1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warm water fins

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Cybes, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

Warm water fins - sounds daft but...

All my diving to date has been in a drysuit plus all appropriate kit.

Hollis F1 Fins. Lovely.

I'm now setting up a warm water rig, shortie plus Ali BP etc. For use in the shallows when I'm abroad.

My question is - do I need light weight fins, will my F1's sink my feet?

2. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Dunno what they'll do for you, but I can stay in trim using F1s in the Red Sea wearing a 5mm shortie.

3. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

I have F2s for travel. They are short and very light. Apparently the new Apeks fins are quite light also but not felt them myself.

4. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I use a pair of Mares Volos, with a basic rubber strap.
    Nice and light, really flexible and great for both diving and snorkelling.

5. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Cressi Frog lites in my travel bag as they are stiff enough for frog kicks

6. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Apeks are lighter than F1s and Jets but not as light as F2s. - I'm an F1 regardless person like Dom.

I have a pair of Mares Volo Power that are kicking around, I hated them, they are the hinged type of fin rather rigid and restricts the type of kicks you can do. If you wanted my pair you can have them - regulars I think. They are a bit beat up as I bought them second hand to begin with, I'd just have to find the straps for them. x

7. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have the F1s & they're fine in a semi-dry, even a 3mm long, but I found that in a shortie my feet were heavy so I went for the F2s for travelling. They also help the baggage allowance. The F2s are great find but you will notice a loss in power over the F1s

8. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

F2s main downside is a distinct lack of power. Ok for singles bimbling but cack in any current.

9. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

My only concern is weight and what that does to my trim. I'll be wearing boots because the sand is hot and the stones a nuisance so my F1's are still an option. They just seem a bit unnecessary for bimbling.
    End of the day I like them too much not to use them. I'm sure I can move what little weight I need up into the trim weight pockets on the harness.

10. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

Quattros - use them everywhere,

Zubar likes this.
  11. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

I used to have a pair of Beaver Assaults for use with my drysuit. Dense, like the F1s I now use. Tried them once in the Red Sea with 3mm full suit and ali backplate. Horrible heavy feet- couldn't get trimmed out despite moving lead all over me!.
    The next year I took a pair of Typhoon Hurricanes. Much more comfortable. Used them for a few years until the plastic got soft and they started bending on every stroke (they are still in the garage).
    I have been looking for a pair of OMS Slipstreams, but no luck so far, so I have resurrected a pair of (yellow) Force Fins I bought off Ebay a few years ago, and lo and behold I rather like them!

I guess the moral of the story is try things out (borrow stuff for a few pool sessions?), and what works for you will be the best decision!

12. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

Now I do like the look of the Quattro's and they seem more in keeping with the warm water light weight use which I'm kitting up for. Never tried them before though

13. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Quattros - choice of dive guides throughout the world a few years ago!
    Must be a reason for it.

14. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

My Quattros were my fave all round fin. I've had cressi frogs, turtle fins. Etc. the Quattros with some aftermarket spring straps were mid weight stiff fins that gave power in all fin strokes.
    I just changed to f1s as they were that but better for dry suit twins diving, which is where I dive most. Only sold them as I can't have too many fins around. The wife would not approve.

furryman likes this.
  15. Fishboy

Fishboy Member

I use mares equivalent of F1 with my Drysuits but like Furryman, terrible for trim in Red Sea. I now use scubapro jet sports with a bungee strap abroad. Dead light but with enough power when needed in a current and very happy with them. Conversely they are pants with a Drysuits. So in all, very sensible question

16. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

Called into Divelife today. Ordered a pair of Waterproof Boots. Happy with the Quattro's then out came a pair of Apeks RK3's. Lighter than the F1's but still nice and firm.
    I think either would be good but the Quattro's definitely have more flex than the F1's & the RK3's.
    Now leaving towards the RK3's because they're similar to what I'm used to.
    Anybody used these before?

17. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Yep myself and Dom have, we didn't like them because they aren't stiff enough x

18. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

They won't be replacing my F1's, only acting as a shallow, warm water alternative. I also need something to practise my lopsided frog kick in the pool. I don't want to be fully kitted up in a warm pool and think the F1's excessive for this.
    I went in for a pair of Quattro's then tried on the RK3's.

19. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

One of the problems I had with them is closing out the kick, and Dom confirmed the phenomenon watching me. To close out the kick you bring the blades together, this is what creates the jet for propulsion. With the RK3 because the blades aren't rigid enough they spill water out of the top when I tried to close out the kick. This is not to say the kick doesn't work, but the spill out of the top is compromising the propulsion you should be getting with the jet squeezing between the blades. I kind of wonder if they aren't the ideal fin to hone your technique in that respect :confused: x

20. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

Fair comment but if the RK3's aren't rigid enough then the Quattro's won't be.
    Which brings me back to the F1's, their weight and it's effect on my trim...