1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel insurance

Discussion in 'General Scuba Diving' started by JohnL, Sep 25, 2015.

1. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

New to diving and found some old threads on travel insurance but would like any current thoughts. My travel insurance is through a bank package and states the following:
    Dives up to 30m, no cover for equipment under baggage section, maximum five dives per trip, must be accompanied by qualified instructor or dive master at all times, no technical including enriched air, cavern or wreck diving, no air travel within 24 hours of diving.
    Even for a newbie, some of these will soon be restrictive. Is the answer to get separate diving cover and, if so, recommendations would be welcome.

Many thanks

2. Col__M

Col__M Active Member
    UKD Supporter

Hi JohnL

The type of insurance that comes with a bank account is generally a very basic policy that is only ever really aimed at the bucket and spade type of holiday maker. It'll cover you if you want to do a try-dive or might spend a day or two diving whilst on holiday but, if you plan to do anything else, it's pretty much useless.

My advice would be to use a comparrison site, see what results it throws out AND THEN look at the policy wording of a few in detail to make sure that you're covered to the extent that you want to be. Often, the wording on them (and therefore, their cover) can be very different. Being a skier, the one I particularly look out for is text around alcohol - "under the influence of alcohol" is very different to "too much alcohol". It's not going to be much fun finding getting left with a bill for a ??thousand euro helicopter recovery because you had 500ml of wine at lunch.

If you want specfic cover for diving there are a number of companies who cater for this - I'm sure you'll get recomendations shortly.

I have a general travel insurance policy that covers most things (and the non-diving family) and a policy with DAN to cover me for my diving.

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Hi John,

Depends what sort of cover you want. If it's for direct emergency cover - decompression chamber, hospital, etc. - then the choice is DAN (link). This is pretty much mandatory for diving in some countries, e.g. Spain. Lots of other policies available which will cover for example your kit.

If you're just doing a single or three dives abroad, they'll probably flog you daily insurance.

What sort of diving and cover do you want?

JohnL likes this.
  4. Tel

Tel Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I've used a fair few with some not being that good when things have gone wrong and
    even been mis-sold which could have been interesting. The one that has always come
    through though is Westfield, which is why it's now the only one I use :)

http://www.divinginsuranceuk.com/travel insurance.htm

If you do any trips like Scapa etc. anything that has 5 nights away, it's also worth looking
    at the annual insurance. Not only do you get all the overseas holidays sorted, but it covers
    for UK trips as well.

JohnL likes this.
  5. Pete Spencer

Pete Spencer Member

My annual travel insurance is with Liverpool Victoria and has "adventure" cover as its a premium policy. It covers "diving up to 40m, if diving with another person and both hold a certificate of proficiency". They aren't cheap but are 5 star rated. Like all things, check the small print!

6. scoobydo

scoobydo Member

What do most people opt for with Dan the silver I guess

7. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Since my bank account travel insurance only covers four dives per trip, I've signed up for Dan Silver, which for Euro90 for a year seems very reasonable, especially as it is worldwide - most companies seem to single out US and Caribbean for extra premium.

Col__M and Wibble like this.
  8. rivers

rivers Member

I tend to use divemaster insurance when i go abroad. I like it because I can purchase it for various lengths of time (9 days, 17 , 24, etc), and I only take one trip abroad per year, so it works for me. I think I paid £35 for 24 days cover when I was in Australia and the South Pacific. There is no depth limit as well.

9. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

What was your trip to the South Pacific? Did it live up to the idyllic dream? (Says he sitting at home on a wet, revolting Sunday in January!)

10. rivers

rivers Member

Went to visit my mrs who was working on a cruise ship out of Oz last year. Dived in Oz, Fiji, and Vanuatu. It was okay. Fiji was a bit boring, and I think I would have enjoyed the SS Coolidge more if I wasn't with a bunch of 9 dive open water divers

11. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Nice one. Always had this impression of the classical South Sea island paradise. Know what you mean by the OW reference; sure, we all need to learn sometime, but it's frustrating when you've paid to do the trip too and end up becoming an honorary DiveMaster until the first one chugs all their air, the Leader calls the dive, but you've still got three-quarters left.