1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted slob knob

Discussion in 'Personal Ads' started by Liam, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Liam

Liam New Member

hi after slob knob brought manifold on Monday on ebay so waiting for to come.
    There different one from custom divers
    Could help find one

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Aren't they manifold-specific?

3. nickb

nickb Active Member

Most valves have stems with a standard cross-section and hence take a standard knob. A slob knob just replace the regular one.

4. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Do you need on because you can't reach back to the isolation valve, or are you getting one because it seems a good idea?

If the former then go for it, being aware of the limitations (see below). If the latter then I suggest you have a rethink and learn to isolate without it.

In my experience, the centre valve is the easiest (I always found the left valve difficult). The way I was shown was touch the back of the head, lean the head back until it hits the nob of the isolation valve, and then move the hand onto the knob to operate the valve. Others might put it better but, generally, if you reach the back of your head you can probably do this.

When I bought my first twinset (second hand) it included a slob knob so, not being a purist, I started my adventure into twinset diving with it. I soon found, using the slobknob, I wasn't totally sure the valve was fully open/closed and didmm't like this so started checking manually. At this point I concluded it was a solution to a problem I didn't need to solve and removed it. I never regretted the decision.

5. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Had one. Sold one. Not needed.

I can explain in more detail if required, but using one is just putting a sticky plaster on a problem and not fixing the direct cause. If everything (fit, technique, equipment) is as it should be then they are not required as valves are reachable.

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

6. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

Nice tip :) 2nd time out with my twins on sunday..should have my weighting and trim under control this week then work on valves.