1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Went diving - yay!

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Wibble, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

I’m using the new AP one , mouthpiece like drager but more of a mask strap. Poss mask under my hood might be worth a try. I’m more inclined to keep the gag strap than bov.

2. splinter

splinter Active Member

I might stick with the normal mouthpiece for the time being after reading all your comments. The OCB is not a particularly nice breathe on OC anyway.

My main reason for using it was a CO2 hit, but as I'm new to this I'm being particularly meticulous packing the scrubber and sticking to the recommended duration.

I also have the new AP gag strap. It seems to work well, however after a bit of a clusterfuck with a bail out drill on my course which resulted in no mask, no mouthpiece and no OC reg in, I decided one thing at a time and took it off! I will go back to using it at some point soon though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Vanny likes this.
  3. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The OC habits do go away and minimum weight helps too. Some people switch off the ADV (using flowstop) to avoid that big breath habit although that can introduce 'moments' when the loop volume is low and the MAV is evading you.

I find it helpful to add just enough gas to the suit to reduce squeeze and, when I arrive at depth, add gas to the wing to compensate for weight of bailouts. Obviously, for the ascent, a little thought is needed to ensure all gas spaces are emptied and I add a very shallow stops to at the end, partly to avoid being late or early :D.

On Sunday for Salsette and I'd said (maximum) runtime of 90 minutes and cleared at about 88 minutes so I moved to 3m to await the 90 minutes and then surfaced a few seconds later. It is a silly game but does have the advantage of forcing control throughout the ascent.

I've been using the old AP gag strap. It is simple enough and takes the weight of the AP OCB.

I planned to remove the OCB but found my old RB02 wasn't serviceable and at £172.32 for a replacement I decided to stick with the OCB!

splinter likes this.
  4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Why do you disable the ADV? Is it unreliable?

Isn’t the ADV there for a reason?

5. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't (apart from on courses) but some do, to preserve diluent.

ADV is reliable and somewhat necessary for descent. Once at depth there is usually no need to add gas to the loop and some use the flowstop to close off the ADV to avoid the big breath behaviour (OC sinking response) wasting diluent.

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Doesn't adding gas to the wing use the same diluent?

My five minutes experience of diving on a box means I'm happier diving on minimum loop. The ADV is a good way of validating minimum loop if I've changed levels during the dive and is hands free.

7. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

I’m a fan of ADV closed once I’m down and settled. No additional Dil should be needed , given a constant depth. It helps eliminate bad habits that waste Dil , eg big breath in , can help identify any leaks - loop volume dropping. Also if your head / shoulder down (AP adv on left shoulder T piece) it can fire unnecessarily when it’s at the lower point.

horses for courses but another tool in the box. Equally on busy dives , such as training , I can leave it open.

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Is it an AP thing or is it the same for, say, a JJ too?

9. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Principal is the same , dunno about placement.