1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underwater technology advocate

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by James matheson, Nov 30, 2017.

1. James matheson

James matheson New Member

Hi there. I up in Canada and I'm trying to find anyone to advocate to allow a wind up clock to charge devices underwater
    Heres one I pieced together

It is a hand crank dynamo on a self winding mechanism.

There are no more clock makers in canada and the only clock maker in the world i found is hesitating.

This device will allow goggles with digital information on the screen, will allow gps signals for underwater games, and alot more besides clean energy.
    Hopefully someone will advocate for me.

This device will make scuba diving a lot more fun and safe for everyone

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Rechargeable batteries are a thing. Why have a wind up dynamo when you would just charge something up and then take it underwater.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The market for people with long decompression obligations is pretty small! One of the benefits of deco is having some chill time -- yes, it's cold, but it's also nice to zone out for a while without the modern world encroaching.

Also, I tend to have a spool in one hand attached to my blob. (That really doesn't sound right!) So don't have spare hands.

Seawater's very unforgiving for delicate components. A winding handle and output shafts will need a decent seal to stop any liquid encroachment. Maybe you could fill the mechanism with oil? BTW have you seen the size of the batteries we use for lighting and heating -- they're very heavy duty; my l-ion heater battery's rated to 220 WH.

4. nickb

nickb Active Member

I think 'crank' is the word you're looking for here

StuartM likes this.
  5. StuartM

StuartM New Member

And good luck on that GPS signal.

6. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hesitating? If they had any smarts they'd be throwing you out the door.

Nothing you've said is new, HUD masks have been done, don't sell and are often sold
    cheap (it's a mask not goggles BTW) and many computers have games now (GPS is a non-starter).

All you've got left is the wind-up idea and the market for that would be extremely limited
    to say almost non-existent. First off the vast majority of divers will use a torch that can last
    the length of the dive and just in case they have a backup. Even if the dive is extended so
    a wind-up in case of failure might be a benefit, such divers would just take more battery
    backup instead.

Computers? Well again we have backups and on more involved dives backups of backups.
    A D-Timer has a sealed battery that lasts as long as 4 years !!!!

The reason nobody has done it is simply that the idea has no market in diving.

7. speed098

speed098 Member

The level of charge you need for a H.U.D is minuscule.

These have been around for a while now in the ski industry.......just check out RECON MOD LIVE and you will find the company that provide these the battery is very small ( about the size of a small phone battery ) and powers the HUD and GPS etc for pretty much a full ski day. So for diving you are not going to have a large market requiring this device to be powering the unit for upwards of 6-7 or more hours before being able to recharge the battery, and even if you did having a double or triple size battery to extend use is still minuscule for divers to carry.

It sounds good having a wind up device to power and it has been tried on torches and radios they are great gimmicks but in the end if you need it to work NOW ! you do not want to have to spend a few minutes winding it up first.