1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel Gear

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Graysyid, Nov 30, 2019 at 3:07 PM.

1. Graysyid

Graysyid Active Member

Looking at doing a couple of dive trips next year and was wondering if it was worth shelling out for lightweight Travel equipment or just hire the gear out there? I'm going to treat myself to a shorty and take my own regs, fins and mask. Just not sure about a lightweight BCD

2. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

I prefer to dive in the same gear all the time, so when my wife and I travel I have a bag of dive gear and we have a second bag of clothes etc. The 10kg hand luggage allowance helps. I don't own a wetsuit, so will hire one if the water is too warm for the drysuit.

3. splinter

splinter Active Member

Like John, I prefer my own gear. I normally dive a backplate and wing, so on the rare occasions I dive abroad I've got a single tank wing (frog indigo) with aluminium backplate and OPH. It weighs around 2.5kg and packs up small.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. John F

John F Active Member

That is exactly what I was going to say, I use a 30 lbs wing with an aluminium back plate.

5. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Well-Known Member
    UKD Supporter

I like to just book an extra bag.

I tried to ‘economise’ with just the standard allowance on a trip this summer and wasted far more time pissing around with packing than I saved in not booking the extra bag.

Never, ever, again.

6. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known Member

Agreed - my wing has a steel backplate but I know it well. For a few kilos, it's not worth the hassle of changing over to something lighter.

Tribal Chestnut likes this.