1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted shearwater dive computer

Discussion in 'Personal Ads' started by Leeb2018, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

Hi guys

I am looking for a shearwater dive compter. Petrel or perdix. Let me know what you got for sale.

Cheers

Lee

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Not many Perdix computers come up and when they do they're almost the same as the new price. Petrels do occasionally come up but they too are quite rare.

They are excellent computers though. Probably the best two-button user interface I've ever seen.

3. Dave Whitlow

Dave Whitlow Well-Known Member

Each to their own. I like my OSTC (and it gives me an independent readout from my o2 cells).

4. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

I didnt think I would find any second hand. But I thought I give it a try before splashing out on a new one.

5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

For Dave... the OSTC and Shearwater computers are both excellent pieces of kit and either are an excellent choice for all kinds of diving.

I (and many others) chose Shearwater, Dave (and many others) chose OSTC. We're all happy.

6. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

You have started something now. I been looking at the OSTC now not sure what one to get haha

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

My experiences with the Shearwater has been excellent. Particularly like the two-button user interface and the single AA battery -- available across the planet -- which lasts weeks of diving and has a battery gauge that gives plenty of warning.

Not sure about the AI option. Seems one of those pay another £100 (plus £200+ for each sensor) for something that's basically of no practical use.

8. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

What shearwater are you using? I been looking at a petrel 2

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The Perdix - non AI. It's slightly later than the Petrel and, I believe, has better battery life and is a little smaller.

10. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

I have now ordered a shearwater perdix. I keep telling my self I dont need any more dive equipment and I still end up buying stuff

Wibble and splinter like this.
  11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Wait till you move on to deco. The cylinders seem to breed - now have 12 of them!

12. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

All I need is a ali80 stage and i got everything to start either training with TDI or Dive Raid

13. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Plus the DS4 + ATX40 regs (actually there's a nice set being advertised on here!).

Actually a 7 litre stage is probably better for the first level -- Ali80's are heavy!

14. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

I got a oceanic 100% oxygen reg and first stage. The dive raid instructor I been talking too said ali 80 will be all I need for now to do the 50m course they run.

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It'll always be fine; they're just heavy out of the water and a bit more awkward to kit up with.

But then again I opt for an Ali40 for deco! Lovely tin, nice and light, easily lifted with one hand, smaller and generally easier to lug around.

In the water there's little difference as they are quite light. The Ali80 has a tendency to float up a lot more than the 40 when part used, so keep the bottom clip short, possibly move the LH hip D-ring forward a bit.

When do you think you're doing your deco course?

16. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

Once I get used to my twins as I only dived my twin 10s twice then my twin 12s twice. All in the past month

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Definitely need to spend the summer playing!

You need to get used to valve drills too. It's best to be shown how to do it -- there's a couple of methods, it's all down to the order. However, make sure that you can reach all three valves and give each one a *quarter* turn to prove each one is open (e.g. a quarter turn open, a quarter turn back to the end stop, then back off a gnats cock). The more you do that, the more you get used to it, and the easier the valve drills are. If you struggle, do get someone to help show you how to reach them as there can be a bit of a knack. The manifold valve's generally done with the right hand -- a lot of instructors like that done first.

18. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Just tried out my ATx40 last night for the first time, should have read the instructions? Took the 2nd stage out my mouth and nearly took my mask off during my dry suit exercise. had to buddy my instructor while he sorted it out lol.

Wibble likes this.
  19. Leeb2018

Leeb2018 Member

the valve on my manifold is slightly offset to the right. So I would only be able to use my right hand anyway. I trying to get as much diving in as possible. I am wreck diving out of dover sunday and NDAC next saturday. Then I up for more diving with anyone whos up for it.

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Was tempted with Dover. Got a busy day caving in the Mendips tomorrow, so leaving Sunday free. Hmmm, have two 12 litre sidemount tins that are full of 32%...