1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twin tanks

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by Stuartlamberth, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Stuartlamberth

Stuartlamberth Active Member

Not sure if it's been asked before, but why do people dive with twin tanks?
    Seen someone today with twin 7L set up, just thought why doesn't he use a single 15L

Cheers

2. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

In short... Redundancy.

Twin 7's might give the same (ish) volume as a single 15L cylinder..... but it also gives complete redundancy. For many divers, especially those used to diving twins, (twin 12's usually) when they dive depths that suit a lower volume of gas, they'll often prefer to dive twin 7's as they are familiar with and used to the redundancy and also they can use their usual regulators without having to own a second set just for single cylinder use, or the need to keep changing the configuration of their existing regs.

It's also a more balanced setup, which some will find favourable too.

Hope this helps

Daniel likes this.
  3. Stuartlamberth

That helps
    So if I was going to change from diving with a single to a twin set up, apart from the kit is it pretty straight forward to get used to or would it be a complete new start?
    Looking at buying my own bcd early next year but thinking do I go for a twin set up or a single

Daniel likes this.
  4. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

I think the key here is experience. Not knowing how experienced you are makes it very difficult to answer.

I'm guessing from your post that you are not terrifically experienced (please take no offence by that).

Your selection will need some thinking about, the equipment you would require for twins, is quite different from the equipment needed for singles if you're thinking BCD for singles.
    I would recommend spending some time with some divers that already dive twins, to begin to understand the differences, both in equipment, setup and processes before you make your decision.

In real terms, it doesn't have to be a big deal.... providing you dive within the limits of your ability and experience and don't push beyond them just because you are potentially carrying the gas to do so! And of course dive with others that can teach you the basics of diving with twinsets..... don't run before you can walk.... take your time, build your experience and never stop learning!

I'm sure there will be plenty on here that would happily help you through this journey, with advice, with coaching (un-official) and with demo's etc...... say where you live etc.... and see if anyone is nearby that may be able to help you.

Daniel and Stuartlamberth like this.
  5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Are you coming to Vobster on the 30th or Stoney on the 7th? There'll be plenty (ok, some) twinset divers there to chat to about this.

Redundancy is the main reason. Particularly important as many twinset dives are done outside of recreational limits so there's no bolt to the surface option if something fails. A twinset is effectively two (almost independent) sets of breathing gear. But you must know and practice how to use them.

6. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

BC's are cheap, can buy very good versions for between £50-£100 (max), so don't need to wait :)
    That's what I'd do for now and forget twins, just need go diving and get enough under your belt
    so really happy with a single cylinder diving. The advantage of this approach is gas consumption
    comes down, kitting up and dive discipline gets way better and faults/restrictions with kit/trim etc.
    are identified by YOU rather than someone else. Yep you've become objective through experience,
    something that IMO makes the best divers :)

Once you feel confident at that level, that's when to start going twins, let the type of dives/diving you
    want to do dictate the change and as you've not spent stupid money on a BC, can invest in a decent
    wing/backplate. This is well worth investing in as pick the right config and it can do almost any forms of
    diving for a long time, but again that's after all that groundwork has been done on a single :)

Stuartlamberth likes this.
  7. Stuartlamberth

Thank you all for the replies.
    I'm going to get some dives in and they sit down with my local club to talk about it

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Are you coming along to Stoney on the 7th?

9. Stuartlamberth

Not sure yet might have my son then
    I can let you know nearer the time?
    I would love to have a chat to a twin set diver about it tho

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

We're frequently seen in the quarries this time of year, so if you don't make the 7th, there'll be plenty of other opportunities.

Personally I prefer going up on a Saturday as it's a long drive for me to NDAC / Stoney / Vobster; so a chance of going up on the 21st.