1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twinset Manifold

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Cybes, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

I've been diving a single 15 bp&w for a while.

I'm looking into what makes a good twinset whilst I save my pennies to pay for one.

2*12ltr 232 euro round bottoms, 2* Apeks DS4 's with ATX50 & ATX40 secondaries, Evolve 40lb wing. Well trodden path, seems to be the way to go.

But which manifold? I was leaning towards the Halcyon one, but then had a chat with a bloke about the Apeks manifold. Ok, he was trying to sell it to me but it did look like a well put together bit of kit. Nicely built and very smooth valve operation.

Any thoughts?

2. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Definitely.

The Apeks manifolds are very nice and I paid the extra for one. Smooth, strong, well built. I did have a problem with a cylinder O-ring, but not sure if that was the fault of Apeks.

Seem popular on the boats.

Oh, and I'd definitely recommend the flat-bottom Euros. They stand upright:)

3. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

Without wishing to hijack this thread.... if anyone is interested in Flat bottom Euro's, I may have a pair up for sale very shortly.... manufacture date April 2014, so almost new and in excellent condition! PM Me for details. (Add bands and a manifold, twinset sorted!)

4. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

And likewise, I have twin round bottom euros, Halcyon manifold (really nice) and bands and also a Halcyon harness, Apeks SS backplate and Apeks wing all up for grabs :)

There's a deal to be had if you want the whole lot (which is a good to go twin set up)

Tins in test and wing has done less than 20 dives

5. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

Round bottom are what the cool kids have :)

Andy Stevenson likes this.
  6. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

Flat bottomed cylinders? Standing them upright?! I didn't think you did that sort of thing anymore

Zubar likes this.
  7. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Well I've got Fabers coz I'm a radical!
    Apeks manifold though which is very nice.

And no, shouldn't stand them up ;)

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Yellow. Hmmm nice... :)

9. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

Actually my main set are white. The mix set are yellow.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

White Fabers? Well slap my thigh!

11. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

I'm diving an Eclipse so I won't need the plate and harness. I like the halcyon single wing so will probably go for their double - 30lb Evolve, which I have used abroad.
    I'll probably go for round bottom euros and I liked the build quality of the Apeks manifold.
    I have time to look around and see what works for the people doing the diving I'm interested in. Plan is to sort out the twinset early next year. I want to spend the rest of this year improving my skills and gaining experience.
    I'm enjoying my diving, lots to learn.

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

It's really convenient to be able to stand the flat-bottom Euros upright. Particularly when filling and when donning/doffing.

Not sure there's any drawback.

13. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

They're also heavier at the base which is excellent for balancing out the heavy tops with 1st stages, often means you can just use V weights with no P weight required. Obviously this is dependant on the individual, but it's an advantage for some.

14. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

A 30lb wing will be just about OK for twin 12s but probably pushing it if you want to add stages - I'd go up a size ;)

15. Gareth Burrows

Gareth Burrows Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You got there just before I did. 30lb is marginal for twin 12s. I'd always recommend the 40lb Evolve for such a configuration.

16. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

40lb? Ok, good to know. Thanks for that.