1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Undersuit influence on Weight

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Cybes, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

I've treated myself to a new set of Arctics. Lovely and warm.

It'll be a while before I dive them and I know i should do another buoyancy check, especially as they are replacing my summertime Typhoon wooly-bear sailing thermals.

How big a difference can I expect the Arctics to have made? (Nice, new and fluffy as they are).

It can't be much, surely.

0.5k ~ 1kg?

2. Iain Denham

Iain Denham Active Member

My winter/summer swap over combo is about 3.5Kg so yes can make a massive difference, do a proper weight check to make sure.

3. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

3.5kg!

That's the same as 3.5 litres of water. That means the undersuit must hold the same volume of air as 3.5 litres of water.

I've just raided the fridge to find something physical that holds the same volume to help me visualise this. Actually, when spread over the surface of your body from your neck down this doesn't seem massively wrong, unless you wear the drysuit in the shrink-wrapped painfully tight stylee.

'Still sounds a lot though.

4. snowman

snowman Active Member

With my usual setup, my Weezle Compact (which I usually wear) needs 10KG in fresh water - I have to add 4KG to sink my Polar Bear suit!

I have integrated weights, so have a 4KG weight belt permanently set up to add when I dive the Polar Bear (which is pretty rarely!).

I floated like a cork with 2KG extra and could only JUST get below the surface with a full tank and 3KG!

M

5. Iain Denham

Its not massively wrong I do make sure I am waited as near as I can to neutral having used @garfs weighting and trim techniques and in the winter with full kit on I only need 5 Kg (can get away with 4.5 but its tight) of weight total (I don't dive twins) so I like to think I am quite good at weights (shit at all other diving stuff though) and in freshwater I only need about 2 Kg.

6. Iain Denham

In any event do an accurate weight check.

7. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

I've never heard of Arctics described as fluffy. To my mind they are one of the lest 'fluffy' undersuits available (Then again mine are pretty old so i might be using them as an incorrect benchmark).

8. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

The difference between my Arctics and my Halo 3D is 3kg...

9. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

The new arctic expedition range is thicker and sortof fluffier.

jb2cool likes this.
  10. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

My summer undersuit is well worn. I use them as a 3 season set with my O'Three RI 2-100 drysuit.

The Arctics feel luxurious in comparison.

11. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Didn't seem any warmer when I tried one.