1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Went diving - yay!

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Wibble, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Great news!

Buoyancy does come back but takes a while as you re-learn.

The last few dives I've done I've let the SMB reel bounce up and down in front of me; it's easier to just hold the stop without holding on to the reel and being tugged around. This time last year it was all doom and gloom as you know the skill you've lost from the move from OC to CC but you (rather I) cannot get the subtleties. Seems there's another fin kick to use that will push you up or down a little.

Diving: had a lovely dive on the Caleb Sprague today out of Eastbourne. Around 40m and didn't need a torch unless looking in a hole. Utterly surrounded by fish.

Had fun on the Blacktip scooter -- at the end of the dive I tried to 'motor' over to the other nearby wreck of the Emerald. Didn't find it though; thought I'd run about 200m from the Caleb, my cave reel's only 120m, so not quite enough to do the jump or do a 'scan' (and I'd not deployed it).

Warm water (17 degrees), great vis >10m, loads of life on an interesting wreck. What's not to like.

jps likes this.
  2. barrygoss

barrygoss Active Member

Did the skipper know beforehand?

B

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

That I'm not attached to the bag? Isn't it normal to let the thing bob up and down whilst you hover closeby?

Or that I was alone as usual, enjoying the hour of peace, serenity and Zen-like contemplation that is decompression? (Actually one of my favourite parts of diving especially in the warmer months)

jps likes this.
  4. barrygoss

barrygoss Active Member

That you’re a single bag. Most technical boats want a bag a head or trapeze. Me, I stick the iriver on and tunes

B

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It's always one bag per diver. Rarely there does one need to come up the shot -- only time in that area was when it was a bit foggy. Very common out of Dover though.

Sometimes need to stagger the jumps to get everyone to come up together in a field of blobs.

Have yet to use a trapeze. Was getting all excited with the prospect of Malin only to have it dashed on the rocks of covid. Was even practising returning to the shot with a strobe prior to bagging off.

Have a Parlenz screenshot with the fish obscuring the wreck and a diver in the distance -- all with natural light!
    Caleb Sprague fish and vis.jpg

jps likes this.
  6. barrygoss

barrygoss Active Member

Lol.
    Divers are twat. I’ve been bawled out by a skipper whilst returning on a one bag per diver, but surfacing through a group of three, two had bags up. A single on a paired boat didn’t, skipper shouting in my face as I sat down, right until I showed him the dsmb in my hand, with the solas sticker on it.
    B

jps likes this.
  7. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Well got some diving done during August. Holidaying near Portland helped ! We decided to re tube our club rib , a few of us have lent some money , done work on the trailer and taken up to Southampton and back for the work. Pleased with the result and we used the boat plenty over the 3 weeks we were there , albeit the pesky wind kept us pretty much sheltering in or around Portland harbour. Hopefully we can get out to more exciting stuff soon.

had booked 3 days on skindeep, 1 blown out , 1 good day diving the Moidart in so so vis and another day doing the M2 in better conditions. My son completed his accelerated deco course on these dives in prep for scapa in October so time well spent.

unfortunately my Inspo threw its toys out the evening before our first charter dive. I dived lulworth banks and it gave me an unexpected low battery. That evening prepping for the moidart it wouldn’t see the new batteries as have much voltage. After many battery changes I gave it up. Cobbled together my backplate onto the wife’s twin 7’s made up a deco cylinder of 100% from the Ccr cylinder I couldn’t use and went bubble blowing. Can’t say I enjoyed it much all a bit last minute but dudnt want to let my son down.

got blown out a couple of days later so took the time to drive to AP. Dropped of my broken head and thankfully they kindly lent me a spare so I could get back to being quiet.

outcome is a chip on the circuit board has packed up so a repair is being done. Somehow the wife has agreed to a 2020 up grade and rechargeable battery box, better find some overtime !

Back in Portland early September for a couple of 60 metre dives , then going to pembrokeshire for a club weekend, then scapa in October. Blimey I feel like a diver !

Dave Whitlow, JohnL and splinter like this.
  8. splinter

splinter Active Member

For lack of a better option I was in Stoney Cove today. Visibility at 6m is bad even by stoneys low standards but it wasnt too bad at 18-20m. The 70 minute first dive was quite satisfying to get to the end and while I still had quite a bit of NDL left, my OC buddy had racked up a few minutes deco.

Second dive was going to be a bounce to the hydro box before coming up to 20m, but by the time we reached 30m vis was down to about 2". I decided that with my lack of experience on CCR, turning the dive then was a good idea. My buddy agreed, so we headed shallow again.

Pleased to say I'm getting more comfortable on the unit every dive. Little tweaks here and there with weight distribution needed and lots more practice still, but today had more good moments than bad ones.

Unfortunately there were a couple of guys there with g boxes, who I had a good chat with and which they let me have good look at. I think that might have been an expensive conversation for me!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Dave Whitlow and Wibble like this.
  9. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

I use a Gbox , they are nice but the standard box also works well. Add a Kent tooling backplate to the shopping list :whistling:

To be honest I’d do a bunch of hours first then see what you fancy.

splinter likes this.
  10. splinter

splinter Active Member

I've already got a Kent tooling backplate. I was lucky enough to get a used one for a good price. The standard harness that came with it was far too small for me, the previous owner was a very petite lady.

Dave Whitlow and Vanny like this.
  11. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

AP are pretty good with the loan lids. I had an early 2020 which became ill and the replacement went the same way quite quickly. Thankfully, not a dive was lost as the fail came at the end of series of dives and they had the loan lid with me by the Wednesday. I kept the loan lid for months, until they showed me that the changes they were making were not just replacements of the same. I even got a long and informative email from Martin, explaining their options. Since the final replacement the handset is been just another bit of neglected dive kit that works. I've avoided the rechargeable battery option as I like to have spares I can fit on the boat. I've seen handsets that woke up in the cabin and drained the battery overnight so the owner had a disappointing non-dive the next day.
    Yeah, I'm guessing that's on the neaps. There's a space and somehow I just didn't fancy the long trip out. Feeling a bit less like a diver at the moment...

12. splinter

splinter Active Member

Two cracking dives from Eyemouth today, the Glanmire and Black Carr.

Starting to get to grips with diving the box, which probably means it'll bite me on the arse next time I'm out!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Dave Whitlow, Wibble and Vanny like this.
  13. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

Nah, box will do what it'll do and will probably be flawless for years, possibly indefinitely. Just keep watch on it and be ready to react. It's definitely a better way to dive.

Have you lost the 'check the gauge' habit yet?

14. splinter

splinter Active Member

By "it biting me on the arse" I probably should have said "I'll find a way to cock it up". The unit has behaved itself so far, apart from the OCB. I've had 2 O rings go on that and I've only done 6 dives with it since it was serviced by AP.

I'm still checking gauges a bit, but being new to this my dill use is still quite high and the 2l cylinders don't help. Getting better with every dive. I am starting to get out of the habit of taking a big breath if I start to sink though.

Definitely a better way to dive. I'm glad I made the change.

15. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

I’ve tried the OCB this year but at the mo it’s off the unit , between that and the gag strap my mask leaks something horrid which on a recent dive rinsed my Dil and was the deciding factor in taking it off. Over winter / week in scapa I might play with both / either and see if I can get it to work for me but at the mo it’s bringing more disadvantages than benefits , my view is from 7 years OCB free.

Expect you might have picked this up already but for me closing the ADV once I’m on bottom and comfy is better for managing Dil / loop volume.

unit is reliable , keep on top of skills and resolutions and enjoy.

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

17. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

18. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

19. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Open circuit bailout

20. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

What gag strap are you using?

I use the Drager and wear my mask under my hood so that the straps don’t interfere with each other. I’ve no idea how that horrible AP gag strap is used but the Drager strap sits on the crown of ones head and the mouthpiece has never caused any mask issues.

It took me years to come around to using one and it was only being talked through it by the venerable Dr. Mitchell that made me take the leap. I’d hate to be without one now.

As for a BOV - meh. I ditched mine when I replaced my JJ 6 years ago and would never go back to using one.