1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torch Advice this time

Discussion in 'Dive Equipment' started by Ems, May 12, 2008.

1. Ems

Ems New Member

Hi, It's me again

I am now in the process of purchessing a main torch. Have you got any recommendations on a good affordable light?

2. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Well-Known Member

Depends on your planned budget, but the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED at around £80 is very good value. I use it.

I know nothing about it, but the latest issue of Sport Diver featured one called Intova LED torch, supposedly with a tough aluminium body, magnetic switch and "extra-bright" 3-watt LED light, all for £40. Check it out at http://www.cpspartnership.co.uk/intova/intova_torch.html

3. Badknees

Badknees Meg Pilot (retired) and Forum KGB

When you say affordable...........??? how much is affordable?

0 - 100 Go cheap and save for a proper torch you will know the difference when you do.
    100 - 200 = a fami power 50. Watt led hand held. ( had one/sold)
    200 - 400 = Green force ,FII batery with either a 50w HID or 50w led heand umbillical (had one /sold)
    500+ = Sartech(got one will never sell)/salvo/halcyon 21w-35w fully adjustable head umbilical.

4. Baz

Baz Active Member

What BK says is true but what type of diving are you going to be doing.?
    If you are going to do all your diving in the red sea then a sartek/salvo is serious overkill and airlines will love your extra baggage charges.

5. Ems

Ems New Member

Uk Sea Diving mainly.

6. Baz

Baz Active Member

Tektite Expedition or fami 50 at the very least.

Greenforce for middle of the range

the big boys of Sartek, solus, salvo Hids if you have deep pockets.

There have been quite a few torch threads lately and they all end the same way

http://www.ukdivers.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=847

http://www.ukdivers.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1053

7. Steppenwolf

That's what I meant. I am sure that the Sartek/Salvo types are ideal lights for those doing serious wreck penetration, cave diving or groping around at 35m+ in soupy UK waters. But such a torch is going to be more of a handicap in recreational tropical diving with some 20 others weilding their lights with yours. Apart from the bank-breaking cost and baggage weight issues, I doubt if other divers would appreciate being dazzed by an underwater searchlight. On most of the night dives in the Red Sea, we had to struggle to get away from too much light to enjoy our diving and occasionally switch off to enjoy the bioluminescence.

8. Baz

Baz Active Member

That's why i always ask what type of diving the thread author is planning on as i would agree a free DIVER mag torch is more than enough for tropical, recreational diving. I have a crappy strobe/torch combined as a back up.

Uk you need as much "grunt" as you can afford.

9. sira

sira New Member

What Baz and BK said, with the green force you can upgrade it as your diving changes.

10. Ian

Ian New Member

I love my UK C4 eLED. It's not a light-sabre but at £50 it was not expensive and has been fine for all the UK diving I have done, which is a fair bit. The light is a good white colour, and the batteries last for months. I know there are much brighter torches out there and for serious wreck diving in crap vis the C4 can't compete, but that sort of diving isn't really my idea of fun anyway so that doesn't matter to me!

Torches like the C4 eLED sell pretty well on eBay, so you can buy one at fairly low cost and if you decide you want something better very quickly you will still get most of what you paid if you sell it on.

Of course, it isn't sexy like a Greenforce....

Ian

11. Steppenwolf

I guess so. Greenforce lights have made it to Page 3 of most Dive magazines!

12. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

Jeeez steppy, are you on heat at the moment??? :eek:hmy:

Ellie

13. sira

sira New Member

He is just touchy at the moment over torches!

14. Steppenwolf

Hey, can't you guys take a joke? I know many of you go to bed with your torches, but while I can understand turning them on when necessary, it would be a bit too much letting them turn you on!

15. Ellie

Ellie Non scene GUE diver

Whatever floats your boat Steppy.... :tongue:

16. Badknees

Badknees Meg Pilot (retired) and Forum KGB

Mine gives me the horn evey time i turn it on!!!

Large powerfull torches are used more to comunicate than anything else. Uk diving can at time be a little mirky, having a powerfull torch allows you to keep in touch in less than perfect viz.

17. Steppenwolf

It looks like it is a bit kinky as well. :D