1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Undersuits - again...

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Harvey-NG, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The heated vest is a luxury which can be done without. However when doing a longer cold dive or in the depths of winter, it's more easily justified.

Harvey-NG likes this.
  2. Harvey-NG

Harvey-NG Member

What are the vests insulating properties like when it's not actually switched on - is there a risk of getting totally frozen if the battery pack runs out mid dive?

3. nickb

nickb Active Member

They are warm.

It's a 200g Thinsulate torso warmer. They sell the exact same thing without the wiring (for about £100 less).

Santi also sell a BZ400/200 undersuit that amounts to the same thing as a BZ200 undersuit combined with the vest.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Annoyingly Santi have stopped making the torso warmers without heating. They used to do a BZ400 version which would be great when it's proper cold.

5. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Base layers. diving my o'three Ri2-100 for the first time at stoney this weekend. I've got the PBB extreme under suit, should this be enough with a rash vest underneath or is it worth wearing a full base layer underneath as well? I should imagine as i'm training i won't go much deeper than 12 metres.

6. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

If you have some base layers I'd probably put them on too. Water is still pretty cold at the min.

Graysyid likes this.
  7. Graysyid

Graysyid Member

Cheers jb2cool, not dived in May before, so was unsure. Popped into lakeside shopping centre yesterday to try and get some under amour cold gear with no luck. May have to get a cheap set from decathlon if they have any for the weekend

8. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

If you don't have any don't sweat it too much. My girlfriend has recently been diving in her MSF500tb with the PBB (non-extreme) but she had some base layers on, you don't have the base layers but you do have a better undersuit. If you have a fleece or something then just put that on top of the PBB-extreme and that'll help to keep the cold out too.

9. jfr15867

jfr15867 New Member

Otter Hammerhead dry suit with Quilted Deluxe Dry Liner as undersuit. I bought second-hand and tested it last weekend. at Stoney Cove(5-degree Celsius). Even in the water, I was sweating. I am thinking in buy a cheap pyjama before looking for a more elaborate solution. As far as it keeps me in the water is ok for me.