1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What a wonderful world!

Discussion in 'New to Scuba Diving' started by Azz, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You know Wibs, If it was me and I didn't know the PADI course,
    didn't know what the material was like or how easy it is to reference,
    i'd kinda just keep quiet :p

Colliwobbles and jb2cool like this.
  2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Some feedback from my daughter, OW qualified Wednesday in 28 degree calm sea. Without any prompting "If I'd had to learn in England in a drysuit, I would have given up.". Both she and hubbie want to continue in UK and know that they've got to learn drysuit diving. I agree with her; initially I thought of diving as a holiday occupation and then realised there were too few holidays in the year to get enough dives in.

3. Azz

Azz New Member

Fair point, i think its time to consult the boss and see what she thinks :)

4. Colliwobbles

Colliwobbles Active Member

@Wibble have you actually done any padi courses in your diving career? Or are you just spouting off???

E learning has now been replaced by 'touch' products which are available as 'lite' (online) or the full downloadable off line product that is fully interactive and doesn't require the interweb to work.

Please leave the padi stuff to people who know what they're on about to save yourself any grief.

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Yes. Up to Rescue Diver and some specialities: drysuit, nitrox, "deep".

As I said, I'd not used PADI e-course materials, but have cringed at the multi-coloured wetsuits and presentation videos which I hope have been updated. Do they still use that eRDP thing?

I did some UK training which I thought was massively better than the holiday location training where I did my OW & AOW

6. Azz

Azz New Member

Don't worry guys, we'll get one of each :)

7. snowman

snowman Active Member

It's a fair point for some, but not true of everyone.

I did OW in Sharm (Dedicated week - Honestly a couple of hours a day in a classroom was no hardship, basking in the sun reading a book and putting kit together was a lot nicer than doing it in a swimming pool, so I'd not encourage anyone to do a referral, but I can see it may suit the OP's child minding circumstances) and then AOW in Madeira (squeezed into a family holiday) with a Drysuit and Nitrox course in Wraysbury in between!.

Maybe I'm extremely gifted ( ;) ), but I didn't find it terribly difficult to apply the skills I learnt in warm,clear water to colder, green murky stuff, so don't get too hung up on "Learn where you'll dive".

If you think you'll be mostly a holiday diver, go and enjoy yourself somewhere warm. If you want to dive in the UK a lot and want to experience poor vis and cold water while you learn, do that.

I dive mostly in the UK these days. Clear, warm, blue water is lovely when you get in it and certainly easier to dive in, but ultimately it's applying the same skills, so why struggle while you're learning.

M

Wibble likes this.
  8. Azz

Azz New Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. It really helps getting advice from different perspectives. Here's what the wife and I have decided on:

As we're really keen to get started and getting holiday is difficult until mid August, we've decided to do the entire OW here in the UK. Its much easier logistically and we've already got childcare lined up here.

I've been advised that we may get put off by diving here but since we've already dived in warm and clear water, we know what we got into and why we liked it. If we dont like the OW in Wraysbury, we'll just treat it as medicine to get the training sorted and then just go on from there.

We're also pushing the drysuit course to later, probably after we've completed a few dives.

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Sounds like a nice plan. The good news with Wraysbury and other shallower lakes is they warm up in the summer.

Good luck:)

10. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Agree 100% in an ideal world. But not all instructors are the same and you are more likley (in my opinion) to receive sub standard tuition in a holiday resort. And you will not know whch skills were glossed over until you need them!

I have witnessed some frankly astonishing 'passes' in resorts and also had the misfortune to be buddied with the "it's ok he has just passed AOW with us" diver whose leg I had to grab to stop a rapid ascent from 25m.

11. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Azz, that sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

12. Azz

Azz New Member

all booked ... possibly doing pool dives towards end of May :p

theory starts tomorrow

13. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

I have friends that have done various shore based holidays and either gone with grandparents or shared the childcare and babysittiing duties and diving. If you did your training in the UK Im sure both the recomendations already given will be able to work round your existing childcare. The diving in the UK is very different to the Maldives but it has given me some of the best diving experiences. There is so much you can do with your youngster now which would give them a gret grounding if they want to start scuba through seal team and aqua missions in the pool.

14. Azz

Azz New Member

he's 3.5yo at the moment and can stay in the water in his floats without any problems... he started his proper swimming lessons this saturday and really enjoyed it

i agree with the grand parents suggestion and we're now planning an August holiday where we can do something like that.

How is Turkey for diving?

15. snowman

snowman Active Member

No real quibble with that.

If you accept you're inexperienced and take new diving experiences with care (IE don't do your first UK dives in rough open water to 35M after passing OW and AOW back to back - Don't do them back to back at all, in fact, but...), then you can build up skill levels.

Sadly I've seen some terrible UK trained divers too (not all PADI either!) - One, supposedly well trained and experienced UK diver, couldn't stop for any 6M safety stop, suggesting their former buddy - and presumably instructor - had held them down for the stops! :eek:

M

hawk likes this.
  16. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

Clear water and interesting topography and caves not so good on fish life. certinaly worth a dive. Malta is another possibility along with Cyprus.

17. Azz

Azz New Member

Update: PADI app going well... two sections finished ... 100% on each quiz

Booked our confined pool dives for weekend end May, and OW at Wraysbury early June

Terribly exciting stuff!!

Oh, and we're planning our December holiday in Malaysia ... perhenthian or sipadan

JohnL, splinter, Vanny and 1 other person like this.
  18. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

People like you got a hard time at my school.:geek:

19. Azz

Azz New Member

Hah ... if only school taught interesting things like equalising and buoyancy control :p

20. Azz

Azz New Member

The confined water dives are almost upon us ... this weekend

Really looking forward to it but some of the exercises seem a bit daunting ... lets hope we can get through them