1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trawangan Dive, Lombok - CREDIT/DEBIT CARD WATCH

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by DaveS, Jul 27, 2012.

1. DaveS

DaveS Play nice. Enjoy UKD

Imagine my surprise today opening my barclaycard statement to see that Trawangan Dive took £795 off my credit card on 2nd July! I have only used Trawangan Dive once before in April 2011 and my bill was fully paid at the time. It's sleepy time there so I haven't been able to get hold of anyone at TD yet and so this is a 'beware' notice if you've used a card there yourself previously.

This matter is under investigation with Barclaycard currently but if you have dived with them previously it would be worth checking your credit card bill just in case this is not an isolated incident.

Hopefully it's a genuine error but it seems a bit suspect to me.

Kenny Bhoy likes this.
  2. DaveS

I managed to contact Sarah, the current manager, at Trawangan Dive in the early UK hours of this morning and I am not an isolated case. She told me that their bank had been taking payments but the money had not been passed onto Trawangan Dive. The dive centre took the bank to court and the bank is now trying to get them the money that they are owed.
    Whatever the bank may have done with the money last time is unknown but the bank are now taking money from customers accounts for a 2nd time in order to pass the money onto the dive centre.

I am not the first customer to contact them and complain that I have had the money taken twice.

If you have been to this dive centre keep an eye on your card statements.

Kenny Bhoy likes this.
  3. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

I always make it a point to use Credit rather than Debit cards while making payments outside Europe. That way, there will be time to stop payments if you suspect they are dodgy soon afterwards. Of course, of they take more money later on behind your back, it would be more difficult.

I inform my card companies whenever I travel overseas and if any transaction made is over £250, they verify with me before clearing it. Can be a bit annoying at times, but it is more secure.

So what is the latest update on your side? Have you got your money back?

4. DaveS

They're claiming they never took the money last year hence the dispute with their bank - who they now claim to have sued. The bank is now taking the money from cards that they 'forgot' to take after authorising the transaction.
    I'm expecting the final set of statements from my credit card which will either prove or disprove their story.

If they didn't take the money the 1st time around I guess I have no come back - I signed for it and they've just taken it 15 month late. If they have taken it twice I'm sure I'll get it back.

Does anyone know if there's a maximum time period they have to actually take the money from your account?

5. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure but I think it is 6 months. In any case, you should have Sentinel or similar card protection to cover for such eventualities. In any case, if i have been aborad and used my cards, I keep an account and check the statements to see that eveything tallies.

6. DaveS

yeh - I thought I'd done the same but until I get all the statements I can't confirm.
    I'll speak to Barclaycard when I have all of teh details to hand.