1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured UKDivers change of ownership

Discussion in 'Site News & Important Notices' started by gg, Feb 15, 2015.

1. gg

gg Administrator
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

Following PeterT's retirement announcement, the forum ownership has now been transferred.

Firstly, I would like to thank Peter for his hard work over the years in developing the forum to its present state.

I'm a relative newcomer to both diving and this forum, only joining in spring last year. I've enjoyed the company of people on this forum both online and meeting them in the real world. I particularly appreciate UKDivers friendly nature and I am delighted that my diving skills and interest have immeasurably improved as a result of the people I've met on this forum. I know I've a long way to go (as I'm sure you'll tell me), but on here I am surrounded by people that I can genuinely respect and hope to one day dive as well as them. I sincerely hope I am not alone in this opinion.

I consider to UKDivers be my diving club. It's like a real club, but informal, irreverent, amusing, and sometimes irritating, but always deadly serious about doing what we all enjoy. To steal the BBC's mantra: it educates, informs and entertains.

I really didn't want to see this forum go dark and disappear from the internet forever.

This change means that forum hosting is secured for the foreseeable future, the various hosting costs are underwritten for at least a year.

Management of UKDivers splits into systems administration and moderation. Your Moderators have been and will continue to do a sterling job ridding us of spam. I will concentrate on systems administration and will have little to do with moderation.

Bonne plongée (as our French cousins would say)
    Glenn

#1 gg, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    Badknees, becky9, Iain Denham and 4 others like this.
  2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

And Wibble will continue to post his incessant drivel...

becky9 likes this.
  3. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

Told you it wasn't going to be me Daz!

WillDive likes this.
  4. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

Awesome to hear :)

5. furryman

furryman hmmmm

6. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Yay we're saved!

7. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

oh ffs sake, if thats the case, then I'm off ;) :D x

8. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

*that's

Jus' sayin'...

becky9 likes this.
  9. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Offer still stands about the monthly contribution btw, anything to help x

10. 290315

290315 New Member

gg/Glenn, can you give us an introduction at some point. I'm not sure who you are, background etc or remember you from any threads?!
    Also be good if the active Mods provide an intro for the newer members (are the old Mods like Jenkins, DaveS still Mods?).

CaptainPugwash likes this.
  11. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

gg/Glenn=Wibble - as for the rest........ x

12. gg

gg Administrator

Yes, Wibble's my somewhat irreverent alter-ego that likes all the running, jumping, diving, etc. He's been on here since last April and has posted a fair few comments, some to some derision. I'm hoping that he can continue to post, but we'll wait for the jury to come back in on that one (what will he get for breaking the golden rule of multiple accounts m'lud?).

I only stepped forwards as the alternative really wasn't something I wanted: UKDivers would probably have gone dark. I'm fortunate to be in a position to offer my time and skills, so thought some effort on my part would save "My Club". That's My Club as in the place I like to go and spend time, and not my club as in chattel.

In fact I'm more than happy to transfer ownership if we were to incorporate "the club" as a legal entity. However, that's one shed-load of work and I'm not even sure anyone would be bothered. But I'll leave it up to y'all.

As for editorial control, I'm all for allowing the Moderation Team to get on with it. They've done a great job so far and long may it continue. I've more than enough on my plate to run the systems.

So, in the spirit of going forwards, has anyone any comments/suggestions where you'd like to see us in, say, a year or two?

I think maybe Wibble might make a comment in the Introduction/new members area later. That's if he's not playing mummies and daddies in the same cell as Bubba. You decide.

Glenn

13. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Whilst I do think the the current (active) mods do a good job, theres probably room to drop non-active ones - as Beaker says a bit of a heads up on that situation. I'm certainly not volunteering, but it would be nice to see an extra mod (or two) that's here on a regular basis x

14. gg

gg Administrator

Current mod list - subject to change:
    • Furryman - active
    • Gareth - active
    • DaveS - is back
    • Badknees - is back
    • Jenkins - missing in action. She's not been seen since April (hmm, I arrived in April...). I've sent her an email but haven't heard back yet.
    • gg - I don't want to be involved with moderation. I need to be a mod simply as a sysadmin.

Glenn

15. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Jenkins had a PFO, now repaired but I think the enforced dry spell meant she got more into her other activities eg climbing/mountaineering. Diving fell away.

Short term I'd like us to be more of an active club. Also as there are so many new members perhaps a run of hoodies or such like. Get the ukd brand going.

bgdiver likes this.
  16. minus273degrees

minus273degrees Active Member

I'd be happy to mod.. even if its just spam clearing

17. gg

gg Administrator

Thanks for the offer:)

Current mod list - now changed:
    • Furryman
    • Gareth
    • DaveS - is back
    • Badknees - is back
    • Doomanic
    • gg - only a mod to facilitate systems admin

Glenn

18. Gareth Burrows

Gareth Burrows Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the idea of making the forum more of a social entity is an awesome idea. More meetup, more boats etc

19. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Um. Is there site maintainable going on? Ukd is broken!

20. gg

gg Administrator

There's some issues with the DNS transfer. Tits. Up. Bugger.