1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video lights LED or HID

Discussion in 'Underwater Photography/Videography' started by jeditid, Apr 23, 2015.

1. jeditid

jeditid New Member

Hi all,
    Some advice would be great, going to go for a Gopro setup as I have a Go pro4 black and want to make most it. Have seen new Led light setups but recently some 2nd hand HID setups have popped up. Is it worth going this route to save myself £200-£300 on my first setup. And any suggestions on lights would be great.

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Not HID (High Intensity Discharge); they're old technology, unreliable, have huge power consumption and have been superseded with LEDs.

Unless you get a real bargain, go for the LEDs. There's a bunch of photographers here who'll expand on this I'm sure...

3. jeditid

jeditid New Member

4. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

5. jeditid

jeditid New Member

Yeah I've seen this set, dirdirect do it, just thought they may not give enough light for UK diving and so wanted to hear from people who have used them. I was expecting to go for 1200 lumens or higher.? So any guys on here with experience of these setups?

6. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Paging Sidemount Stu and Becky!

7. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

:D

Yes I have the go pro set listed above, and yes you are right its not really enough (tbh at all in my view let alone UK waters) unless you really want to do close ups all the time.

Light for me also do a 3XML video light which I've played with (and Stu has), its not a bad light for the money.... i do however have a gralmarine GL8 video on order, which is more of the same as the 3XML video, but 9600 vs 3600 lumens. I wanted another light cheaply (my others cost an arm and leg) and considered the 3XML as a strong contender, but for not a lot more money the GL8 coming in at £420 inc a 6.5ah battery seemed a better deal. The one problem with this is I've not had a play with a GL8 yet, but I've it in action on videos and that of the predecessor, the GL7. I'm hoping to have a GL8 on saturday, or at the very latest the following weekend, so will let you know.......I'm hoping for good things x

8. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Oh and original question..... LED all the way unless you can get some Halcyon HMI jobbies on the cheap!

Edit: Other point would be this, unless you can afford to buy two decent lights, don't be tempted to think that 2 lesser will be better! x

9. jeditid

jeditid New Member

Hi thanks for this, no I don't want to buy 2 x cheap lights and want to start on the right track. I think I'll spend my money on a single light setup to start and build it up. Like you say video lights aren't cheap and Id rather make the setup a decent one. Cheers

10. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Then you'll want some Keldan lights then :) ;)

11. jeditid

jeditid New Member

Ha, yeah I'm not that rich.

12. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I want to upgrade mine, they are upto 10000 lumens now. You could just upgrade the Led modules but you really need to upgrade the batteries too because burn times would be hammered. I've got the original batteries that came with mine before it was upgraded to what it is now, but they really don't cut it burn times wise. x

13. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

I have an idea that the F.I.T 2400 lumen one isn't bad, but I don't have direct experience. Rich Walker had a pair of 2k Lumen Solas which weren't bad at all, if they are anything close (and I don't see why they shouldn't be), it should be pretty good. They look like a similar design x

14. jeditid

jeditid New Member

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I love having expensive hobbies :-D

15. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

There is an article in this months Sport Diver mag where a pro photo/videographer reviews some high end domestic kit for broadcast quality footage. He really rates the Keldans, also says Mr Keldan refuses to make them in black. Everyone who is in the know can spot a Keldan a mile off.

16. jeditid

jeditid New Member

Purple is not my colour

17. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Nor mine tbh, but the lights are epic. Price is a bit epic too tho :( x

18. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

Hi, yes, as Becky and Zubar have already said, I use the Light for me 3XML video light.... it's rated as 3600 lumens and ideally i'd have two, but currently just the one.
    I think it's an excellent light, nice even spread of light and wide beam angle too. I still want a second, but one is doing me ok for now.

For video you really can't have too much light, so if you can afford bigger and better, go for it, if budget doesn't stretch, i can recommend the 3XML's as excellent mid-range lights for the GoPro.

19. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

I'd be very interested in a full write up on this light with a little footage if you get the time (and can be arsed).... that does seem like a lot of light for the money.... if it's decen, i could see me selling my 3XML and switching over to it.....

Incidentally... where is a good place for buying the Gralmarine stuff?

20. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Yes I will do, I've been looking at them for a while and was going to go for a pair of them before I got the Keldans, but tbh I was (and still am) a touch skeptical. They quote it terms of lumens x number of LEDs, whilst thats what L4M do too, I still wanted something that I knew was tried and tested, hence when the Keldans came up from Brett and he still had them when I had the money I went for them.

As fair as I know there is no official distributor in the UK still, I've been talking to my friends at Diving Explorers who are a UK based, predominantly Polish diving Club, passionate and fanatical with it, so we get on pretty well (http://www.divingexplorers.co.uk/pl/home). They seem to be hooked on Gralmarine.... and order directly from Poland regularly, I looked up the Polish prices, did an XE.com conversion - messaged Kryzys from DE and his figure was the same.... so sold! x

Sidemount_Stu likes this.