1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Went diving - yay!

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Wibble, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The 29th March finally arrived. I experienced a completely new emotion; wanting and looking forwards to go diving in Wraysbury!

Arrived at 09:02 (they're famous for shooing off anyone daring to turn up before 09:00). There was probably 40 cars in the queue. Wow!

In the car park it was rammed; had to turn right at the entrance, not left to first class. So full of happy smiling divers. The staff were all happy and welcoming.

And the sun was shining! I even regretted packing a pair of shorts (didn't even cross my mind!)

Anyway, a couple of dives on the box, the first in 5 months. Box worked well, but now wearing full winter kit so a little more weight required (of course). Had a bit of a Kubi moment with O-rings being perished and falling off.

Ready for the forthcoming dive-my-ass-off marathon. 30-odd days of diving booked for the next two months.

Yay \o/

furryman, NickPicks, Doomanic and 2 others like this.
  2. splinter

splinter Active Member

I'm heading to Capernwray on saturday. Can't believe how much I'm looking forward to diving in a quarry!

Diving seems to be starting at the Farnes again so I'm going to be looking for a few trips up that way very soon.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wibble likes this.
  3. snowman

snowman Active Member

I was at Wraysbury too!

I must have been there about 8:58 as the gate was opened and I went left (they obviously know 1st class when they see it! ;))

Vis was OK on the first dive, but pretty dire to the end away from the buildings on the second - Was nice to be back in the water though!

M.

Wibble likes this.
  4. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

In Stoney Saturday. Disappointed to read crap viz reports for the shallows hey ho it’ll get us started.

5. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Super Moderator
    Staff Member

OSTC is now showing 99 days (plus a few hours) since my last dive....so I went for a swim at Chesil today. With equinox tides (much of Portland Harbour was empty yesterday) the viz is shit so not sensible to attempt diving in the sea.

The silly tides will soon diminish so my dive kit needs to be working for Saturday when I head out on Scimitar (weather permitting)!

6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Bloody hell, it's started again. Message from the skipper today (Thurs) regarding Easter Weekend diving...
    • Fri off
    • Sat not looking good
    • Sun looking very good
    • Mon looking really crap

7. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Easter diving is always shite

Wibble likes this.
  8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I was really, and I mean *really* looking forwards to 6 days of diving so I can feel like I'm not trapped in this fscking home office listening to yet more poxy business blather over zoom/teams.

Feeling like I canne take much more of this cap'n (apologies for the crap Scottie accent)

Maybe @Dave Whitlow might get his dive in on the lee of Portland. If you do, please post some info on it as we need to live our lives vicariously through other's good fortune.

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Thus far have managed 1 out of the first 4 sea dives booked! Had a 30ish metre dive in mediocre conditions (dark, lots of particulate, 1 to 2 metres vis) on a wreck.

Being positive, all went well. Weighting's fine with the winter garb in the sea requiring 2kg extra. Makes a hell of a difference with suppleness; hard to reach around with the thicker undersuit and thick Kubi gloves, but was warm. Sea temp 8 degrees.

10. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

If it helps Stoney was a positive day but crap in the water.

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Glad you got in. Was the vis poor?

Waiting with bated breath about tomorrow's diving... Glad I went caving yesterday

#11 Wibble, Apr 6, 2021 at 5:41 PM
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 5:52 PM
  12. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Vis was crap , worse on the shelf bit better at 20.

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Had 8 days of diving booked this week - Good Friday through the week. Managed two out of the 8 dives as 6 were blown out.

It's great to be in the sea again. Really nice to meet some humans in the flesh. Nice to get on a dive boat.

Alas, the diving's not so good at the moment. Pretty poor visibility, between 30cm to 2m with lots of particulate, making it not overly exciting.

At least it's time in the water with the thick winter gear and a day out with some people on a boat at sea.

splinter and NickPicks like this.
  14. JimmE

JimmE New Member

That’s frustrating! Our club managed to get out all across Easter but I wasn’t able to join due to meeting up (outside) with family not seen since October.

Just managed to get my first dive of the year in, last night, at Devils Point. Primary computer battery died on the boat (tested fine at home earlier in the day!), pulled a muscle in my shoulder whilst sliding into my harness, lost a fin as I went in (found shortly after, thankfully!) and both gloves leaked. But, was a great dive! The vis was pretty good (for DP) at around 5-6m, we even got a 15-min slack window (pretty rare there - tide tends to just turn on itself) and we had a fantastic 45 minute dive and met up with the ‘deep’ team (not on their first dives of the year!) on their stops in the shallows at the end.

All being well hoping to be back in on Sunday afternoon.

Wibble likes this.
  15. Vanny

Vanny Well-Known Member

Had a dive at st Andrews lake today , starting a mod1 ccr course. Didn’t get past the 3mtr platform but generally impressed with the facility , parking and friendliness. Will go back for a better look round.