1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Went diving - yay!

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Wibble, Mar 30, 2021.

1. snowman

snowman Active Member

No, I couldn't make that weekend either.

M

2. splinter

splinter Active Member

Blown out in eyemouth this weekend. Capernwray again.

Fingers crossed for St Abbs next weekend.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wibble likes this.
  3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

(liking it only as in sympathy and pleased that you're trying to go out!)

Almost certain this weekend's off in the south east. Certainly Saturday's looking grim; Sunday's not a lot better. Currently this season's running total is 7 cancelled and 8 that went ahead.

4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It is windy down here in Portland so nobody is diving. Not fussed as I managed to get a few CCR dives in over the last week.

On Saturday the box of joy got the first wetting of the year in Portland harbour. Apart from a leaky hose that drained most of the diluent (elsewhere an end of dive failure), everything went to plan so I booked a couple more spaces.

On Thursday we had 4m viz on the M2, and then 5m gathering scallops over the DG Range north of Grove Point. First scallops of the year and a useful pair of checkout dives.

On Friday, after the 4m on the M2, and still feeling cautious, I left the scooter at home. Silly me! When we had 8-10m viz on the Salsette I was cursing the lack of the mobility scooter, and attached GoPro. After 40 minutes I ended up at the bow and decided that was a useful indication it was time to head home so I surfaced after only 78 minutes. Maybe less than the usual runtime but a good dive and now I feel like a CCR diver again! Maybe now the scooter and deco-tunes need wetting!

Vanny, nickb and splinter like this.
  5. splinter

splinter Active Member

Next weekend (St Abbs) is looking sketchy now. The boat blew its water pump up but they managed to find us spaces on another boat but the weather has been rubbish all weekend and is forecast to continue all week.

On the plus side my CCR is due back from AP soon depending on when they get any cells back in stock and I can start looking at dates to do MOD 1.

6. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Another weekend in Stoney. Amazingly the has improved massively. Was almost pleasantly cold. Some big pike in there. Course went well gave me plenty of practice so I’m deffo ready to hit the sea in a couple of weeks time.

splinter likes this.
  7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Yesterday's dive on the Wellpark out of Eastbourne was brilliant. Calmish seas, sunshine, interesting clouds, warmer. Were out a bit further than normal and was really pleasantly surprised to see some visibility; the best this year at 5m to 8m.

Wreck was interesting. Largely intact so had great fun scootering around it. Very pleased that the scooter is neutral in the water so gets out of the way when clipped off.

Loads of life, flora and fauna and some daylight on the wreck for a change. Nice hour of deco to while away the time watching the reel bounce up and down in front of me.

In short, a lovely day's diving. Most definitely unexpected following Saturday's storm!

Also the Blacktip scooter was completely dry inside. So simple: open the cap with the scooter on its side and the water in the seals doesn't drop inside!

Vanny likes this.
  8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Another weekend's diving binned. :(

Now sitting at 11 days cancelled, 9 days diving since April.

Think it'll have to be slumming it in a ghastly puddle. Have skills & drills to finesse.

9. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

Another two days diving and again the weekend is binned. Glad I didn't book anything :D

Yesterday we'd planned something further out but a brisk north-easterly said that was bad so we reverted to SS Ethel. It was still a bit rough so the scooter stayed on the boat but we were rewarded with 6-8m viz and the photographer managed some good pictures. It was the sort of day when people and kit circled the incident pit and one guy took a fall and a bucket never came home. The casualty elected to bin the next day and two went home leaving only five for Friday :)

Today the wind had gone and and the swell mostly died off so the Blacktip and decotunes went to the Gripfast. Excellent day out and with plenty of space on the boat, similar viz to yesterday and lots of sunshine streaming down. A very happy photographer is looking forward to reviewing his images in more details.

The detail of carrying two stages, Blacktip, and decotunes needs work, as I opted to leave some monster crabs on the seabed to avoid extra baggage for the ascent!

splinter, Vanny, nickb and 1 other person like this.
  10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Sounds great Dave. The weather's been so nice this week and as the weekend approaches...

Assume that's a pair of Ali80s? Had a pair of ali7's last weekend with the blacktip and was really pleasantly surprised at how well the Blacktip behaved at deco. Literally didn't feel it at all (and even checked it was still there at least once!).

I'm bungeeing back the stages, sidemount style. One of the things I really need to do is make sure that this isn't going to be an issue when bailing out. Obviously the deco stage (on the RHS) can be out of the way at all times as it's easy enough to release the bungee when it's needed. For the bailout cylinder on the LHS, it's really important to be able to get to it immediately. Need to be spending more time to practice this as well as using ali80s.

Keep looking out for some decotunes...! Rare as rocking horse droppings.

JohnL likes this.
  11. splinter

splinter Active Member

Foiled again by the weather. After a 4.15am start to get to st abbs, I got as far as newcastle before I got a call from the skipper to say the swell had picked up overnight and the day was binned.

Drove to seahouses to see if anything was going out but I just missed them. I can even see one of the boats out near the farne islands!

Having a nice walk on the beach before heading back home.

Wibble likes this.
  12. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Bugger !

splinter likes this.
  13. snowman

snowman Active Member

Managed to get one of the two days we had booked in Swanage for last weekend done.

It was easy diving (Valentine Tanks and a drift over the Peverill Ledges - Like a night dive in pea soup, that one, although the tanks were nice), but it was my first hard boat diving of the year.

Sunday reverted to hurricane (well nearly) force winds and was canned.

Still, as a result of losing a day last weekend, I could afford to go this coming weekend instead, so off to Weymouth after all and the forecast is looking half decent!

Hope I haven't jinxed it now! :(

M

NickPicks likes this.
  14. snowman

snowman Active Member

God awful vis at the weekend on the West side of Portland Bill.

Looks like the bloom is in for a while :(

M

15. splinter

splinter Active Member

Glorious morning to be off up to the farnes for a couple of dives today. Fingers crossed it actually happens, I've been disappointed for the last 4 weekends in a row.

16. splinter

splinter Active Member

After 4 weeks of missed dives due to weather or buddies letting me down, I finally got back in the sea for the first time in over 2 years. 2 really nice dives at the Farnes in perfect conditions. 10m vis in places, the seals were out but keeping their distance.

JohnL, Dave Whitlow and Vanny like this.
  17. snowman

snowman Active Member

Well, after a dismal weekend a couple ago, we were out on our club RHIB at Portland last Sunday and had two great dives on the British Inventor and the James Fennel.

Vis about 5-6 metres on both sites and nearly all the 'snot' has gone.

Supposed to be diving at Plymouth this weekend, so feeling quite positive about it, unless the forecast storms ruins all the vis...

M

JohnL likes this.
  18. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Waiting for pizza following 3 days with skindeep on some bit deeper wrecks. Been amazing weather , pretty good vis and great dives , HMS delight , salsette and the Avalanche. Always leaves me wanting more.

19. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

That's a lot of pizza

JohnL and Vanny like this.
  20. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

21. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

Nice selection of dives. Did you take anything home from the Avalanche? It's infested with crustaceans and it is our duty to adopts them!

I missed you by a day as I was on Skin Deeper on Wednesday, for the Broomhill.

Curious week for me ....

Tuesday I did Chesil Cove twice with single tank and wore a wetsuit! It was so bloody hot I couldn't bear the thought of walking up those pebbles in a drysuit so I risked it and after 68 minutes I wasn't even cold. Then, after lunch, I returned for a second helping! That was due to an unfortunate commitment I made to accompany a friend for her first Chesil dive of the year.

Wednesday 50m CCR dive on Broomhill and Thursday a 20m drift on CCR with the drive club.

Forecasts has now taken a turn so not sure when I'll next be diving although I'm booked for HMS Boadicea in a couple of week and aim to continue the weekly dive club outings.

it's good to have the first bloom behind us so all the energy harvested by the plankton is working its way up the food chain to fill our plates :cool:

Vanny likes this.
  22. snowman

snowman Active Member

Our annual (last year excepted, of course!) pilgrimage to Plymouth was a cracker last weekend.

First day we did the Rosehill and Scylla - 10-12M on the Rosehill with loads of light - A bit snotty on the Scylla, but still a highly enjoyable second dive with some fun penetration (And, God knows, I don't get much of that, these days! :woot:).

Second day we made the long trek out to the Maine under overcast skies, but thankfully little wind, and then waited an hour for the current to stop, but was it worth it! As we waiting the clouds broke and the sun came out, just as we shuffled over to the lift to start the dive.

This ensured we had a bright, 10-15M on the 34M deep wreck, loads of life and most of us had never been on it before, so we were blown away by the scale and completeness of the wreck - My buddy and I clocked up a 45 minute dive on it, only coming up then as we had a second dive to do on our twin 12s - Honestly, I could have stayed another 15 minutes and foregone the dive at Hillsea Point Rock, although that was a highly enjoyable reef dive and the perfect end to a weekend mostly made of wrecks!

The sun shone most of the time, I had a lovely comfy room at the Barbican Reach Guest House with Rob and Sue and a couple of very enjoyable evenings eating and drinking with other grown ups - something else I rarely seem to do anymore!

M

JohnL and splinter like this.
  23. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

Looks like the weather is playing nice again but might play on the club RIB this weekend :eek:

24. splinter

splinter Active Member

It's looking like a promising summer diving wise. Ive been out on the club hard boat for the last two weekends and had a couple of nice dives. Yesterday was the Bur which was a lovely dive and the Madame Renee the weekend before. We're even getting some practice in with boat handling as the big problem apart from the weather is a lack of diver cox's. Out again next weekend from Scarborough.

The weekend after is a camping and diving weekend in Redcar. We're trying to sort some rhib diving from Bridlington soon.

August, I've finally got dates for the MOD1 dives. I've done all the theory online with the instructor and had a dry session building and stripping the unit.

After that I've got september to practice, then I'll be taking it up for the annual club trip to Oban and another in Porthkerris in October.

The only downer is this deco ban. 20 minutes bottom time on yesterday's 31m wreck. Could have happily stayed for an hour. Fingers crossed for my medical next year.

25. splinter

splinter Active Member

Today's planned dive was cancelled, so instead a few of us dive leader candidates got together to do our practical rescue management, which was pretty good fun, followed by taking the boat out at Scarborough for a shallow evening dive.

It's the first time in about five years I've used a single 12l cylinder and it was so nice! It seemed so easy, hardly noticed the weight waiting on the boat and it was so simple to move around underwater. The dive was just 6m deep over thick kelp and ferreting in rocky gullies. Loads of life on the bottom, great vis (for Scarborough) and dolphins once the boat picked us up.

Shore diving in Redcar next weekend. I think I'll take the single 12l again.

NickPicks and Dave Whitlow like this.
  26. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

Single tank is such a refreshing change after diving encumbered by a heap of kit on the back and a couple of stages.

My next shore dive will be a wetsuit and single 12 and I'll still get an hour on the bottom.

27. splinter

splinter Active Member

Wetsuit, theres an idea. I think I've lost enough weight that mine might fit me again!

28. snowman

snowman Active Member

We took our club RHIB out on Saturday, to dive the Benny near Portland.

It was a bit overcast, but we all (just 4 of us) had a great dive on the wreck, finding large parts of it we'd not seen before.

It was also teeming with life, Congers, Blennies, Lobsters, the biggest Spiny Lobster I've ever seen and all sorts of fish shoaling around it.

All in all a great near 40 minute dive.

Over lunch and airfills in Castletown (A lovely crusty bacon roll at the Aqua) the sun came out and we had a swift (cox reckoned it was 2 kts) drift down the Bill past Grove Point.

Vis on that was a bit murky, but it was a fun dive - It'd been ages since I'd done such a fast drift!

M

NickPicks, splinter and Dave Whitlow like this.
  29. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

I believe I saw you. I was the swimmer in the wetsuit with the orange hat and red tow float who set off a while after 12 and returned 40 minutes later!!

Grove Point runs pretty fast (close to 4kts at some times). HW was around 8pm so, at about 6 hours before HW, it will have been close to full flow when you dived it. I presume you have the tidal streams maps for Portland?

30. snowman

snowman Active Member

Ah, indeed I did see you, Dave! Say hello next time - I was the one in the bright yellow dry suit! :)

Yes, we expected it to be pretty quick, so we were ready for it.

It had almost abated, though, be the time the other pair went in.

M

31. Dave Whitlow

Staff Member

Yep, the yellow suit is quite distinctive and reminded me of my now faded (and now slightly leaky) orange suit. Definitely will say hello if I see you again.

snowman likes this.
  32. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Been away for a while. Lots of diving.

Kinlochbervie: great place. Really lovely around there. Recommend the diving on Keltic Lady -- I believe they've now switched to another boat. Superb wildlife all around, finally saw some puffins. Diving was good too, but no wrecks to play on. Had lots of fun on the Blacktip.

Completed MOD2. Plenty more to learn and do. Now just under 100 hours on the Revo. The MOD2 skills are great for those self-sufficient deeper dives. Perennial challenge with being able to carry sufficient bailout.

Lots more Channel diving. Enjoying the deeper wrecks. Blacktip's great.

Managed to break the Blacktip handle. Stupid user error: was impatient to jump off so queued up as number 3 on the exit. During the shuffle caught the handle as I jumped, gravity won.

Big shoutout to DeepIdeas who sent me a replacement handle, bracket and spring (taken from one of theirs!). Repaired and running well.

Malin trip was cancelled due to the Irish government changing the covid rules to require Brits to quarantine. The wrecks will still be there next year.

And UKD... Serious problems trying to fix it. Still a load more work to do.

Dave Whitlow and splinter like this.
  33. NickPicks

NickPicks Super Moderator

Kinlochbervie sounds great - I'm going there for a week in September.

Off to Weymouth diving this weekend.

34. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The big discovery at Kinlochbervie — there’s no pubs! The Old Schoolhouse is OK

I bunked off one afternoon to visit Handa Island, a bird sanctuary which I thoroughly enjoyed and recommend. Get there by 12 or earlier, you need 4 hours at least.

It’s a long way to anywhere from Kinlochbervie! It’s on the NC500 road. Beautiful.

NickPicks likes this.
  35. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

No pubs , sorry I don’t understand ? This is a diving type place , yes ?

36. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Strange but true. It’s so far from anywhere, there’s literally only the 'hotel' with that wicker statue behind it.

37. snowman

snowman Active Member

Don't be lured up there by the locals! :eek:

M

38. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Was looking for some nice photos. Need something calming for today...

Footprints 1024.jpg

And some puffins... (taken by phone and a bit over-zoomed)
    Puffins.jpg

Chimpus and Vanny like this.
  39. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

For clarity; the beach is just outside of Kinlochbervie close to the dive lodge, two or three hundred metres from where we were staying (not at the dive lodge). t is a beautiful location which I'd very much like to go back to. Note to self; good for a couple of days diving; plenty of other natural things to do if you're not diving.

Hopefully there'll be more sea life for those diving in September. End May there's very little fauna, but lots of fry. Only lobster/crab I saw was in a lobster pot. Was very nice to dive amongst the kelp and in the nooks & crannies.

If you're diving on CCR, bring your own HP oxygen as there isn't any. Depths were 10m to 30m (mostly shallower -- was dicking around on the scooter).

One more grainy zoomed in photo; Cape Wrath lighthouse from the dive boat. That really is the back of beyond, currently only accessible by Shank's Pony.
    Cape Wrath lighthouse.jpg

Chimpus, JohnL and splinter like this.
  40. snowman

snowman Active Member

Took our RHIB out again yesterday and dived the Elena R, which was a first for most of us (one in the party had dived it once before).

It took a while to find, as we had 3 marks, none of which revealed much on the sonar, but in the end we spotted something so dropped the shot.

It took about 30 minutes from expected slack for the current to drop (we may have got away with going in a few minutes earlier in fact as the current was totally gone when we did) and we found ourselves on some wreckage standing 3 or 4 metres off the seabed, which was around 32M.

We swam in and around this a few times, spotting lots of life, Congers, Lobsters, big crabs, Wrasse, Pollock, Blennies and even what looked like a Butterfish. but after a while I figured there must be more than this and swam off in a random direction.

Luckily, after little but a few scattered bits of wreckage, more high standing wreckage appeared and, passing the remains of a dead dolphin, we came across a much larger and higher standing section of wreckage.

On swim up and over what looked like the hull side or maybe just a bulkhead I was greeted by a huge boiler. We'd been down a while and had a bit of deco incurred by this point and as my buddy deployed her DSMB, I spotted a second boiler.

As we started to rise up we could see even more wreckage extending away from the boilers on the 'other' side of the ship.

Definitely, one we'll come back to!

The second dive was another swift 'drift' down Portland Bill past Grove Point - Exciting and, again, plenty of life around, but little time to do more than spot it and fly by!

M

41. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

We’ve just re tubed our rib and bought a new gps. I think we’ll go look for the elanor as well. Sounds good.

snowman likes this.
  42. splinter

splinter Active Member

Up at the Farnes again today. It was supposed to be 4 dives, starting with the ss somali. I've tried several times to dive this wreck and been blown out every time. Today was no exception. We managed 2 scenic dives over at the islands, which were really good. 15m vis at the start of the first dive. Several seals, lobster and a couple of octopus, which is a first for me in the UK.

Almost was a non starter as my twin set leaked on the way up. 220bar in when I set it up yesterday and put it in the car. 40 bar when I got to seahouses. I was sure it was fully turned off, but must have not quite done it properly.

Luckily someone had a spare cylinder which I managed to decant out of to get 100 bar for the first dive and borrowed an ali40 stage for the second to go with the 60 bar left in the twins. Good job they were only 15m dives.

It's been a good day, although I'm knackered from setting off at 4am to get there in time for ropes off.

The kit can wait until tomorrow for a rinse!

43. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

What valves are on your twinset? I find the Apeks valves need really tightening lest they leak.

For some reason I bought into the "Apeks are great valves" myth when I replaced 5 of my stage valves with modular valves; not only are they more expensive, but I'm not overly happy with them either.