1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travelling to Egypt with dive gear.

Discussion in 'Diving Trips and Locations' started by Martyn74, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Martyn74

Martyn74 New Member

Hi,has anyone recently gone through hurghada airport with dive gear in there hand luggage ,we are going there for Xmas and have heard that spare batteries can be a problem as we are taking a go pro with us do we leave them in the hand luggage or put them in the hold,also I'm not sure where to carry my regs torch and computer, again will batteries be an issue,I'm more inclined to keep everything safe with me in my hand luggage can anyone advise us on this please.
    Many thanks.

2. Chimpus

Chimpus New Member

Hi Martyn, if you are unsure, contact the airline that you are flying with. They should be able to advise regarding carrying spare batteries.
    With regs and computer, I took mine in hand luggage. I thought they'd be safer that way than in the hold. The bag got some close scrutiny going through security checks, but once they realised that it was dive gear, they were absolutely fine.

Welcome to the forums :)

3. Col__M

Col__M Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Hi Martyn - welcome to the forum.

As Chimpus says - checking with your airline is a good place to start. Flying in to Hurghada with all your stuff in your hand luggage shouldn't be an issue. However, you may have some issues on the return leg as the security guys in Egypt are a bit of a law unto themselves, being very subjective about what they will or will not allow in your hand luggage. My regs, for example, on my most recent return flight out of Cairo were deemed to be dangerous and were placed in the hold at the gate security desk ... even though they'd sailed through four other security desks and one flight before this point, and I'd had no issues on previous trips. Other items were also either confiscated from us and other passengers (power banks) or checked in to the hold baggage at this late point. Much arguing ensued ... culminating in being told to STFU or you're not getting on the plane.

Anyway, I digress ...

In a nutshell, flight out shouldn't be an issue. Flight back, put everything in your suitcase ... or be prepared for stuff to either be placed in the hold with limited/no protection at the gate, or confiscated entirely.

4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Get cheap GoPro batteries and be prepared to leave them there?

5. Martyn74

Martyn74 New Member

Hi, many thanks for your replys it sounds pretty much as I expected reading other people's experiences ,I think I will edge on caution and be prepared to put things in the hard suitcase on the way home or wrap them in wetsuits.it's a sad affair considering divers must pump a fair amount of money into the country's economy each year.

6. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

One solid bit of advice is to always ,make sure you know how to use anything that has batteries.
    Customs etc. are not averse to checking that you know what those buttons do. If it's new then
    pack the receipt and Instruction manual etc.

7. Andy kkk

Andy kkk New Member

Hi went through Marsa Alam airport in July with 6 spare Gopro batteries and as long as the batteries will through a sizing slot simular to what they use in post offices for sizing envelopes your fine, but saying that we go back next week & am only taking 2 batteries !
    Cheers Andy K

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

8. Martyn74

Martyn74 New Member

Ok brilliant thanks ,also has anyone had any issues with small portable hard drives I'm thinking of taking one to store all my photos on from the go pro instead of buying tons of memory cards, I wouldn't want that confiscated as well ??