1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top quality drysuit recommendations

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Wibble, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I've had a look at the Santi sizing charts and sit pretty much on the border of LS & XLS. Given that my current suit sort of fits, I'm probably close enough for a standard size, provided I can get the right length.

Was admiring yours and Garf's Santis on the boat the other week. They really are nicely made. As I've said before, I'm after the last suit I'll ever need:)

2. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Well I like mine. I'm not sure you can rely on it lasting forever. If you can get an off the shelf size and it fit really well then go for it, at least then in an emergency you know you can pick another up and it will fit. I keep meaning to try some of the off the shelf to find a fit x

3. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I've now ordered my Predator drysuit and am getting measured up tomorrow.

Lots of optional extras to be fitted: Kubi dry glove system with user-replaceable cuffs, Sitech quick neck seals (which can be replaced by me), pee valve, fly zip, working on the boots but may get socks.

Also looking for a couple of additional modifications so I can clip my dry gloves to the suit when they're not attached and loops to hang the suit up.

And all for a price that's less than the Santi.

Dan Payne likes this.
  4. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

So, I've taken delivery of my new Predator Extreme drysuit and have done a couple of shallow test dives to make sure that all's well.

The Kubi dry glove system which is bonded to the suit leaked. After stripping it out which is really easy, reseating the rings and lubing with silicone grease, they're now completely dry. Very pleased with them as they are extremely comfy and easy to use. Highly recommended.

The neck seal is a silicone Scitec Quick neck seal and is excellent. Really comfortable after cutting one 'ring' off to make it slightly bigger. Extremely easy to don, but I still need to develop the knack to doff the seal from my head. Again, highly recommended.

I love the self-donning design. My old suit has a back entry which obviously requires other people to do it up. This front-loading zip is great. I can do the whole thing myself, donning & doffing is quite simple. Probably my favourite feature of the suit. I like the quality of the fittings and it seems to be just right.

The pockets are massive and have two bungee loops each and a divider panel. Can swallow two SMBs and reels in one pocket. Regretfully I didn't try the SMB deployment, so hopefully it'll be easy enough to use the pockets under water.

I've opted for neoprene socks and rock boots. They're very comfortable and warm and I think my feet have enough movement. It's an additional faff when donning the suit to make sure the boots are with the suit and putting them on. I think they're better, I'll see as time goes by. The one drawback of socks is you can't hang the suit upside down. Unfortunately I didn't get the loops fitted which I'd ordered; I think I'll get this retrofitted as soon as I can. At the moment the suit's hung from the neck with a large hanger.

I'm going to investigate getting a Hangair hanger with a built-in fan.

The quality of the suit is really good and fits really well. It's hard to say much about it as it just fits: legs in particular the thighs, arms, torso, zip. It's like it was made for me and not a statistical approximation - it was and is a bespoke suit.

Really pleased with the colour scheme, black with royal blue piping and seams. Nicely subtle. The logos are nice too. Silver logos with a subtle union flag in black/silver.

It was delivered exactly on time and to budget. Dennis said he'd get it done before he went away on holiday, and he did. Can't ask for more! Price-wise, it came in at pretty much the same price as an off-the-shelf Santi, but with all the extras and made-to-measure.

Very happy bunny. Would definitely recommend Dennis at Predator to other people.

Dan Payne and NickPicks like this.
  5. bgdiver

bgdiver Active Member

Glad to hear your new suit is matching upto expectations, I think the predator is looking like a clear winner over my original choice of Seaskin.
    Looks like I'll be giving Dennis a call in the new year :)

6. hawk

hawk Doing It Rong
    UKD Supporter

^^^^ +1

I've heard some not so good things about Seaskin recently (whereas my experience of them was top notch) versus all good about Predator.

Then again I'm hoping my suit will last me a few more years yet

7. snowman

snowman Active Member

Wibble,

Good to hear you went with Predator and are happy.

I recently had Sitech neck and cuff seals added by Dennis to my Oceanic drysuit by him and I must say I find the seals absolutely excellent. The ability to swap them easily was the big appeal, but they are a lot more comfortable than latex.

I'd love to have been able to afford a new drysuit (mine was used when I bought it!), but this has been a worthwhile upgrade IMO.

M

8. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I must say that I have had a couple of pangs of doubt along the lines of "how much have I just spent replacing my working drysuit...", but I am very happy with the result. The only thing I don't want to hear is @Tel saying that he' s got the same drysuit "in stock" for £50.

As it's black, I'm hoping it's the last suit I'll ever need:ninja:

9. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

Sounds like you got the perfect suit :)

Hope it carries on being top notch.

10. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

11. Tribal Chestnut

Tribal Chestnut Active Member
    UKD Supporter

I think my Q's are largely answered here, however, anything that you'd change if having the suit made now?

Any other handy hints/tips/advice?

Anyone else got any points to add?

12. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Ooh, now that's a good question. Now had the suit for about 16 months and done around 130 dives in it.

Bloody brilliant. Think Dennis has done a cracking job making that suit. Only time I got slightly wet was the first dive where the Kubi cuff needed re-seating. Never any grief with it. Dead easy to don & doff.

I would most definitely recommend Dennis (Predator Drysuits) to anyone. If something happened to this suit, I'd have no hesitation in buying another.

Those generic two-velcro-fastener rock boots are somewhat shagged out though. Not Dennis' fault, but will need to get another pair fairly soon as one is falling apart. They catch when putting on the fins. Resent paying £50 for them though -- but don't want laces.

13. Griffalo

Griffalo Active Member

Why not laces? I find the Velcro straps get caught on the foot pocket of my fins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. jb2cool

jb2cool Moderator
    Staff Member

He hasn't mastered the art of doing his own laces up yet.

15. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Pain to tie up; will probably (not tried it) be harder to undo when the lace has swollen up in the water; laces could catch on something in the water.

The two-strap Velcro closure shoes work, but the fin foot pocket can catch on the shoe (dunno the name of the thing)

diving_rock_boots_two_strap_velcro_fastening_-_Google_Search.png

16. nickb

nickb Active Member

You're arguing about the wrong thing. The real choice is between rock boots and integral boots and of course the correct answer is the latter.

Unless you're regularly scrambling over rocks there is no need for rock boots.

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Nope. The answer is socks and separate boots. Call them rock boots, plymsoles, whatever, but most definitely separate boots on socks.

Why... walk across a dusty, sandy, gravelly path then take the boots off, bung in a plastic bag, with the drysuit all nice and clean in the suit bag.

Or roll the suit around the gravelly/dusty/mucky integral boots.

ZX NINJA likes this.
  18. nickb

nickb Active Member

Maybe for somebody that does most or all of their diving in a quarry. But, you could always keep a bottle of water in the car and just rinse the boots off before rolling the suit up.

If you predominantly dive from a boat, like me, then fitted boots (the so-called tech ones, not wellies) are the correct choice. Plus, once you start diving in salt water Wibble, you'll learn that you need to rinse your suit off anyway.

19. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Holme bank mine? Walking across a sandy beach? Diving on a RIB (yuck - can't change on the boat) walking across the car park...

Not Stoney though. No sirreee...

20. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Oh, and a couple of other benefits of boots+socks...
    * can replace the boots when they get a bit manky or worn out
    * they're nice and snug, so no gas migration around the feet -- admittedly the tech boots are like that too
    * can turn the suit fully inside out to breathe as the socks are soft