1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top quality drysuit recommendations

Discussion in 'Dry Suits' started by Wibble, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

I would say go for a Neoprene neck seal, that won't tear easily (unless you're really ham fisted) and it's much more comfortable than a latex or silicone one. IMO.

2. furryman

furryman hmmmm
    Staff Member UKD Supporter

You can come and feel my Hammond next time we go diving....:woot:

Wibble and Iain Denham like this.
  3. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

Got a couple of questions regarding dir and drysuits.

How come the dump valve on the left arm is in a different place?

Saw it on the seaskin website as an option.

Just wondered if all manufactures do this.

Also Do you need to have a front entry suit to comply.

Thought I may as well get a suit which will do me for a fair while. The gue route may possibly be on the cards one day. If it is I'd rather have a suit that will do the job and not have to replace a couple of years down the line.

4. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Can't comment on the dump.

Red drysuit compliance, I did my fundies in a back entry bro suit. I don't believe there is a standard.

Anyway, no solo diving so your team mates can help you zip up.

Dan Payne likes this.
  5. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

The only requirements are a suit that fits, with two cargo pockets and no cuff dumps.

I've seen the dump thing on one of the websites -- was probably the SeaSkin one -- which was a bit odd.

The front-loading thing is just for convenience whilst sitting around in a cafe.

Dan Payne likes this.
  6. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

The DIR position for the dump valve is to make it easier to dump gas when in flat trim. It's not a requirement.

7. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

I bought an O'Three last year. Wonderful suit, good fit, comfortable and dry. Really durable, quality construction.
    My only concern is the position of the vent. It's on the front of the arm instead of the side. Getting the vent to the top needs a big roll to the right, drop your elbow to your side then you can pump your arm to dump the air.
    I've been diving with various tec Divers using DUI and Santi suits recently and they have a lot less trouble as their vents are on the side of the arm. Their technique doesn't work with the O3.
    Next time in, I'm going to try the short roll to the right, fill the left arm, then back flat and reach back as you would for the left post to push the air out.
    It's an extra step but if it works it'll be easier and more controllable.

8. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

Until very recently Kilam on here has been the subject of much advice from myself and others to move his dump valve. It was on the front of the his arm and it was quite difficult for him to dump from; various contortions were necessary. This went on for 8 months, and despite fundies being hard enough for him, he persisted with the badly placed dump, making it harder for himself. Very recently he moved it and is now amazed how much easier it is to dump now........ :D x

Suits: Its nice to have one designed by people that have a good understanding of the type of diving you plan to do......x

9. Cybes

Cybes Active Member

The tec lot rolled slightly to the right, straightened the arm to fill it with air, then bent their elbow to push the excess air out. Slight roll back into trim.

Simples

I can't do that with my vent where it is. If I use the same motion then I also need to twist my arm at the shoulder to raise the vent, which is difficult, restrictive and inefficient. I tend to end up either on my side or with my torso raised.

I've been thinking about this. The style I've seen and tried to copy doesn't work well with a front mounted valve so I need to use a different one.

When I'm flat with my left arm palm-up in front of me the vent is in the correct place. If I fill the left arm as normal then bring my left palm to my left shoulder as I roll flat that should push the air out.

I get wet again in 10 days so I'll find out of this works then.

If not I'll have the valve moved.

10. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

Cheers everyone. Thanks for the replies. With the likes of Othree is it something that can be moved? The dump I mean.

11. Doomanic

Doomanic Dinosaur Wrangler
    Staff Member

It is, but you'll end up with an unsightly patch.

12. Dan Payne

Dan Payne Active Member

Umm don't want that lol

13. Sidemount_Stu

Sidemount_Stu Sidemount & Sane!
    Staff Member

Give O'Three a ring... they're very helpful and will be able to tell you exactly what is achievable and how it will end up looking..... and their prices for work are pretty reasonable too!

14. timmyg

timmyg Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I had my p zip taken out when I started to leak. I didn't use it anymore as I have the advanced p valve, and £20 was cheaper than £120. The work is that good you'll barely know I had one fitted unless you really look for it.

15. clique

clique Active Member

Just adding to this - as i was the guy with the suit!

TL:DR - Don't even consider Hollis Drysuits! I strongly recommend Dennis at Predator, he made me an excellent suit in a very short space of time which got my out of a potentially awkward situation.

I was 'stitched' up by Hollis, previously I had a Hollis FX100 biodry. Broke the zip back in January, sent it off to Hollis who said they couldn't replace the zip in the UK. They had to contact there european drysuit repair site who said the same thing, eventually got a reply midway through March from there US repair centre quoting me £350 +P&P +VAT and import duty and anywhere between 3 and 4 months to return. Because the drysuit is ultrasonically welded rather than made with the traditional means there weren't any drysuit manufacturers / repair centers confident in repairing it. It seems not much 'takes' to polyurethane (PU).

Had seen a fair few of Dennis' suits before and decided that with my CCR course booked with Mark at the beginning of April I had to do something about it quick. Dennis offered to do some adhesion tests on the inside of the suit to see if it could be repaired although by this point I was fairly sure replacing the suit would be the better way to go - A massive ballache to maintain the suit, wrist seals were looking tired and the neoprene neck seal I'd had put on by another local dive shop was beginning to peel off where the glue hadn't taken to the material. And 3 - 4 month turn around time and sending to the states each time theres a problem with the suit isn't acceptable to me.

So mid March I drove over to Dennis, had a chat about getting a suit made. Was asked what sort of diving I was doing, what I was intending to do and any other requirements from a suit before being measured up. In total he spent 3 hours with me for the first measuring session, ended up with a expedition extreme with the Si Tech QCS oval cuffs and a neoprene neck seal Suit inflate mounted centrally so it didn't interfere with the front mounted counterlungs but also the oval cuffs fitted so they wouldn't interfere with valve shutdowns. Standard GUE pockets and made all black.

Collected the drysuit the weekend before flying to Malta, so he'd made the drysuit from scratch in little over 2 weeks. First time it was being used in anger was my first dive with the rebreather... Fitted very comfortably, pockets in all the right places and well... was so comfortable I can't say that I noticed I was wearing the drysuit for the week I was there!

After the 7 hours or so in the water during the course, I can't say there are any niggling issues with the suit. Theres nothing that springs to mind that would make the drysuit any more comfortable, dead impressed.

16. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

A strong recommendation indeed. Predator's looking very much like the right choice. Now, how to start the negotiation for the budget... :)

17. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

Drysuit sizing...

Obviously it's vital to get the right length, as boots can slip off your feet and you need to reach your valves.

However one's girth may vary according to the number of pies one scoffs, and by the amount of underclothes worn to keep warm. If a drysuit is sized for the maximum, does this cause grief when diving at a minimum, e.g. summer in warmer waters after a diet?

18. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

No.

If you are going to dennis, he'll measure you and know whats what. x

Edit: Don't try and overthink this. x

19. Wibble

Wibble Fish don't talk
    UKD Supporter

I'm now pondering a Santi. It's the difference between an LS and XLS

20. becky9

becky9 Diving bore!

So you aren't going MTM? Speak to JK and try some suits on, its the only way. x