1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VANDALISM

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by superpies, Jul 1, 2010.

1. superpies

superpies New Member

I went diving at Stoney the other day.

There is a gnome garden above the bunk house. I don't like gnomes above water but underneath it they serve a purpose: they help to demonstrate the underwater environment to new divers and provide some humour on the way past.

My problem is that the gnomes have been smashed. Quite deliberately and methodically.

I was upset by this discovery, it shows that someone, a trained diver, has recently visited the site and quite callously destroyed a feature from which many others would derive pleasure.

If the person responsible reads this thread, I would like that person to realise that his or her actions are unacceptable and if the identity of this person were to come to light, that person would no doubt find him- or herself shunned by the diving community.

This is not the only act of vandalism of which I am aware and no doubt many of you have had similar experiences.

Let's just hope that those responsible take this opportunity to reflect on their behaviour.

2. Silty Bottom

Silty Bottom in DIRnial

Anyone notice a diver with a Fubar there recently? ;)

3. Jenkins

Jenkins Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.

Yep, the same goes for the "wrecks" and cars in quaries - what is the attraction in ripping bits off?
    I subscribe to the "take only photos, leave only bubbles" school of diving.

4. superpies

superpies New Member

Yup, there are some morons out there :sneaky:

5. Big Joe

Big Joe Active Member

I agree with that

Joe

6. puddle fish

puddle fish Well-Known Member

A real shame, I have placed a gnome in Chepstow it's was good fun and it's great to go back and visit him. There is nothing better than a gnome to show colour change at depth.

7. Smudge

Smudge Member

I think the worse part is, is that who ever decided to damage those gnomes had a buddy :mad: so that means there were two of them.
    Over the years the Wessex has been stripped, why???? what do people find attractive in damaging things just for the sakes of it !!!

8. superpies

superpies New Member

Yup, I haven't been diving long enough to have known the Wessex when it was in pristine condition but the same seems to happen to all the wrecks at Stoney and elsewhere. I went past the Cessna yesterday and that is a shadow of its former self.

The point you make about a buddy is a good one: shame on both of them!! :scared::angry:

9. Bobco

Bobco Active Member

I can also remember the Wessex when it had a cockpit and looked like a Wessex, this kind of thing does bring out the grumpy old man in me

10. Suggsy

Suggsy Banned

Yup, chavs learn to dive too :(

11. salty_scuba_peanut

salty_scuba_peanut New Member

Anyone else noticed how AG hasn't posted on this thread ;)