1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twinset build

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Mako-JD, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Mako-JD

Mako-JD Active Member

About 5mm below break.

2. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok, good.

If you have options of which holes to use on your backplate it sounds like the lower holes may be better (so cylinders are lower, backplate higher).

3. John F

John F New Member

Hi all.
    I am using twin 12 apex cans on a trans pac harness with a large wing of unknown make( no markings), I need 4kg on a belt in fresh water and ankle weights, using twin jet fins, would heavyer fins mean on need for ankle weights( as I seem to get disapproving looks when I use them) , if so what dis to use?
    John.

4. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

I use Jet Fins, but even with them my trim was still very much head down until I swapped from a crap(ish) O3 MSF 500 to a membrane suit with rock boots.

5. splinter

splinter Active Member

Hi John.

Different fins might help regardless of the ankle weights. Ditching the split fins in favour of some stiff rubber fins should improve your options for finning style. I used to have some twin jet max when i was diving a single cylinder and they were great for flutter kicks, although I'd kick up the silt if I was anywhere near the bottom. I could frog kick in them, but it wasn't very effective and they were huge! I use turtle fins now, much better for a variety of fin kicks, much less cumbersome and solid and weighty. Scubapro jetfins, Hollis f1s, Apeks rk3 are just a few of the options.

Body position can help. Pushing your arms further out or bending your knees more or less can alter your centre of gravity. My feet tend to sink if I straighten my legs too much.

Make sure the harness is set up right and your tank bands are in the right place on the cylinders. I'd highly recommend looking at @timmyg from these forums blog on his rectotec website for some guidance on this.

Also you could take a couple of kg off the belt and use vee weights to bring a bit of weight further up. Probably worth doing a weight check too, you might not need 4 kg.

Takes a bit of experimenting and helps if you have someone who knows what they're talking about to watch you in the water or even better video you. Keep an eye out for a GUE experience day. They're not expensive and a great way to get a bit of time in the water with someone who knows their stuff.

Lose the ankle weights so it will be a benefit to you, balls to anyone giving disapproving looks.

Good luck.

Tim

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

6. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

7. John F

John F New Member

Thanks for all the good advice guys, my twins are away being tested and cleaned, when there back I will go to NDAC and try to improve my trim, when I get myself sorted out a bit more I was thinking of doing the TDI fundamentals.

8. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm assuming you mean TDI Intro to Tech, or did you mean GUE Fendamentals?

Personally, I would do either course as soon as you are able to. It will help sort yourself out a prevent bad habits. It's easier to learn from scratch than to unlearn existing skills.

TG

Mako-JD likes this.
  9. John F

John F New Member

Yes , sorry, TDI intro. I would like( if I am capable) to be able to do accelerated deco dive, just to be able to spend more time on a wreck.
    John.

10. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

John

You are then looking at TDI Advanced Nitrox & Decompression Procedures or Advanced Nitrox & Helitrox.

45m, use of 100% O2, no limit to deco, and a 20% Trimix if you go Helitrox.

Feel free to pm or email me if you want a no obligation chat about the course(s).

TG

Sent from my iPhone using timmytalk

11. John F

John F New Member

That’s what I was thinking, When I get my kit back I will email, thank very much,
    John.

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Just to support @timmyg's point about doing the fundies/intro to tech early rather than later. Definitely a good idea to do this as soon as you can and treat it as a standalone course - distinct from the deco procedures and others.

These courses will probably do more for your diving than any other course you will ever do as you'll use the skills & techniques learned on every dive you do.

Was in NDAC today. Nice vis as it's been closed for two weeks. We saw two recreational divers swim past about 5 feet off the bottom. OK trim and looked OK (apart from the octopus dangling down from one of them). What was amazing was seeing the "scissor kick" in action: for every downward stroke of the fin there was a blast of silt kicked up from the bottom: absolute proof of the inefficiency of that kick style where only some thrust is vectored backwards with most blasting down.

The fundimentals/intro courses will teach you the more efficient finning techniques including helicopter turns and back finning. Then it's practice time:)

13. John F

John F New Member

Hi Wbble,
    Thanks for that, totally agree about the finning, I need to get away from my twin jets. I will be booking a course, in the next few weeks.
    John.