovice manufacture 10l twinsets that are 615mm tall, which is only 75mm shorter than the 690mm 12l Apeks/Eurocylinders.

I had not heard of Vitkovice, but from researching the brande, it is my understanding they use to manufacture cylinders for Apeks and have all of the CE certificates.

The Vitkovice 10l (615mm) dry weight is 11.9 kg and the 12l are 14.5 (2.6 kg heavier per cylinder). It is the extra weight of lugging twin 12's around on the surface that puts me off. I appreciate that despite the surface weight of twin 12's they are popular due to their trim, balance and buoyancy in the water.

What are the pros and cons of 10l twins and other considerations?

Regards

Jimnibob

2. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Rebreather ? :whistling:

No ?! Ok , buy a trolley ?

But really depends on why your going twins. Your height comes into it marginally, if your short 10’s might be ergonomically better. But really look at dive depth , run times , deco? Sac rate , team (buddy) kit considerations, possibility of getting a couple of rec dives out of 12’s.

if your looking at accelerated deco diving you’d be hard pushed to better twin 12 and 7 ally deco tin. 10’s will be a bit limiting imho.

3. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

And not just for you, but everyone you dive with unless you have exceptionally low SAC,

4. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

What do your buddies use? If they use 12's then it's easier for you to just use 12's too. Weight shouldn't be too much of an issue, I know a few girls that use 12's with no issues. The people that I know that have used 10's have not liked them due to their height.

My cylinders are made by Vitkovice, I believe they are about 13.2/13.4Kg or something in that range.

5. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

The main problem I've heard people having with 10s is the length of them - to have them with the valves in the right place, they are so short that when you sit down, the cylinders don't touch the bench (although if you're 5'2", they're apparently just right).

My twin 12s are flat bottomed Vitkovice. They are 14.1kg each

I've had no problem with them - they just passed their first visual test.

#5 NickPicks, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  6. Jimnibimnibob

Jimnibimnibob New Member

I have heard that Vitkovice use to manufacture for Apeks until recently. What manifold do the Vitkovice come with or have you built your own set with a different manifold?

7. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

12s aren’t all that bad to lug on the surface, especially if you’re willing and able to lug the 10s.

I’d go for the 12s and some gym time.

Get fit and dive man-sized cylinders. :)

8. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I used Apeks valves with mine, then swapped over to DIR Zone (IIRC).

9. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

My cylinders came with a generic (probably Scubatech) manifold the same as most other sets.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

For thinner lighter cylinders I use a pair of 8.5 litre cylinders. These are great as they’re about as tall as 12s but thinner and lighter for carrying. I dive them sidemount. Recently used them for a couple of beach dives as they were light but gave me sufficient gas and redundancy.

Twin 12s, which I’ll be using for this weekend’s 40m wreck dive, contain sufficient gas for about an hour of bottom time. They’re heavy, but easy to carry from the car to the boat.

I don’t have 10 litre cylinders because they’re too small for bigger dives, but too big and heavy for smaller dives — they’re neither one nor the other.

Unless you’ve a reason for selecting 10s, 12s are probably better,

11. Tribal Chestnut

UKD Supporter

I have a pair of 10 litre cylinders for sidemount - they are perfect when 7s aren’t quite enough and 12s are a little too big.

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

All proof that Sidemount != Backmount

13. NickPicks

NickPicks Active Member

I bought my set from GoDive 2 years ago. It came with an Apeks manifold and valves (which are lovely).

14. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I’ve never owned 10s but a lot of people in my club have owned the SAME set of 10s. They get sold second, third and fourth hand endlessly doing the rounds. Nothing particularly wrong with them, but nothing particularly right either for the reasons given above. People always settle on 12s or 7s (8.5s?) in the end.

Forgetting the height, we do a lot of two dive days from boats. Twin 12s, divers tend to get in with 220 bar and out with 120 from dive one. Then in with120 and out with 50 from shallower dive 2. Twin 10s are mostly not big enough. Twin 7s work well, but like single tanks, you swap between dives, so you need to buy twice...

Wibble likes this.
  15. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

As you say, 10s have no advantage and aren't really optimal for anything. For many they are too short to rest comfortably when seated.
    When dived like that in recreational depths (to 35m) for a 2 dive day, twin 12s have no advantage over a single 15 (and pony) with a 12 for the second dive. If anything they are excessively heavy for the first dive, and conserving gas for the second dive is annoying, whilst potentially gas-limiting the second dive. I never liked these compromises and when I dived twins 12s, for the 2 dive day, I'd blow as much as I wanted on the first dive decanted from a 300bar 12 (of 40%) before the second dive. Topping up all bottles with air had me ready for the following day.