1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U869 - "Hitler's lost sub"

Discussion in 'Shipwrecks' started by Alex Denny, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

So it's one of the most written about wrecks in the diving world (Shadow Divers / The Last Dive etc.) and its discover and exploration are woven into the very fabric of diver training today, once you past a basic open water certification... I was really pleased, therefore, to find the entire original documentary about Chatterton et al available on youtube:

Worth a watch for anyone who hasn't seen it and who is interested in wreck diving (even if it is on the wrong side of the pond). The documentary is refreshingly free from melodrama American "the most extreme diving in the world" soundbites and is basically an interesting documentary on the exploration of the wreck and its history.

It's sobering to be reminded of the fatalities involved in the early days of deep / mixed gas sports diving and a reminder of the risks involved and why training has evolved in the way it has...

[EDIT] The documentary is split into 8 parts but the play list should just roll on each time.

splinter, Joe and jps like this.
  2. jps

jps Active Member
    UKD Supporter

I have seen all 8 parts and read the last dive. Very interesting.

3. splinter

splinter Member

Just finished watching it. It was good, enjoyed the background story of the u boats.

It's been a while since I read Shadow Divers, might have to dig it out for another read. I've not read The Last Dive, so I'll keep an eye out for that too.

jps likes this.
  4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The book is brilliant. A great read and well written.

5. splinter

splinter Member

I managed to find a copy of "the last Dive"and just finished reading it. It was a very good read and quite sobering to see how bad things can get when they go wrong. Also a valuable lesson in not letting complacency allow you to cut corners. Well worth a read.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Alex Denny and jps like this.
  6. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Amazing how much the technology has changed in that time too. I think it's 80 metres, so well into normal rebreather diving territory these days - a serious dive, but nothing exceptional (to an experienced person, etc.).

Compare now with then, when they were experimenting with Helium. Diving air that deep... the narcosis would stop an elephant! Add to that the low-pressure cylinders, unreliable kit, lack of GPS and boat electronics (sonar)... They were diving at the edge.

splinter and jps like this.
  7. Alex Denny

Alex Denny Active Member

I guess expedition diving the Britannic may be the 'new' peak of the sport? Or is there another contender?

8. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Quite possible. Although I did watch a vid on you tube, I think it was linked from one of the rebreather forums. A guy in Italy who was diving a wreck he discovered off the Italian coast , about 160 mtrs solo off a rib with multiple staged bailout cylinders. Diving a pretty standard meg rebreather if I remember correctly. That felt quite out there to me I'll see if I can find a link.

9. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

10. Vanny

Vanny Active Member

Bugger just sat and watched that again. 2 cups of coffee and now I'm behind with the ironing !

If you can't watch it all go to 20mins in , dare you to not want to go wreck diving after the engine room view.

11. hawk

hawk Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

That is amazing and truly beautiful.

That is what wreck diving is all about for me - just a shame it's about 100m too deep!!!