1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truk Lagoon

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Scuba Turtle, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Scuba Turtle

Scuba Turtle New Member

If you like wreck diving and really want to look at history, go to Chuuk (Truk) lagoon. I just came back from there and dove 8 wrecks over 3 days: and will be going back to penetrate deep into some wrecks that were more interesting (staying longer this time). There are 52 documented wrecks around the lagoon and many are shallow if you are not good on air and easy to enter the main structure with a guide if have not taken a Tech wreck course. I stayed at the Blue Lagoon and they have excellent service, plenty of boats for all levels, and good guides with each boat. Good thing about the resort is that they have a dive operation there specializing in technical diving support including custom EAN mixes, deco diving support, and rebreather support. I bumped into 2 divers from the UK taking 3 months (wow) to travel to all of the destinations in Micronesia. I also bumped into a video girl there and she will be posting some good videos of Truk but here is her site.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwdpvjExCPU&sns=em Does anyone know of a better wreck diving area and/or some of the better wrecks in Truk besides the usual San Francisco, Nippo, Shinkoku, Heian, etc.?

2. Zubar

Zubar Active Member
    Staff Member

It sounds amazing. Where are you based and how did you get out to Truk?

l'd love to go but the distance and cost will not allow it at the moment. Also I heard the hotels there are a bit ropey which would be disappointing if I went all that way.

3. mikemelville

mikemelville New Member

I’ve just come back from there myself....it is world class wreck diving.
    However, the difference was I was on MV Odyssey, excellent food/staff/boat that catered for our mixed group of Rec/Tec/CCR divers....
    I highly recommend it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

My LDS have been there a few times and rate it highly.

AIUI it's very 'American' and runs on tight timelines. Therefore tipping is de rigour and your dive guide really does affect your diving experience probably more than any other factor.

Expensive though.

5. nickb

nickb Active Member

6. Scuba Turtle

Scuba Turtle New Member

I am lucky that I go to work in Guam and also a dive instructor for MDA so I get special deals from the dive shop. They usually run really great air, hotel and dive rates but getting to Guam is the cost. from there I only spent $1100 US for 4 days.

7. Scuba Turtle

Scuba Turtle New Member

I was on the Odessey 4 years ago before the typhoon and did up to 5 dives a day ..... Won't do that again but like you said, first class out of all the live aboards. First class service, food and gear handling

8. Scuba Turtle

Scuba Turtle New Member

Nick, you are right to go with this outfit if you are a good tech diver since the Blue lagoon usually only takes you to the most public places. I arrange for the guides to meet me at the entrance of certain wrecks with an extra bottle, and I went in with a line on some of the more familiar wrecks that I dove before. You do have to tip them for that!

Big Joe likes this.