1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

West Cyprus?

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by JohnL, Feb 1, 2018.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Our house sale is proving a pain and the planned move date of 7 February (next Wednesday) is under threat, as we haven't exchanged yet. We have decided that we need a break if all goes belly up and are looking at Cyprus, which is reasonably warm and cheap.
    My wife has picked up that there are a load of dive centres on the West coast although, so far, the only recommendation for diving seems to be the Zenobia. I've got no ambitions for great diving, just want to relax and get my feet wet as the last dive was in September. Being a wimp, I'll take my dry suit - I need more practice in it anyway.

2. snowman

snowman Active Member

Not much life in the sea in Cyprus, to be honest.

Out of Latchi on the NW coast (where I did my try dive), there's the Blue Lagoon, which is a popular snorkelling spot - A fair number of fish there because the boats tend to do a BBQ and through the chicken bones into the sea, where the fish pick them clean.

Turtles nest on the beaches here, so there's at least a chance of seeing some and we saw loads of flying fish (above the surface) along this stretch of coast.

Don't expect a lot though.

Never dived on the Zenobia, but I've heard it's pretty good.

M.

3. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

If the zen’s close enough I’d just do that. It’s big enough to loose a week on. Otherwise the divings fairly bland, but would tick the warm clear simple relaxing box.

4. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

Ive used Coral bay divers a fair bit, they are located just outside of Paphos. So fair few dives arround that area and towards the akamas pinisular. I was diving with my 15 year old son so wanted long shallow dives. He got on realy well and so we also did a day trip to the Zen great dive. done white river, pistol bay, Ampitheater, Pafos harbour, a few others cant remember http://www.proscubadiver.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/Dive-Map-1024x805.png

5. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

I know the south east corner well (we have an apartment out there). The diving is typically Med, but at least you can get wet in the warm. The Zenobia is a great dive and always reckoned to be in the top ten in the world. Plenty of stuff on 'tinterweb and YouTube if you want to get a flavour of it.

6. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

The centre I'm looking at is Scubatech in Protaras on the East Coast. Seem to cover everything from beginners to rebreathers - the opportunity to complete my BSAC SD course is very attractive.

7. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

My mates got an apartment out there and I'm sure scuba tech is who he dives with and rates them.

8. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Got a long email to my enquiry by return with lots of information and sensible questions. They've confirmed that, weather willing, the SD course and depth progression should be fine. They are reasonably close to the Zenobia, so should get a dive or two there. Also, will lend me a BP and wing, so good experience to decide whether that's the way to go. Looking forward to it.

9. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Enjoy the trip John. I'm not back out uintil 2nd May - not that I'm counting.

10. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Met Peter at Scuba Tech today. As agreed, he is sorting out BPW for me, then mentioned that:
    - my fins were too light for a dry suit, we'd start with them and then try another pair if necessary
    - that I should not clip a snorkel to my mask
    - that dry suits were only to keep you dry and warm, buoyancy is through a bcd/wing
    - that we would be diving GUE long hose and necklace for the second regulator
    - no disposable weights
    This all seems positive to me as long as we take it gently - I wonder what else he has up his sleeve. :whistling:

Big Joe likes this.
  11. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Sounds all good , no harm trying. Enjoy

12. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

Have a great time, I use heavy fins on my drysuit as I get air in my boots and they just balance it nicely. My buddy has a new suit boots fit tight and now needs to swap his heavy fins for lighter ones. So try new fins but keep an open mind. As for drysuit for buoyancy it's so much easier.

13. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

60 minute bimble today, max depth 9m - longest dive ever. Six months since I dived in a dry suit, new to bpw, long hose/necklace and fins and it went pretty well. Peter the instructor is very impressive but bloody annoying when he spins effortlessly through 180 degrees and back fins in front of you. I'm hoping to start learning a little of this skill set. He also gives me continuous grief about neoprene dry suits - he hates them all, even the crushed variety.:facepalm:

14. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

@JohnL - with a bit of practice you'll be doing that!

JohnL likes this.