1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Undersuit Garments

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Pete Spencer, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Pete Spencer

Pete Spencer Member

Just wondering what everyone wears under their dry suits ... no kinky answers please.
    When I go skiing I tend to wear merino wool under garments close to the skin and then a technical breathable fabric t-shirt on top and then ski jacket/sallopetes which keeps me warm up to -10 ish
    Any reason why this wouldn't also work under a dry suit?
    The one's I've been wearing are hired with the dry suit and while they keep me warm, are very bulky and tend to smell like wet dogs.
    A good quality durable under-suit is going to be my next buy, for obvious reasons!

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

My current neoprene drysuit is a bit tight, so no room for bulk. I use a Fourth Element Xerotherm vest with a soft t-shirt over and a long-sleeved rash vest over that. I then have a thin and cheapo quilted one-piece undersuit over that. Fourth Element Arctic socks keep my feet warm. This seems to work down to 4 degrees for an hour at a time.

The new suit will fit better!

Pete Spencer likes this.
  3. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

With my membrane I first used the 200g thinsulate that came with it, but after a lot of dives the
    insulation migrated and it wasnt as good. Was trying out a cheapo Reggata Synergy base
    layer for my club and found these to be so good that I now just wear this under a set of Fourth
    Element Artics.
    If it's a bit warm i'll ditch the leggins, extra cold i'll stick a fleece over the top. Found that layers
    work well as you can adjust to suit, unlike the thinsulate.

If i'm wearing my neoprene suit, get away with the warm water rig of base layer + Artic top and
    rarely need more than that.

4. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

I tend to feel the cold when diving.
    I have a neoprene dry suit. Previously I have used base thermals (just cheap ones) under Fourth Element Arctics. And also an electric heated vest.
    I've just replaced the Arctics for a Kwark Navy one piece undersuit with thin compression base. Haven't need to use the leccy vest with that yet.
    See the thread recently called 'thermals' in the equipment forum for details.

Pete Spencer likes this.
  5. Pete Spencer

Pete Spencer Member

Fourth Element seem to get a lot of thumbs up.

6. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

I've always considered undersuits to be effing expensive for what they are but you will soon realise that, if you want to dive all year round and for any length of time, they are worth their weight in gold.

Personally I don't feel the cold that much and am OK in a compression top and thermals most of the year. During winter I have a BodyGlove suit which is brilliant - and I was lucky enough to pick up very cheap.

7. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I'm definitely not a fashionista but I do go for stuff that works. If I'm sailing, then I've found that Musto kit is designed for the job and works exceedingly well. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Same with Fourth Element for diving. It's not the cheapest, but is much better quality than some of the other kit available. For example, I bought a Hollis thick fleecy jersey thing (their equivalent to the Fourth Element Arctic top). I wore it one day and the outside had gone all 'bobbly' and I'm not sure the inner layer hadn't changed shape. Compare that to my Fourth Element fleece vest which I've worn for something like 70 dives and has been washed many times and it's still in excellent shape.

Because of this I've gone for a set of Arctic Extreme for my new drysuit. Expensive, but I'm hoping I'll be warm AND be still able to reach my valves easily. I'll let you know when I get the suit in the next couple of weeks.

Having sad that, @Zubar highly rates the Kwark undersuit.

8. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

I dive the O'Three PBB system.... to be honest.. it's "OK" I wouldn't say it's great at all. Having recently seen @Zubar 's Kwark Navy undersuit, if i were buying now, i'd seriously consider it as an option!

I supplement my PBB with a heated vest, which makes a shed load of difference as you can imagine....

I've heard very good things about the Fourth Element Halo suit too, although i believe it needs quite a lot of extra weight to sink it.... but very warm, which is after all, what you want in an undersuit!

9. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

I currently use FE Arctics with a wicking base layer and supplement it with a Santi heated vest in winter.
    I also have a FE Halo but it's a bit big and I have problems with trapped air in the suit when wearing it. It's like wearing a sauna though...

I'm tempted to try a Qwark at some point as my Arctics are 300ish dives old now.

10. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

:stinkyfeet:vomit:

11. Doomanic

Staff Member

Pot, kettle much?

At least I wash my undersuit before my buddies threaten to set fire to it...

Zubar likes this.
  12. Gareth Burrows

Gareth Burrows Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You're kidding. Your undersuit went for a walk with me to the pub for a pint in scapa.

Sidemount_Stu and Zubar like this.
  13. Doomanic

Staff Member

It was under orders to bring me back a pint.

Oh, and the man who was too bone idle to go up on deck to fart at night and went into the bar to do it instead can bugger off! :D

#13 Doomanic, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Pete Spencer likes this.
  14. MrKev83

MrKev83 Member

I've been in the Delph today and only had on a long sleeve sport style Base Layer top and polyester tights under my typhoon neoprene dry suit... It was cold so need to add some more layers next time